April 2022 Rundown

Happy April! No foolin’!

Simple steamed live tank spot prawn with roe, Capital Seafood (Beverly Hills)… #ShrimpHeadsRule #DimSumAndThenSome

Smoked pork belly and spring pea crispy rice, Majordomo (Chinatown)… #MajorUmamiFromMSG

Teriyaki salmon combo, Tempura House (Sawtelle Japantown)…

Takenoko, hotaru ika, shiro miso, from Kogane (Alhambra)…

When Team Shunji dined at Kogane (Alhambra)… #SGVOmakase #EpicSakePairings

Congrats to @JLee and Team PRD as Pearl River Deli (Chinatown) grand opens at its new location!!!

19 Likes

Damn those are some beautiful-looking shrimp you lucky so and so.

Tasty Box dim sum in Diamond Bar. Lots of turnover. Great pricing and delicious dim sum. The classics were well made and we’d go back. The only items we didn’t love were the turnip cake and pineapple bun. A little dry and the first time I’ve had pineapple chunks in the bun which I liked.

14 Likes

La Española Meats (Harbor City)
Jamòn Serrano

Jamòn Serrano Iberico de Bellota

Served atop pan con tomate…or alone. However you want to eat it.

15 Likes

I gotta get back there I love their bocatos

2 Likes

Sorry for bad photos/plating.

Kagura millefuellie (sic?) with cheese. We also got their loin katsu. I think I love the former way more. Friends got fish options which were also good.

Take home fatto a mano. Cooked paperdelle with pesto at home and heated lasagna in toaster oven. I think the cook at home method is the way to go they give you a ton more sauce which you can save for another meal. Both pasta dishes were top notch. It’s been a while but I like their pesto more than pasta sisters. The Roman pizza was pretty meh, kinda doughy and I think they put the tomato sauce on the cooked flat bread which makes it soggy if it sits too long.

13 Likes

Since I missed out on the Calum Franklin pop up at Barish :frowning: ended up at the bar at Citrin. Gotta be the best early bird special in town lol. Reminds me of the early days of kato. I ordered some small tasting menu size dishes and finished with the burger all in with a cocktail under 60$.

Menu

Hamachi with tangerine leche de tigre

Guinea hen cavatelli

Burger (really good)

Tirimasu -sweet rose creamery

9 Likes

Looks like a sweet deal is the happy hour 4-6?

1 Like

530 to 7! It is a sweet deal, I’ll def be back. 10$ for a well made cocktail :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Oh nice that’s pretty good that’s basically dinner time!

1 Like

Queen of Sheba Ethiopian in Inglewood We always enjoy Ethiopian food but never think to get it more often. Seems like there’s a number of Ethiopian places in Inglewood and to our inexperienced palate, it’s pretty good and saves making the drive to Fairfax from the west side.

In the same center as Queen of Sheba is a newly opened Ethiopian themed bakery, Nile Injera Bakery. Their menu looks like a mish mash of typical American breakfast type foods but they offer injera bread and feature 100% teff injera. I’ll need to check this out more in the future as I like injera bread but don’t know how to make it or source teff easily. Teff injera is low carb and low glycemic so that’s good for keeping a healthier diet.

Veggie combo platter with Lamb tibs from Queen of Sheba. Solid flavors, liked the hot sauce they provided on the side since we ordered the tibs mild for my partner. Good service. Would go back but I want to try some of the other Ethiopian in the neighborhood.

13 Likes

I noticed the happy hr menu a few mos ago and thought it looked good. Glad to hear that it’s worth a visit. Now I just need to feel comfortable w/ dining indoors again! ::sigh::

2 Likes

I went right at 530 and the bar was pretty quiet until i left and it started to pick up a bit if that helps

2 Likes

Went to Soban for the daughter’s 30th birthday lunch. It was her special request as the soy sauce marinated crab is her favorite. Did not disappoint despite the $60 price tag. As usual their banchan spread was fabulous. We ordered several other dishes, but no pics without people in them. All in all a great lunch!

Lots of leftovers except the crab.

19 Likes

Happy Birthday to ebeth!

7 Likes

Thank you! I hope you can meet her someday. She has surpassed me as a cook, so you will be delighted to make her acquaintance, along with your lovely wife (and @J_L and the family).

Factory kitchen and tres puequitos bang bang.

Maybe I was delirious but the carnitas felt every bit as tasty as el momo (it’s been years tho). Also factory kitchen makes some delish pasta and sauce

12 Likes

Where was Mei Lin eating in these photos? I want that food.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcGZfM1OGco/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

What’s the dish in the 3rd pic?

At least the cocktail is from

1 Like