April 2022 Rundown

Finally made it over to Gusto Bread today. No lines at noon, plenty of selection, Easter Sunday worked in our favor. Got the Nixtamal Queen, Bolillo with jalapeno and the Dona, a concha with almonds and jam.

Absolutely loved everything. Light, flaky, soft, great texture and flavors. I was sorely tempted to get the strawberry shortcake. Sort of regret not getting it since it is seasonal.

Dona

Nixtamal Queen with a bite since partner couldn’t wait :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Bolillo

What was in the case

16 Likes

$135?

[deleted]

1 Like

Yes, that’s what my bill says.

1 Like

Oh, Javier Plascencia.

Attari - Westwood

Beef tongue sandwich

Annie’s Soul Delicous - Little Ethiopia

Red beans and rice :heart_eyes: is damn delicious.

Mac and cheese :heart_eyes: brought the cheese, tasty AF.

&
Bungkus Bagus - Smorgasburg

Nasi bungkus :heart_eyes::heart_eyes: loved this.

Necessary take home sambal goreng!

Went great with Mr Thao pea shoots.

Fred’s Downhome Burgers - South Los Angeles

Fred bacon cheeseburger :heart_eyes: - thicc AF, tasted like In N Out but much more meat. Bacon was also thicc AF. Probably my favorite hood burger spot to date.

Not a fan of their fries.

Vo’s Sandwiches - Garden Grove

Banh mi dac biet :heart_eyes: was pretty damn tasty. Very reminiscent of Lynda where they have excellent fillings but lack the level of fresh baguette (baguette was slightly fresher than Lynda) like Ba Le and Saigon Bakery. Their mayo is very rich, rustic sliced cucumber provided a fresh crunch and precision cut jalapeños for a sliver of heat.

Holbox - Los Angeles

Sparkling lemonade

Smoked kanpachi tostada :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

And smoked kanpachi tacos :heart_eyes:

Highly Likely Cafe - West Adams

Breakfast burrito was excellent. :heart_eyes:

Jollibee

Spicy chicken and yum burger

Tempura Tendon Carlos Jr - Torrance

Premium tendon :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Tamago with their excellent gohan and spicy condiment.

Extra tempura nori, my fav :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Kismet - Hollywood

Little gem salad

Proudly Serving - Redondo Beach

Wuz poppin burger - basically a jalapeño popper burger which was damn tasty

And some duck fat tater tots which were very crispy however I was expecting a creamy interior.

18 Likes

one of my favorite there :fire:

3 Likes

Was this a special? Damn, I want it.

2 Likes

Does proudly serving get really busy been thinking about going there but the boardwalk can be a pain sometimes

1 Like

Yeah, it was a special for the weekend. If you like poppers, definitely order when available.

1 Like

They share their location with Project Barley Brewery so it does get really busy and seating can be hard to find in the evenings. I’d say try a weekday afternoon. They are closed on Mondays & Tuesdays though.

2 Likes

I like to supplement with some bbq from the Tasty Box across the plaza as well

2 Likes

Whats good there? I didn’t even know this existing until my wife pointed out the sign while we were eating. This is a very good call because my carnivore son needed some meats to supplement the dim sum.

1 Like

had never been, glad i went

14 Likes

How many mins today from order to pickup

ten minutes around 11:30

1 Like

The Char siu and roast pork over rice was good although not destination worthy.

Tried Venezuelan style hot dog from DogR.LA who I first heard about from an LA Taco article.

It’s a hot dog cart in Culver City on Venice in front of the Smart and Final on Wed and Sat, they also just started at Smorgasburg recently.

Custom made split top bun, the standard Venezuelan dog has ketchup, mayo, mustard, garlic aioli covered with hot corn, cabbage, carrots, potato sticks and topped with a mound of cheddar cheese.

This is definitely hearty messy street food. It’s not gourmet by any means but hits the spot for this kind of food.

13 Likes

Sol Mexican Cucina in OC has a couple of locations. The food is good enough and they have a nice happy hour. Great margaritas. The best thing on the menu was the duck taco. Comes with 3 tortillas, avocado, salsa and some interesting blueberry compote.

12 Likes

We like the Sol Mexicana Cucina in Playa Vista. Not earthshattering but nice space and they have some good vegan / vegetarian options.

2 Likes