Any L.A. Area Ramen Places Make Their Own Noodles In-House?

… in which case it would be extremely delicious:
egg

2 Likes

It’s a sign that the egg has been heated too long/too high for me. I pick up on a strong minerally sulphur smell and the texture is far from ideal (for me).

1 Like

After watching Chef Pepin break it down, it’s just a result of the way the egg cools off after it’s cooked. AKA if you ice bath after boiling then there isn’t a green color. Also have to poke holes in it.

The stuff of my nightmares. :fearful:
Pitan tofu is as far as I will go.

The ice bath can help one avoid the green/gray color because it halts the cooking process, thus preventing overcooking.

That said, those tea eggs my Taiwanese friends make and the roasted eggs I see in the middle east are both cooked to oblivion and they have an amazing taste and texture.

So . . . basically I have no idea but I want that ramen AND that egg posted above.

yes… that ramen looks amazing… it’s my only bookmark in venice right now lol

The problem is most don’t ice bathe/poke holes in the eggs post-boiling. So the egg continues to cook, a chemical reaction occurs at this higher temp, and I pass this egg on to anyone who will take it.

This type of egg yolk is one of the few things that make me gag, so my response is probably further out toward the end of the tail of the “love/hate boiled egg” curve.

An excellent choice, as that means more pi-dan for me!!!

Take my egg - please!

Egging you on! :wink:

1 Like

Re: Eggs in ramen

My gripe is that too many Americans get sooo hung up on the chashu and the egg.
Ramen is about the soup and the noodles. If you get hung up on the toppings you are missing the point.

3 Likes

I would argue that if you want to play at the top tier they are not mutually exclusive.

2 Likes

Tatsu on melrose does. The machine and station is clearly visible on entering. The soup itself is very good, though not quite to the tsujita-like levels that mark the very best of the best.

They’re also open quite late, which was mostly my reason for going.

Yes, I agree.

Just a shame when people discount great ramen because of a hardboiled egg like the one shown in the picture above.

1 Like

The broth and noodles really are superb. I keep says it’s about as opposite in style to tsujita as is possible. More austere maybe, yes the chashu is a leaner pork loin and the egg is hard cooked but none the less done with care. The bamboo is excellent and has bite. The both is not fatty but has a great depth of porky flavor. Noodles are thin and have a nice bite. The small amount of sides like gyoza and pork belly are made in house and done well.

Concur that Venice Ramen is great

1 Like

I mean we can complain on the internet but none of us stopped going to Santouka because of their egg…

3 Likes

Pepin insists you poke holes in every egg you boil, PRE-boiling. Just do it. It works much better

The poking is to decrease the size of the air dimple in the egg and has very little to do with the yolk getting chalky and green. The texture and color would come from cooking temperature and time.
I skip this step all the time because I use fresh eggs with little to no air dimple and I couldn’t give a shit if there was an air dimple.

Pepin says it prevents cracking and makes it easier to deshell