Any Vegans here?

@BlurA14 is correct. It was a giant radish slice.

1 Like

Had the absolute worst veggie burger in my life at the Guy Fieri burger place in Burbank Airport on Friday. I had no time to get any real food in the area before my flight so I knew I was taking a big risk… My options were that or a caprese sandwich at the fast-casual Wolfgang Puck place. It was not one of those faux-meat patties like Impossible or Beyond, but a bean-based patty. It fell apart after the first bite and the texture was like biting into a sponge. Had no flavor, not even salt. Tried to salvage it by putting lots of ketchup on there but ended up throwing half of it away. Fries were terrible too. AVOID! :nauseated_face:

6 Likes

Thanks for the warning @hanhgry.

2 Likes

More vegan eats from the weekend.

Breakfast at Two Guns in El Segundo on Main Street. Partner had vegan power breakfast and rated it only acceptable. My veggie frittata (not vegan) was dry and flavorless, but I liked the oat milk latte. I wouldn’t return for the food.

Lunch at The Spot in Hermosa Beach, and old school vegetarian restaurant. Massive portions of heavy food. I tried the mushroom walnut loaf with mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli, and mushroom gravy (vegetarian, not vegan). Partner had the vegan super burrito (choice of beans, brown rice, baked tofu, and Follow Your Heart “cheese”) with the red sauce on the side. Neither of us liked the red sauce, but the vegan savory sauce our server brought us was a winner. The burrito was the size of my forearm. Cash, check, or PayPal/Venmo only.

Dinner at Hidden Garden Thai on Sepulveda in Culver City. I would have gone for some of their regular options, but we ordered the vegan roti with curry and vegan Thai sukiyaki. I should have asked for fish sauce on the side :grin:

6 Likes

Hi @hanhgry - I’m not sure if all these places are close together but Lemonade is probably a better option for vegetarians at LAX. Oh and thanks for taking one for the team. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

How was the meatloaf? I feel we need a recipe thread next. On another note, I am missing tacos. Almost stopped at the one on olympic and labrea. I forget the name. WOW.

2 Likes

El Chato!!

You can get veggie taco and bean-cheese burrito btw (both vegetarian)

1 Like

Yep, I’ve had a couple of vegetarian versions of the standards from El Chato. The husband is stubbornly in the El Chato > Leo’s camp. :slightly_smiling_face:

The meatloaf was tasty but heavy. I loved the texture. The mashed potatoes were starchy and bland, but the gravy helped. Plant based eating sure isn’t all light and clean :joy:

Definitely start a recipe thread!

3 Likes

Yes, I almost put a couple of dishes on this thread, but a designated thread would be good.

2 Likes

Recipe thread started here:

Was also thinking about a thread for online resources (blogs, columns, etc) and cookbooks.

3 Likes

Well it’s as simple as that! :grin: I’ll add some stuff soon. Thanks @ElsieDee!

2 Likes

I aim to please/glad to be of service/yadda-yadda-yadda. :wink:

2 Likes

FYI Jinya Burbank has vegan options now.

6 Likes

Nice. This reminds me we haven’t tried the Jinya in my ‘hood (mid-city @Luluthemagnificent) since they reopened as Bushi by Jinya (ramen/hand roll bar). They don’t have a vegan menu but have some tasty looking vegan options.

Reminds me of the Char Siu Taco at Guerilla Tacos! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

my Vegan bestie swears by Bulan Thai. He also goes to Hugo’s a lot.

2 Likes

8 Likes

I know a few wonderful, beautiful vegan women with busy lives who use Purple Carrot

3 Likes

My son’s girlfriend just posted about this Vegan Deli, calling it a new favorite.

http://counterpartdeli.com/

2 Likes