Best in Thai Town / Little Armenia

Staying nearby. I’ll go back to Jitlada and Sapp, and will probably try Sahags Basturma. What else should be on my list? Zankou? Carousel?

Luv2eat

2 Likes

Seconding Luv2Eat.

I know the Jade Noodles are the “well-known” noodle dish here, but I’m actually more partial to the Noodles with Braised Beef Shank. To be honest it’s hard to go wrong here, just keep in mind the fish/crab curry at the top of the menu should be ordered mild unless you are very confident in your heat tolerance (at an american mild it ranked in the top 5 spiciest dishes I’ve ever had - not unbearable but very spicy).

Coming from someone who likes Zankou, Zankou is not a destination restaurant.

7 Likes

i liked the carousel down there, but havent been in a long time.
really like pailin.
havent been to rodded in a long time, but they were known for their duck noodle soup. i think there have been downhill alerts.
thai desserts are not my bag, but my thai friends love that joint in the strip mall with ruen pair.
oh, ruen pair.

Luv2Eat and Sapp Coffee Shop are easily the best thai food I’ve ever had. They’re essentially at opposite ends of what would be thai town. If you hit both, I highly suggest a Jade Noodle face off. several FTC’rs have done so, and there is no clear winner yet.

1 Like

Ruen Pair for thai
Desanos pizza is also not far

No. The winner is pretty clear.

1 Like

Is love2eat thai really in Thai Town/ Little Armenia??? Personally I would say no if you are looking for food in that area specifically.

2 Likes

Pa Ord for boat noodles.

Also might want to check out Spicy BBQ:

1 Like

Definitely give Pailin a shot. If you go to Luv2Eat, make sure you try their mussam curry.

If you want something fun for nightlife, checking out live music and buying a bottle of Johnny Walker at Darabar can be quite a trip.

1 Like

Luv2Eat’s great, I’ve been there three times. In fact I chose the place I stayed when I was down last because it was a few blocks away.

But it’s way west of what I think is Thai Town. This trip I’m staying close to Jitlada so I can develop an informed opinion about how it compares with Luv2Eat and try some of the other places I haven’t yet.

Oh yeah, that’s a must for me.

Siam Sunset for Thai-Chinese breakfast, or for lunch/dinner you can thai style Hainan chicken or pork leg rice. Get a side of oyster crepe.

Sapp Coffeshop. The boat noodles are a must!

Pa Ord. Tom yum noodles are the speciality.

Ruen Pair. Papaya salad, morning glory, and salty turnip omelette are some of the favorites here.

Pailin Thai. The Khao Soi!

Yai’s. Seafood curry pouch. And a side of rice.

Bhan Kanom Thai. Desserts. If you want fresh hot coconut cakes go to Wat Thai Temple or Mae Tings at LAX-C both weekends only

Sanamlung. Any of the stir fry noodles.

Papillion Bakery. Get the ponchiks. Nutella is popular but they have a lot of different fillings.

Toron Bakery. Lahmajune for $1.

Drink crawl…Jumbos Clown Room and Harvard and Stone.

Go a little more east to Los Feliz and go see Marty and Elayne at The Dresden and order a Blood and Sand cocktail and go see a movie at the Vista but first hit up Ricky’s Fish Tacos

And I always wanted to do Darabar like Monkey suggested. Heard the food is solid too.

Too bad no more Thai Elvis =(

3 Likes

Do a Zankou-Ro Ro’s-Al Wazir comparison.

Also in the Hollywood area you can hit up Mashti Malone’s for ice cream.

And I love Bigfoot Lodge over in Atwater!

2 Likes

For the love of god, how could I have forgotten that…:pensive:

no it’s not. :slight_smile:

Van Bakery and Bhan Kanom for the sweets

Arax falafel, Spicy BBQ Thai, the kabob joint next to Karabagh, Pailin, Sapp, Ruen Pair, Siam Sunset, Sanamluang, Sunset Pa Ord on rotation

Sanamluang is fairly solid, and has one big plus over Sapp. They are open ridiculously late.

Sapp’s better, hands down, but open is better than closed.