Be Happy Ice Cream

Nope. I just see the posts and then order when they announce openings. I’ll let you know when they open next. They sell out fast…the first offering this month sold out in 30 minutes. The second offering sold out in about an hour…I think.

what’s the world coming to!? a friend just bought an ice cream maker i should tell him to make money… he’s a crazy chef too

1 Like

If it’s good, people will buy it. Bonus points if it gets delivered to your house.

3 Likes

Do you know their delivery range ? no info on IG that i can find

Your neighborhood is covered…Chef lives nearby you. But general areas are LA, West LA, South Bay, SFV, SGV. No plans for OC from what I’ve been told.

1 Like

you can also set a notification on Instagram so you get a push notification on your phone when they post. That way you don’t have to randomly remember to check their IG page.

4 Likes

I’m getting 7 pints tomorrow :rofl:

4 Likes

Despite my emails to them every few weeks asking them when they are expanding delivery to the OC.

2 Likes

Just received my 2 x Harry’s Berries pints - another hit. Also put in a word with our ice cream-ista for you OC folks.

6 Likes

How was the Harry’s flavor @chrishei? My order is arriving tomorrow.

Got my order today as well. Chul is super nice. Big props to @Ns1 for letting me piggyback on the order.

Looking forward to a side-by-side tasting of Be Happy Harry’s and Antico Harry’s tonight…

7 Likes

My four new freezer acquisitions today from Chul Cho, the man behind the Be Happy Ice Cream label. (Again - Many thanks to @Ns1)…

A friendly tasting of two marvelous creations, from two very different creameries, using the same spectacular starting ingredient - Harry’s Berries strawberries - took place at Chez J_L this evening.

First, the reigning champ (?): Antico’s Harry’s Berries strawberry ice cream… This was my 3rd pint of Antico’s HB strawberry this season. The flavor: Strong, up-front strawberry taste, including a brusque tartness, with an almost salty streak as finish. It can be a bit gritty almost, flirting with sorbet in its consistency. It’s full of berry goodness, but (as I’ve always contended) much more enjoyable when smoothed out a bit by mixing with cream.

Next, the challenger: Chul Cho’s Be Happy Ice Cream Harry’s Berries strawberry ice cream… Undoubtedly the “creamier” of the two competitors, making it the winner in the texture category. The strawberry notes were milder than Antico, yet no less emphatic. It is a wondrous first bite. After coating the tongue, the second bite reveals even a bit more of the pleasurable strawberry profile. Interesting! However, after the fourth or fifth bite, the sweetness of the whole thing can get a bit overwhelming. A great ice cream, and a totally different animal from the Antico.

Verdict: They are apples and oranges, and both worthy of a try. We are lucky to have these cream masters flex their muscles in L.A. (those of you who survived Gross Anatomy will empathize with this ;-D )

Current state of play in the Sub-Zero (only Be Happy and Antico inventories shown):

14 Likes

@J_L beat me to it - pretty much on point below. Chul cooks the strawberries down first (more traditional), whereas I don’t think Antico does (which works very well with Harry’s but can explain the extra tart-ness of the fruit ones in general). Both amazing though, and we’re lucky to have variations of strawberry ice cream made with the best product.

7 Likes

aaah… so you’re one we can point fingers at as the reason we can’t get any :slight_smile:

Video from their IG stories.

4 Likes

Sorry, but couldn’t disagree more. It’s practically butter. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

I haven’t had ice cream from either place but just out of curiosity, was the Antico’s pint picked up the same day as the Be Happy one? Generally, grainy/icy texture isn’t much of a problem with ice cream especially for freshly churned ones. That problem usually comes from melting and refreezing so it has to do with how it was transported and stored. And the longer it’s stored in a typical home freezer, the icier it’s gonna get.

That’s why it’s very difficult to compare texture of ice cream from different places at home fairly.

1 Like

No time, anytime, distance short or long, my beloved Antico is not gritty. Tart maybe, but creamy, butterfatty is its game. Imho! :blush:

2 Likes

It’s all just a matter of time before it deteriorates especially since they’ve said that they don’t use stabilizers. :wink:

Better finish them quick for best texture!

1 Like

Okay! :smirk: