August 2020 Rundown

That’s a lovely view :star_struck:

1 Like

Thanks trying to ride out the COVID in style!

2 Likes

Kiriko Sushi (Sawtelle Japantown) is currently offering their “tapas” box to go.

It is essentially Chef Ken Namba’s otsumame version of a ‘Greatest Hits’ album. And his signature bite, Ken-san’s home-smoked wild salmon with mango and caviar, is included! Hot weather also means unagi don, and I asked Ken-san to make me a bowl at Kiriko. Served simply with sansho pepper, the power of the eel is undeniable! Oishi to the max! Dessert was a delightful mango pudding. (Bonus desserts not pictured: Kiriko’s Ginger Ice cream and Shiso Sorbert)

But even this incredible signature bite was elevated more with the addition of Ken-san’s backyard figs this week. It is absolutely, ridiculously delicious!

15 Likes

Looks suspiciously familiar

5 Likes

I love greatest hits, sometimes you just want home runs in one package in one meal with the perfect beverage(s) to pair.

New Order: Substance
The Cure: Staring At The Sea / Standing On A Beach
Depeche Mode: Catching Up With Depeche Mode
The Smiths Best Vol 1
Sushi Yoshizumi’s kaisen futomaki

7 Likes

I need to go back to my original sushi hometown of Kiriko, though I fear Ken-san has disowned me already…

3 Likes

sushi whore… :grinning:

5 Likes

Carla Cafe LA. Instagram famous sandwich pop up. They do drops a few times a week. Need to request the link via instagram. Picked up the Tuna Chop today. It was messy. But very tasty.

3 Likes

All Day Baby has a darn good key lime pie, rivals Fishing with Dynamite, slight edge to Fishing with Dynamite for the excellent texture on their crust.

13 Likes

Agreed…I just wish there was more of a lime punch. Fishing with Dynamite for the win! I didn’t enjoy Fat + Flour’s version…the custard part was a tad too salty. Try Valerie Confections…their version should be high up on the list with FwD.

5 Likes

Went home for a week. Had a lot of family stuff planned but made time for a few meals, as one does.

Saison Smokehouse at Angler

What a delight! Sitting on the Embarcadero, watching traffic and the water. The most normal life has felt in a while.

1/2 Smoked Chicken and 1/2 lb. Pastrami Brisket

Burnt Ends Dirty Rice, Orechiette Mac and Wine Country Cheeses, Cabbage Slaw with Wild Fennel Vinegar

Braised Collard Greens with Country Hamhocks

Frosty time baby!!

Sushi Yoshizumi
Thanks @beefnoguy for keeping this place in my mind.

My friend and I split this meal down the middle. Chef Yoshizumi gave us the biggest smile as we left on our way to feast. Whether he knew this meal was only for two or not, it sure seemed like that’s how he planned things.

The four boxes were stacked one on top of the other. We ate them one at a time without peaking at the next, which was the ultimate move.

Saba Bou Zushi

Kaisen Futomaki

Nigiri Sushi

Sea Eel “Anago” Box

San Ho Won at Benu

Monterey Bay Squid Salad

Chilled Homemade Tofu with Sesame, Chonggak Kimchi

Traditional Beef Short Rib Soup

Hwedupbap

Radish and Seaweed Soup with Chrysanthemum

Samgeytang for Malbok (First of the final 10 hot days of summer)
Poached Chicken stuffed with Glutinous Rice

Lol flipped the chicken on its back and had to take a picture!

They suggested either eating the chicken with the rice or combining the rice with the soup to enjoy a porridge. We opted for the porridge, which was definitely the right move.

Dotori Choux (Acorn and Chocolate Filling) + Strawberry and Chiffon Cake with lightly whipped cream

I’d say the one miss was getting the Hwedupbap rather than the Crispy Fried Cornish Hen. It was great and we had more than enough food (especially with a Whole Chicken :laughing:) but that cornish hen would have been a nice little treat.

Marco Polo Italian Ice Cream

Durian and Avocado + Jackfruit and Mangosteen

Also a waffle cone of Guava and Soursop. Probably my favorite combo of the three, though that avocado was the highlight.

The jackfruit and magosteen was fine but paled in comparison to the guava and soursop.

Graffiti Pizza
Thanks @Robert for mentioning this place a few months back. Missed it on my last trip but really happy to have made it over there.

SG7 - Tomato Sauce, Mozzarella, Pepperoni, Salami, Garlic, Peppers, Balsamic Glaze

The Yards - Pesto, Tomato, Red Bell Peppers, Mushrooms, Black Olives, Red Onion

Island Taqueria (Alameda)

Carnitas Fajita Burrito Mojado

I honestly couldn’t tell you if these burritos are good or not. I’ve been eating them since I was a kid and they will always be the burrito standard for me.

Ember (Arroyo Grande)

A mandatory stop for me on any trip along the coast.

Grilled Peach and Wood Oven Baked Goat Cheese with Prosciutto, Spiced Marcona Almonds, Arugula & Sherry Vinaigrette

Monterey Bay Squid Roasted in the Wood Burning Oven with Chorizo, Cannellini Beans, Arugula & Aioli

Housemade Lemon Tagliatelle Pasta with Sautéed Shrimp, Sweet Yellow Corn, Red Fresno Chilies, Basil & Lime Butter

Toasted Marshmallow Ice Cream Cocoa Sponge Cake with Sea Salt Caramel, Hazelnut Crunch & Vanilla Bean Ice Cream

This picture doesn’t do the dessert justice. That marshmallow sits on top of a hazelnut bark that is topped with a layer of ice cream and a layer of caramel.

Bonus: Toto Mask

Lol my dad works in plumbing and has been sporting this mask lately.

27 Likes

You did well!!! Nice eating up here!

Hope you enjoyed Sushi Yoshizumi! Thanks so much for supporting him and coming up here for that (amongst other places), I know he deeply appreciates it very much. Which of the four offerings you enjoyed most?

Save room for Ming Kee roasties next time!

4 Likes

Damn! Chef Corey Lee’s Korean food, that epic sushi takeout at Yoshizumi, and those Asian ice cream flavors at Marco Polo! Wow pretty damn good trip

2 Likes

Thanks!

Yes Sushi Yoshizumi was epic!! Kaisen Futomaki was definitely #1. My friend and I forgot about the eel and when we opened that box felt like the meal was starting all over again. And as a starter the Saba Bou was really wondrous.

Definitely! I’ve never been.

3 Likes

This post is a HOME RUN!!!

Wow!!!

2 Likes

Thanks @attran99 I’m always game for key lime pie.

1 Like

This looks and sounds amazing!

1 Like

I might have to go just for this. Great eating, thanks for the report.

1 Like

@A5KOBE for real though it was delicious!! Yeah that restaurant is special.

@PorkyBelly lol I know right?! I was so bummed Saison Smokehouse didn’t come to LA but I understand. Glad I made it

1 Like

Did they give any Intel on angler la?

1 Like