Any place to get OSECHI RYORI in la?

From where?
Looks great!

Wadatsumi. There’s one in Torrance and one in Beverly Hills. Only the Torrance branch offered the osechi jubako.

1 Like

Late post for posterity. The Azay osechi. Thanks to @foodshutterbug for the recommendation!

Package seemed a bit small for a full meal. This shot is all components as well as the menu.

Everything except the Ozoni. Items ranged from fine to good. The red bean rice was a bit meh but very filling. I haven’t had osechi before so the more unusual items included the Kazunoko (herring roe) and the Kombu Maki (stuffed kelp with fish), the latter of which I quite enjoyed.

Ozoni was provided with the soup separate. Combined at home and then microwaved. The mochi component was quite hearty.

Again, the package looked small but ended up being fulfilling thanks to the red bean rice and the mochi in the Ozoni. All in all, while not as luxurious as some of the other ones noted in the thread, it was a neat and tasty experience. Bigger appetities might need supplements though. Especially if they decide to avoid the sekihan. If you take that out then it becomes a bit more like an appetizer assortment.

11 Likes

Reviving. Maybe a bit too late but I just now thought of it.

Anything new/notable for this year?

2 Likes

Gozen on La Cienega
https://www.exploretock.com/gozenjapanesesakebistro/?utm_source=BenchmarkEmail&utm_campaign=Osechi_2023%2F12%2F10&utm_medium=email

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll check it out!

I noticed that Gozen has battera sushi. I am a fiend for this type of sushi have you tried it?

Belated New Year’s greetings to all!

Sorry about this embarrassingly late post, but I’ve been juggling 24/7 caregiver duties to a multi-impaired live-in relative since October’23 and finally started to get some much needed relief with PT assistance last week.

Tried the Osechi by Takuma in SaMo for 2024 Oshogatsu/NYD:

Picked it up around 4p on NYE - head chef was there - really humble and amiable guy :slightly_smiling_face::+1::heart:

Confirmed all items were made in-house except for kamaboko fish cake and datemaki egg roll. Everything was OISHII (tr: delicious) and if I’m hosting my relative for 2025, I’ll order this again. The grilled buri yellowtail was memorable and I doubt the local Japanese markets can do it better.

All the dishes were as advertised except they healthified the kuri kinton sweet potato and chestnut dish. Portion was on the small side.

Speaking of which, I went to Nijiya on NY day to pick up a $38 chirashi sushi platter (rip off - seemed like sushi starter in a packet was used). Saw they had a 20% off discount on an Osechi platter:

This was overkill and we ended up with Osechi for 3 days. Much saltier than Takuma’s, but the kuri kinton potato chestnut dish was the traditional version (had more mirin rice wine and sugar than Takuma’s) and generous serving.

Was tempted to by the roasted whole Tai snapper, but couldn’t stomach the $29.99 sticker price. Bought a fresh snapper from Nijiya for $11 and baked it in the oven instead and here’s the result:

Prepared in the style of my late mom - salted all over with extra salt on fins, covered fins in foil and raised head and tail. I didn’t have any russet potatoes so I balled up some foil and covered with parchment pieces before placing fish on top.

15 Likes

happy new year

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your photos. The Tai looks very professional and sounds delicious. Kudos for pulling off a traditional osechi ryori while juggling caregiving duties. If there’s a heaven, you’ve earned admssion.

5 Likes

Great post, as always, FSB!