Best Pizza by the Slice?

Hmmmm, that’s weird.
I admit that I was confused at first until I realized the thermometer gauge is in Celsius.
Standard propane gets mine to the red zone on the thermometer 425 - 485 C (800-900 F) quite quickly.

Perhaps defective or perhaps the the burner is not properly locked into place.
Or maybe the thermometer is broken - you could try an infrared thermometer
https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lasergrip-1080-Non-Contact-Thermometer/dp/B00DMI632G/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=pizza+oven+thermometer&qid=1593624750&sr=8-4

3 Likes

I use gas and have no problem getting it to 450C. It takes around 20 to 30 minutes. I tried the wood option several times, but was never able to get it over 300C even with a 45 minute preheat. Gozney has an improved wood burner coming out in February. I pre-ordered it as I still have dreams of duplicating Judy Rodgers’ wood fired roast chicken.
It sounds like yours is a dud. Gozney has been great as far as customer service. I would contact them. They replaced my oven cover immediately when I told them of a problem.

1 Like

No, but someday I hope to throw a pizza party for FTCers. @CiaoBob and I, and @MalibuT if his oven gets fixed could probably handle 10 to 15 people.
Thanks for the compliment!

9 Likes

I need a cover. Sold out for now.

2 Likes

Wow that’s a tough seat to secure. Can I say I know the Chef?

3 Likes

Aw you’re on the VIP list.

1 Like

Thanks, I will try it again this week, and pick up the thermometer as well.

2 Likes

You’ll have to let me know how that new wood burner turns out. I was so excited to use mine, went to buy the special wood, lugged it up 3 flights, and had a 10 year old and a 12 year old wait almost 2 hours to get that temp up. Finally just made the pizzas and cooked them longer. Thanks goodness kids aren’t picky about pizza.

1 Like

I’d bring great wine :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Sounds like a deal. Once the lockdowns ease I will work to set something up. My backyard is too small, but the nice things about Roccboxes is they are very portable. If @CiaoBob and @MalibuT are into it we can arrange an occasion. I am very fond of Switzer Falls picnic area, https://www.yelp.com/biz/switzer-falls-usda-forest-service-la-canada-flintridge-2, although it is still closed, and better in the spring than the summer. Maybe Sycamore Cyn or even Griffith Park. Have to be someplace where parking is close to the picnic area as Roccboxes are portable, but lugging 40 lbs. plus a propane tank is not all that much fun.
I will do my best. The last FTC outing I attended was wonderful thanks to @attran99 and @TheCookie doing the legwork.

6 Likes

Hit up Apollonia this week. It elicited an “omg” reaction twice - once while paying ($26.xx for 3 slices) and again when I took that first bite of Acapulco Gold.

Holy shit this slice reached Prince St levels of epicness

Yelp pic cuz I savaged my slice in the vehicle before I could take a pic

10 Likes

what kind of salad is that?

2 Likes

I was skeptical but the results far exceeded my expectations

1 Like

Glad you enjoyed it! We really enjoyed the pepperoni with their hot honey and burrata. The sticker shock for a whole pie is real but it being so delicious I don’t see it as any different from buying two pizzas from pizzeria mozza. Definitely feeds more ppl.

I want to come! I can bring desert.

Now you know why they put “Gold” in the name.

2 Likes

It’s actually cheaper than the pepperoni with burrata and spicy honey mentioned above

I gotta say I do think this place is worth the price tag.

2 Likes

I really enjoyed my slices there. It’s very unique. Not Sicilian or focaccia… but i agree it’s quite good.

Haven’t been in awhile. I don’t remember it being that expensive.

BTW, last time I sucked down my 3 slices in my car within minutes… I feel ya.

2 Likes

I went to Apollonia’s last week. Their Detroit-style slices are pricey - pepperoni runs $7, while the Acapulco Gold and Pork are $8. The pork loin was my favorite of the three, with the Acapulco Gold a close runner up.

I picked up a couple of plain cheese thin crust slices for my daughter, which were only $3.50 each, though nowhere near as decadent.

7 Likes

yeah, thats way too much greenery on a slice for me!

1 Like