Best Pizza by the Slice?

9 Likes

Enjoyed ourselves today picking up from the Wagon. Good stuff

But their cookery and heating technique really bothered me. Maybe because I watched it intimately at a pizza shop as a teenager I’d notice these things. Or maybe it’s because I like hot pizza lol.

My whole pizza luckily was fresh out the oven, so no problem. It was underdone on top by a couple color gradients because he was using 1 oven to bake pizza reheat slices so kept cooling the oven off every time the door opened. Fine. Not the biggest deal.

But I also picked up that other slice there and they reheated it and it was nowhere near hot on top. Again top heat issues. Ricotta was warm. It was also underbaked as all of their slices looked because they’re accounting for the reheat but then they’re not rehearing it’s enough. The way I’m used to seeing pies for slices is much closer to fully done and maybe it’ll risk overdone on reheat but that’s a noob error. So slice was shitty.

Then this other dude comes to pick up 2 pizzas 2 go, preordered, dude goes once he hears the order, retrieves 2 par-baked pies and throws them on the damn damn no top heat having oven and the guy pays something like 45$ for flour water tomato and cheese with questionable bake.

Maybe I’m too anal about this. Or maybe it’s not that hard to do it the right way. What’s the rush? I’d rather wait 5 more minutes than them try to be ready too early. It was dead anyway. What happens to pizza when it comes out, cools off, then rebakes is very different than pizza straight out of the oven. Cheese doesn’t even like to melt twice

Sorry. I’m annoying about pizza. Still good tho. Lol

8 Likes

So you just bought some pizza flour and we know you are a brilliant cook. I haven’t bought pizza in years because mine is so much better. Its not that hard. Before I bought a roccbox I did it in the oven. Why settle for less than the best?
Edited to add notes:

1. Classic Margarita - stayed on a bit too long
  2. Neapolitan with lardo and basil - looks burned but perfect
  3. Detroit with pepperoni
  4. Detroit crust edge showing frico
  5. NY pepperoni
19 Likes

Brilliantly done!

I was picking up for mama in the valley though. Had to be takeout

How are you getting your oven this hot ?

2 Likes

I now use a roccbox, Pizza Ovens | Outdoor Pizza Ovens | Gozney. Best present my wife ever bought me (honestly I told her to buy it for me). In your oven you need to buy a pizza steel and put it on a tray on the top level. Preheat it on highest heat for at least 45 minutes. Switch to broil on high for three minutes, switch back to highest heat slide pizza in. Depending on the type you are making cooking switch back to broil for the last few minutes. Highly recommend Ken Forkish’s book “Elements of Pizza”.
BTW my spring crop of sorrel is going crazy. So sweet (for sorrel)! Wish I could give you some.

3 Likes

Yes I’ve done that with my stone. Thanks for encouragement. Eventually I’ll have an outdoor oven

2 Likes

Sorry. Should have assumed you knew this.

Duuuuuude
That’s georg!

2 Likes

Been eyeing the Roccbox or the Ooni for at least a year. I haven’t been able to get myself to pull the trigger but your pics might be the straw that broke the camels back. My wife has been stepping up her dough game and we have a good pizza dough. The pizza comes out mediocre because we’re using our not hot enough oven.

2 Likes

Here is Kenji’s comparison of the two, The Best Pizza Oven: Ooni Koda 16 vs. Roccbox - YouTube. He comes down slightly on the side of the Ooni. I have been more than satisfied with the Roccbox.

1 Like

@ebethsdad is right - the RoccBox is a game changer, if you love pizza and don’t mind some home cooking.
I am two weeks into playing with mine. Learning to stretch dough is the hardest part (most of my pies come out about as round as the wheels on the Flintstones car) and even that is coming easier and easier. I have only had one pie go up in flames and I haven’t burnt the neighborhood down. And the flavors and crust are as good as many of the best places in town. An 850 degree oven in 35 minutes of heating is just so much fun - in a few days even the lamest chef will feel like tossing dough in the air.
Here are a few shots.

21 Likes

Wow you are so far ahead of what I was doing after two weeks! Great stuff!!

2 Likes

Your undercarriage is just lovely, CB…

3 Likes

You really know how to make an FTCman blush…

2 Likes

I started reminding the pizzaioli to make sure its hot whenever I order reheats…worked at Superfine yesterday…2 excellent pepperoni slices

1 Like

30 mins at 850 degrees?

It takes the oven about 30 mins to reach 850
Not cooking time!

2 Likes

I knew something wasn’t right…thered be nothing but char after 30 mins…thanks

I have the RoccBox too, do you use the gas or wood option? Haven’t been able to get it to that high of a heat level, even with gas (wood was a disaster), so wondering if I am doing something wrong. Appreciate any hints you may have (otherwise maybe I just have a dud).

1 Like

wow do you deliver??

1 Like