Be Happy Ice Cream

You’re both right. The Antico pint I tested sat for about 4-5 days in my Sub-Zero (and lawd knows how long more before that in the Antico freezer before I bought it).

1 Like

Ice crystals with size of 45um is when we can detect them in ice cream which affects smoothness and the relative creaminess we perceive ice cream to be. As you can see below, the ideal smoothness is pretty much gone right off the bat even at -70c when they go in storage.

Changes in ice crystal size at different storage temperatures ( ◇ : −18℃, □ : −30℃, △ : −50℃, :o: : −70℃) and periods (0-52 wk). a-d Values with different letters within the same storage period are significantly different ( p <0.05)

2 Likes

what is the source of that image? Who was willing to pay to figure that shit out lol

There are actually a ton of research done on ice cream! For example, trade-off between creaminess (aka fat content) and flavor release in ice cream, or adding in maltodextrin(a sugar that isn’t very sweet at all) while using less fat while retaining the same perceived creaminess. I would imagine that these research are done with grants from big ice cream MFGs so they can find a way to mass produce while retaining quality.

4 Likes

With potentially hundreds of millions of dollars of the ice cream market share at stake, I’m guessing a lot of interested parties.

Either that, or my geeky and lovable P.Chem professor in college would have done the research for free. #ThatAdiabaticLife

2 Likes

9 Likes

:raising_hand_man:

3 Likes

That’s DOCTOR Nerd to you now. :wink:

5 Likes

Got my delivery yesterday and my husband ate some of the black sesame first before I took this photo :worried:

I got watermelon lime sorbet (bottom left), black sesame (top) and Harry’s Berries strawberry (right). These are really, really good. The texture of the ice cream was not super dense like, Ben and Jerry’s but not super airy and soft either. More in between. It was kind of marshmallow-y if that makes sense.

The black sesame had a great amount of black sesame flavor. Really liked this. Way better than the black sesame ice cream from Maeda sold in Asian supermarkets.

I’ve never had the strawberry ice cream from Antico, so I can’t compare. But this was really good. :heart_eyes:Great amount of creaminess with sweetness from the strawberry. Not that much tang, just great strawberry flavor. I’ve had strawberry ice cream from other ice cream shops that taste really icy or watery, and I think it’s because of how the strawberries are incorporated into the ice cream. No iciness or watery texture here.

Watermelon lime sorbet was so refreshing! It was not super sweet and i think the lime helped balance that out. I’m so used to watermelon flavored stuff tasting like Jolly Ranchers and this tasted like actual watermelon with almost a peppery zest from the lime.

9 Likes

2 Likes

My husband knocked down the entire pint of watermelon lime sorbet in one sitting. He only gave me a spoonful in between like 2-3 of his own. It’s safe to say that he liked it.

6 Likes

#hungergames

3 Likes

Another data point on Be Happy Ice Cream. I still haven’t had either one…

4 Likes

He just posted the flavors for the upcoming order dates:

3 Likes

You beat me to it! Was just coming to post about the Harry’s berries ice cream.

1 Like

In case Chul is reading this thread: Ginger, please!

Moar sesame

3 Likes

This please. Sesame was unreal. Could use some more fig too.

3 Likes

PSA: Be Happy just dropped new flavors for purch. on IG!
https://www.instagram.com/p/CFH-G2TsETQ/?igshid=wl06piy0u39b

3 Likes

Nope. :frowning_face: Was looking forward to both, but still excited!