April 2022 Rundown

If you are using the instagram app, she tagged the restaurants in a lot of the photos. (Tap on the icon with the person in the lower left-hand corner of the pic.)

3 Likes

Thanks. NYC, oh well.

https://www.lecrocodile.com/dinner-menu

Dine LA menu at Jame Enoteca in El Segundo. Good QPR at $45 for appetizer, pasta, dessert and glass of wine. Apps and pastas both full size servings (slightly messy photos taken after we had already taken a few bites). Smallish desserts that I forgot to take photos of - lemon pie and nutella cake that were both excellent.

Kale salad

Brussels sprouts

Bolognese

Spicy rigatoni

14 Likes

Citrin for the first time in person. Service just as great as Melisse in the before time.

20 Likes

Sonoratown

Steak burrito:

Chorizo tacos & steak chivichanga:

Steak quesadilla & chicken chivichanga:

Nersess Vanak in NoHo

Baghali polo with lamb shank:

Shish kebab:

Nan e taftoon/taftoon bread (Heavenly!):

Persian basil & onions:

Pasta Sisters in Culver City

Focaccia:

Spaghetti with bottarga:

Tagliatelle with pesto, and burrata added:

Lasagna:

Hui Tou Xiang in Hollywood

Lamb skewers:

Scallion pancakes:

Pork wontons in chili oil:

Pork & crab xlb:

Beef hui tou:

Minced pork noodle:

I thought the food here was pretty comparable to the SGV location. Our server told us that they do not have the awesome kimchi at this location yet though. :confused:

25 Likes

Best aguachile I’ve had. Lobster Paradise in Punta Mita.

13 Likes

motz oklahoma fried-onion cheeseburger

five ingredient burger #greaseisacondiment

beef

salt

onions

cheese

bun

fin

19 Likes

Hello from the Village!

John’s of Bleecker.

This is some damn fine pizza! I think Sally’s has a slightly better crust. Otherwise the sauce is great. It’s very much cheese forward but in a good way as the sweet/tart from the sauce balances it out. With a generous amount of peppercino shakes it’s f’ing great.

15 Likes

$25 for a tote bag at The Strand Bookstore lol!!!

1 Like

Fresh from the oven sponge cake. 3 for $2. Kam Hing Coffeeshop, Chinatown NYC.

10 Likes

Highly recommend trying Barbie-Q in Encino. Some of the best ribs I’ve had in LA.

I also love reubens, and the Cali Reuben is :ok_hand: the leaned corned beef is tasty and flavorful, and the sandwich is stacked! Sorry for no pic, but just know it looks like the pic on the menu. The owner is always there and hustling, making sure everything is done right

22 Likes

Found myself in the SFV this week…

&Waffles (North Hollywood)
The Belgian-style waffles here are a delight. Light, airy and perfectly crispy, they are alone or topped with traditional waffle toppings or paired with fried chicken. The Cajun chicken is flavorful, but a piece of battered breast and not very spicy. It was a nice brunch with a friend…so sorry, no photos.

Hank’s…a deli of sorts (Burbank)
If I was still in this neighborhood, I’d have choices between these delicious bagels and Lou The French on the Block croissants down the street. Nice crisp exterior and chewy crumb. I grabbed half a dozen and a couple of bialy, so the family could have bagels for breakfast for the rest of the week. They held up well in an airtight container. A nice toasting and a schmear of cream cheese had the everything, onion, plain, jalapeño cheddar everything, and onion bialy tasting fantastic over the course of Thursday through Saturday.

11 Likes

This has to be one of the best damn bodegas in the city. Korean owned at Ave B x 6th. The only downside imo is the bev and chip selection is not as extensive.

Yo check out these sandwiches……

Kimchi Bulgogi.

Pho #1

BEC with hash browns, ketchup, S&P.

19 Likes

Speak Cheezy in Long Beach

I’m not a pizza connoisseur like many on this board are, but I think Speak Cheezy’s sourdough crust is excellent. I think I like it more than Hail Mary’s sourdough crust. Loved the toppings and Caesar salad too!

Brooklyn Bee (spicy calabrese salami, hand stretched mozzarella, shredded mozzarella, grana padano, post oven of fermented red fresno chile honey):

Pepperoni (koji crushed tomatoes, borough cut pepperoni, house pulled mozzarella, shredded mozzarella, grana padano):

Little Gem Cesar salad (little gems, Kewpie Cesar dressing, pizza croutons, Agostino Recca anchovies, Fiscalini Gold cheese, soft cooked egg):

I overheard the chef’s wife, who is Filipino, telling someone that she will be making lumpia pizza soon. Sounds intriguing!

Chiang Rai in Long Beach

Thanks to @EattheWorldLA and others for mentioning this place. So freaking good. And man, that khao soi… :heart:

Sai uao (Northern Thai sausage):

Moo sahm chan tod nam pla (fried pork belly with fish sauce and northern green chili):

Midnight Chiang Rai chicken:

Khao soi with ribeye:

20 Likes

Sawada Coffee, Chinatown NYC

Hojicha, espresso, vanilla, whole milk, cocoa.

Pretty damn interesting! Don’t think I ever had tea and espresso together. The cocoa and milk hits you first than the Hojicha lingers on. I also like the dark space in contrast to the typical light wood/natural light minimalist designs you see with these bougie coffee shops.

Wasn’t a fan of the pour over maybe because I like berry forward coffees. Perhaps this is how Japanese like their coffee? I don’t know.

I’ll have to come back and try Au Cheval bacon cheeseburger! (I don’t like fried egg on a burger)

7 Likes

$5. Wah Fung is for everyone. Is it refined like Needle? No. It’s not meant to be, it’s blue collar food for anyone and everyone.

“Yat go cha siu fan. Bun fei bun sau, gaerng chong”. Sorry I butchered that in Canto I am sure

11 Likes

Been to Sawada in NYC and Chicago. I loved these drinks too. There are some places in LA that have tea and espresso drinks.

1 Like

Soothr, East Village

Goong Caree. Wonderful! There is egg in that curry.

7 Likes

Erizo market (Tijuana, assorted ceviches and tacos, $135.00 US pre tip)

Anhelo (Tijuana, baby churros)

Taco Nazo (Tijuana, bonus Al pastor taco)

Dos Brasas (SD, assorted tortas—chicken, beef and pork)

Hui Lao Shan (SD, mango desserts)

The market at HFS (SD, poke)

20 Likes

Me Gusta Gourmet Tamales in Pacoima

Went for Passover tamales on Easter Sunday.

What would Jesus eat…

One green chicken, one green pork, and one green chile and cheese.

The masa is thick in spots but it’s so light and super tasty

Dumped the green salsa on them. Damn… so good. I could eat the cheese ones all day.

Scary having these so close to me.

15 Likes