August 2022 Rundown

Been a year… Zacatecas restaurant in Hawthorne.

14 Likes

Plato de carnitas?

1 Like

Yes, carnitas. Subbed veggies for the rice and beans.

2 Likes

I love that style of carnitas. I should probably learn to make them since my old favorite place doesn’t make them like that any more.

Seems to be one of the easiest things to make…. except for the swimming pool sized cauldron of lard :wink:

But it’s completely doable on a small scale.

1 Like

I’ve made carnitas, but they didn’t get crisp / chewy / chrichy.

I’m no cook but don’t you just stew the carnitas, then - if you want them crispy - throw them a la plancha?

1 Like

I think some places deep fry them.

No, the idea is that the carnitas get to the state of soft tender through braising and the water evaporates enough to then start frying the tender pieces. The issue I have found with most recipes is that a) they use too much water. b) they use too much lard. You don’t need a ton of either.

This video is a good example of the golden crust you should get in the pot (This is why copper pots are essential for carnitas, but enamel cast iron is great too) with good carnitas.

11 Likes

looks mmmmmm…but this is a chile verde video!

I’ve made them before. Long time ago.

I used lard, a very little liquid, and a narrow pot so the pork had some contact with the sides of the pot, and like @dommy said, after the liquid evaporated it fries in the lard and rendered fat. Can’t remember what else I put in there. Don’t think it was much because I think pork has so much natural flavor.

As a lazy person now, I take tender carnitas and heat up a stainless skillet (high heat) with a tiny bit of triple filtered coconut oil (has little to no flavor) and crisp them up.

6 Likes

No secret that I am NOT a chef, but I assume the process for cooking the meat shown later in the video would also apply to carnitas?

1 Like

Lived down the street from Zacatecas and was never a fan after a few tries.
The salsa and chips were especially disappointing.
Service was always excellent but not a fan of the food.

Zamora Brothers is my go to spot for carnitas, there are a few of them.
Family owned and operated, not fancy at all but probably my favorite carnitas in LA

3 Likes

Yeah… it’s only Chile Verde because she adds the Chile Verde salsa into it… Before then, it’s just a typical way to make stove top carnitas. She even says in the video, the pork side of it is super tasty as is (And it is!)

–Dommy!

2 Likes

Yep! Some folks put in some spices, orange juice and even Coca-Cola. Honestly, it doesn’t make that much of a difference. It’s better than you accompany your carnitas with a good tortilla, salsa and avocado…

5 Likes

Zacatecas or Mi Zacatecas? They are down the street from one another.

I drink the salsa at Zacatecas, next to Moy’s Market. But hey, we all have different tastes :slight_smile:

I do like Zamora Brothers a lot. I went to that one in Hawthorne several times but I think I prefer the one at Pico Union.

2 Likes

I never went to Mi Zacatecas. Tried next door place Chubby Rice once and was not impressed.

Yes, we all eat and enjoy different foods. Again, fantastic service and really nice people at Zacatecas but I don’t vibe with the quality of food.

1 Like

The place next to chubby rice is Mi Zacatecas. Has a burger place in the same strip mall.

Zacatecas Restaurant is a mile down the road

5 Likes

One of the best chips and salads around. The carnitas is top notch. It’s been years since I worked in El Segundo but it’s one of our favorites. Reminds me of El Farolito in Placentia.

4 Likes

Yes.

I am cognizant of the 2 different places.
I have never eaten Mi Zacatecas
As stated, I wanted to like Zacatecas, the service is great and people very friendly.

But I’m gonna be at Mercado Manhattan Beach, Ortega 120 Redondo Beach, even The Riviera Mexican Grill.

Coni Seafood is close to me and despite them having the absolute worst service, their chips and salsa are better .

3 Likes