Best bread in a restaurant?

Oh that reminds me – the malawach at Bavel is also great.

1 Like

Warrior: Yes, the malawach at Bavel is great too. I just forgot about it. For that matter, Bavel’s pitas are also very good.

1 Like

One has to go Bavel edition: Buckwheat Loaf, Malawach, Pita, or Fried Pita

3 Likes

Byblos in La Crescenta does a good, fresh pita bread.

some of the most overrated bread/carb I had was at Lodge Bread Company. Tremendously bland, too much bread/sandwich ratio and not worth it whatsoever. Very disappointing.

The bread at Holbox w their seafood stew was top notch though.

30 posts were split to a new topic: Geezer rock: threat or menace?

I have not tried sandwiches from Lodge. Their bread on its own is amazing.

2 Likes

Other people have complained here that Lodge’s avocado toast was too thick.

How many times do you need to eat first-rate artisanal bread before you figure out that you should stop ordering it?

3 Likes

Haven’t had it since shortly after they opened, but I personally thought it was freq too burned. And I normally like a bit of char.

1 Like

Do you mean pizza?
All the bread I get from them is always pretty perfectly baked.

pizza and cornicione at lodge :face_vomiting:

5 Likes

I was actually disappointed with Holbox’s bread that accompanied their seafood stew. It was ok but almost an afterthought, cut in oddly thick slices and not 100% fresh. Seafood stew was great, though.

You ding bread that I really like and praise bread that I think is meh. If you do that consistently then you and I can serve as helpful barometers for each other.

5 Likes

Bari’s tomato focaccia was fantastic, though so filling I’d have to think about what else to order.

Some really good heavy hitters listed here. Will add Ardor’s milk bread with tomatoes.

Disagree completely. Their pizza was mediocre as well.

“first rate”? LOL not at Lodge.

There are plenty of breads at the local farmer’s markets that are absolutely astounding to get. Lodge is a nice try, but as someone else mentioned it had this burnty taste that is absolutely ridiculous for being known for “bread”.

The bread at hotbox worked as a perfect accompaniment to the seafood stew. My bread slices weren’t noticeably thick whatsoever.

No, def the bread. IIRC, @bulavinaka had mentioned that the bread he got/saw bordered on too charred. For me, it was def too dark. Again, this was yrs ago so perhaps things have changed.

1 Like

No, just clueless. You don’t much like bread, so you don’t appreciate what makes one loaf better than another or why the good stuff, which you don’t appreciate, costs so much.

2 Likes

Er, I do think the posters who called out your omission had a good point.

JMHO.

1 Like