August 2020 Rundown

Aw I didn’t even think to ask!! Lol just so in the moment

Did the new Kato menu last night. Wow, it was delicious. Better than the tasting menu food I’ve had there. Duck scallion wrap was fucking great, as were the scallion oil noodles.

2 Likes

BANG X3

KATSU SANDO
The “Kid” had a hankering for this place after we went last week.

This time he got a couple of the seaweed wrapped onigiri. One tuna one believe or not bulgogi.

Then he got a Menchi-katsu.

LANGERS DELI
Last week I popped my Langer’s cherry, now I’m addicted. I got a regular pastrami (to share) so the “Kid” could have the experience of the basic sandwich.

Perfect like last week, though maybe a tad fattier. Awesome sandwich!!

My big knock on Langer’s is how can you sell French fries that you do not salt when they are fresh from the fryer? 90%* of people ordering fries want them salted. I’ve been to places that by default did not salt, and I was so incredibly angry and disappointed to drive off and have a bland, plain french fry. Let’s ask Gordon Ramsay if he would salt these.

So, I didn’t order fries and instead my third stop was…

MCDONALDS
Salty fresh goodness.

Now, it’s almost time for dinner LOL!

*Cannot cite a source but this number feels right :wink:

18 Likes

Hi @Gr8pimpin,

Nice! :blush: So glad you went back to Langer’s again and enjoyed it. But, if you got your kid a classic Langer’s Pastrami Sandwich… what did you eat for yourself?! And if you split one with your kid, you should’ve tried a 2nd Sandwich there as well. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks to everyone’s suggestions on sushi kaneyoshi and @PorkyBelly gifted reservation from hayato we were able to ball out today

20 Likes

Eager to read your impression of them!

Wow! That is one hell of a Japanese lunch!

I think I said this before…Japanese restaurants have really step it up with the lunch and to-go game during this pandemic. The bento, chirashi, futomaki, battera/bouzushi

5 Likes

LOL!

I really wasn’t all that hungry. I could’ve eaten a whole sandwich, But here I am a couple of hours later and pretty full.

If the “Kid” hadn’t wanted 1/2 I probably would’ve tried the pastrami Reuben with subbed Swiss.

2 Likes

What more can you say about hayato? Each item just so meticulously well done. Sushi Kaneyoshi Nama chirashi was also excellent—appreciated that many of the pieces were marinated or maybe aged? And the rice was beautifully seasoned, wife, who normally abstains, ate most of the rice :joy:

7 Likes

So happy to have scored Sorrowful Rice!! Really made my day. Ate it on the sidewalk next to my car, so relaxing

Wonton Mee!

17 Likes

Nice! I think LA FTC is responsible for almost half of the Sorrowful Rice sales (only 10 made?)

5 Likes

perfect meal

2 Likes

You’re a tough one @butteredwaffles, I took a couple bites outside and withered in the heat like a petunia and had to run back to the comfort of my air conditioned four seat dining room. I don’t think I can survive in the wild.

8 Likes

Hahaha!! Not gonna lie my butt started to burn after a few minutes. I did some standing up too

3 Likes

Char siu looks on point! :fire:

1 Like

:raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands:

You sure you didn’t get howlin’ ray’s too?

3 Likes

The char siu was delicious today! And that wonton mee was so good that the youngest chowpup stole the bowl from me and it was empty the next time I saw it. He said it was the best bowl of wonton noodles he’s ever had. HCR is as glorious as always.
I’m saving the bang bang noodles for tomorrow. Hojicha pudding is dessert in a bit.
Edit: the hojicha pudding is delightful. There’s just a restrained but present flavor of hojicha…and the texture is so much more luscious than what I had growing up. I loved the fresh ginger syrup…the fresh ginger syrup has a great punch and then you pick up the warming spices infused. Totally elevated dessert…blowing away what I grew up with.

Again…always appreciate Chef @JLee and his hardworking team.
Also on today’s hitlist…
LASA - Catfish Sandwich
It’s different than ADB, but just as tasty. The fish is still super moist and crispy. I really loved the aioli in the sandwich and hot sauce served on the side.
Katsu Sando - Honey Walnut Shrimp
This is a pretty hefty sandwich! The shrimp patty is so freaking delicious…giant pieces of shrimp…and very little binder, and it still was a sturdy patty. Loved the walnuts inside and the contrasts provided by the slaw. Egg salad is going to be eaten tomorrow.
It was quite the day of sandwiches…and all really delicious.

17 Likes

Did you get the Sorrowful Char Siu Rice?

1 Like

I did. It’s my favorite rendition of char siu…pork rib cap me whenever. A different chowpup stole my bowl it was empty before I I could get in another bite.

2 Likes