Any L.A. Area Ramen Places Make Their Own Noodles In-House?

Kenji Alt-Lopez experimented and found that it doesn’t. He also found that an ice bath is as effective at eliminating the dimple, presumably because it condenses the steam in the bubble immediately, and it eliminates the occasional cratered egg that piercing can result in.

2 Likes

I stopped going to Santouka because they refuse to provide renge spoons.
They said people kept stealing them, but still…

I remember at one point in time they had them at some of the Mitsuwas but not all. I guess I now know why.

1 Like

cant they buy disposable plastic ones?

the new Marugame Monzo, on Sawtelle, has these. They are very flimsy.

Ramen is about the soup and the noodles. If you get hung up on the toppings, er I mean utensils, you are missing the point.

… which is why I bring my own spoon. #becauseiwasascout

1 Like

I’ve noticed a fair number here in Vancouver use a more… japanese(?) version, something closer to this:

for my own preference, I prefer the renge style, apart from the cheapie plastic ones. The problem with those is the edges are SUPER thin and often cut my lip. Slightly more expensive plastic ones have a rolled lip on the spoon edges, but I imagine that takes more quality control, thus, more $.

Chibiscus

Is that new? I remember seeing Sun Ramen boxes at the WH location. It has been a bit since i’ve been there tho

Where did you read they make their own noodles? Love chibiscus but never heard that.

Didn’t read it.

That’s what I was told when I asked

I’ve definitely seen them unwrap noodles before on Sunset, maybe its a newer thing that they’re doing?

Dunno.

Maybe they were just lying to me.

37 PM

1 Like

:+1:

Also possible by “ramen” they think you mean the broth, pork, etc, and not specifically the noodles.

2 Likes

Good question!

No, I stopped going b/c they started to suck on multiple levels.

My preference about the egg being soft-boiled is only b/c I think hard-boiled yolks are absolutely disgusting. It’s not about “authenticity” (for me, at least).

5 Likes

Yeah but that could mean “Do you assemble your ramen bowl in-house?” Well, duh of course they do.