Austin restaurant recs

Please feel to recommend away. I’ve been to Franklins in the past, willing to try pretty much everything. I feel they have a high concentration of Italian and mexican-mexican restaurants and those are things that we have plenty of in LA but if there’s something that’s can’t miss let me know.

If you’re there long enough to stray from BBQ and Tex-Mex:

I saw this on some Netflix food show. Looks great.

1 Like

If it’s good enough for Elon?

2 Likes

Uh actually that would make me run the other way lol.

3 Likes

Haha ditto. He doesn’t look like somebody who really cares much about food.

1 Like

Mr Happy over on HO is/was in Austin after Thanksgiving and seems to be eating well:

1 Like

Loro!

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Went to quite a few restaurants in Austin over the weekend.

Leroy and Lewis was delicious. It was featured on somebody feed Phil, they are doing more new school style bbq. We got the pork belly rib along with brisket, beef cheek and some sides. Everything was top notch. Get there early to avoid line. I think they’ve gotten crazy busy after the show.

Canje doing Guyanese/ afro Caribbean food. The top high end restaurant we visited. Super bold, interesting, and intense flavors. Named best new restaurant on water and also top 50 restaurants in ny times. Definitely a must visit.

Emmer and rye was disappointing I went there about two years ago and loved my dinner. This trip not so much.

Backspace great local pizza and wine spot everything is cooked in their wood fired oven. Super fun and relaxed.

Bird bird biscuit maybe the best biscuit sandwich I’ve ever had. Super fluffy biscuits with expertly fried chicken complemented with different sauces to cut the heaviness. Must visit.

Torchys tacos a local institution with very good tacos and queso.

Veracruz all natural great breakfast tacos.

Terry blacks bbq known for their bbq beef rib but everything was super solid.

Lots of great restaurants but everything runs so insanely heavy in Austin. I felt so meated out after 1.5 days lol

3 Likes

Wanted to give this thread a bump as I’m heading out to Austin soon as well. Any new updates for 2023??

2 Likes

I’m going in October. Interested in notes, too.

1 Like

A dinner reservation at Canje

Leroy and Lewis for bbq
Bird Bird Biscuits for breakfast sandwiches

Those were my favs

3 Likes

Thoughts on Hestia?

Canje was good but not very good IMO. That said, I can’t think of a better Caribbean restaurant.

#AskingForAFriend

How crazy would one have to be to pre-order from Franklin and bring it on the plane?

Briskets and sausages can be purchased chilled and vacu-sealed. This will totally happen.

I’m more wondering how much of the warm and sliced items can I bring with me? For reference, they only sell the proteins by the pound and require at least a 5 lb order…which if I buy a whole one with sausages, should meet compliance standards.

I’m sure someone must have done this before.

2 Likes

Why not? Doesn’t sound crazy to me. Cheaper than the whole brisket etc. I got through Goldbelly during lockdown.

I don’t think it’s crazy might smell up the plane though but it’s so good!

1 Like

It’s vacuum-sealed so no odor or mess.

I’ve brought everything bagels with whitefish on flights from JFK to LAX. Italian subs from DeFontes with all the fixings.

Vacuum sealed smoked meats are totally fine.

3 Likes