Audrey at the Hammer (Westwood): A Pictorial Essay

I used to work for DB during my undergrad days. The readership is mainly targeted to the student/staff of UCLA. Agree that QPR-wise, Audrey is a generally nonviable regular option for the local student population.

1 Like

that’s putting it nicely. wow, comparing the food to denny’s, a diner, and whole foods, ouch.

For the sake of comparison, that’s the everyday majority student budget reality (well, maybe not Whole Paycheck Foods when I was a young’un lol)…

It’s less alien than saying "An typical meal at Audrey costs one-third the price of a meal at Somni."

“The dessert menu is again an assortment of items without a clear unifying theme.”

Anyone seen a dessert menu that has a unifying theme before? I haven’t…

3 Likes

Yes. At Shunji last night the lady next to me had all 6 different ice creams. I had to look twice to make sure it wasn’t @J_L in drag.

8 Likes

That definitely would’ve been me if I went.

The taste of alcohol in the drink is barely noticeable to the causal shot-taker.

This is pretty great. The rest of the review is a glorified (?) Yelp review–the reviewer went once, ordered three food items and a dessert, then decided she didn’t like the restaurant’s style.

Fair, but that’s true for many of reviews, even on FTC as well, with the exception of folks like @Chowseeker1999 whose iterative reviews of restaurants would make Sisyphus blush.

2 Likes

If we’re not allowed to “review” (ie. share our thoughts) restaurants based on one meal, this forum would be a ghost town with @Chowseeker1999 talking to himself.

2 Likes

The Gje-listers would still be allowed to chime in also.

This is true of course, however for some reason I just feel like there’s a gulf between FTC/Chowhound and an Official Print Review (and yes I’m definitely being unfair to the reviewer, who I’m sure is intelligent and hardworking not even getting paid to write).

I guess it’s something about this being a message board where people are more visibly able to reply to agree or challenge and give their own views, as opposed to an article where any disagreements are banished to the comments section.

Let’s face it. We write about our meals - glad you put “review” in quotes - for ourselves. You don’t really think others read them, do you? I recently posted something on Yelp because it was such a fantastic pizza that I wanted to yell it from the rooftops. I wanted people to know about it. I haven’t gotten around to writing about it here as it doesn’t really matter.

who is “others”? If you’re referring to people who aren’t active on these boards, yes I absolutely think “others” read what we write. You would be surprised how many lurkers exist on these forums, not to mention people that do random searches for restaurants that google directs them here to a specific thread.

3 Likes

The irony is strong with this one, I see.

3 Likes

You betcha. I’ve actually been asked to write about my “marketplaces.” Not places that get much/any attention.

The mushroom bolognese looks delicious.

1 Like