Box your own leftovers, please!

This restaurant trend started before the pandemic. Want to take home your leftovers? The staff will bring you containers. Pack them yourself. What ever happened to full-service restaurants? Do you mind boxing your own leftovers?

Not in the least. And I overheard a server a few month ago telling a diner that they weren’t allowed to due to covid. I don’t know if that’s true but…

Boxing one’s own leftovers is the ultimate test of moral character and a person’s capacity to be self-governing.

2 Likes

I prefer it. I know how I want my food packed. Even in the before times, I asked for a container. You would rather have someone else do it?

5 Likes

We always prefer to bag our own groceries because we know the way the categories will be stored at home. And I certainly prefer to handle any takeaway leftovers myself. Again, how I prefer them separated or combined. Has nothing to do with moral fiber or character and everything with control.

4 Likes

I like to go in the restaurant’s kitchen and cook my own food using groceries I brought from home.

Is there a shopping cart involved?

5 Likes

He brings his own. To carry his provisions.

3 Likes

Of course I do. I’m a self-governing person of sound moral character.

After what I witnessed in my waitressing days I don’t let my food go back to the kitchen and insist on boxing it myself. Sometimes I relent in swanky restaurants because etiquette, but mostly I finish the meal so I don’t have to… because etiquette.

5 Likes

Like if you opened the box the next day for lunch and realized it was someone else’s.

1 Like

Like some busy bussers & waitstaff don’t care whose utensils they use to scrape your food into the box. Blech!

3 Likes

What I don’t know has never hurt me :slight_smile:

But what you suspect or worry about can diminish enjoyment.

Not for me :slight_smile: I drink tap water over almost the entire planet. I eat street food in 'third world nations" even chicken :slight_smile:

2 Likes

LOL! Husband and I frequently laugh about and wonder how we’ve survived the zillion street food meals we’ve enjoyed. We’ve never had qualms except for noticing after the fact that the home-brew soft drink he bought to accompany some house made hand pies had been put up in a recycled still labeled bottle from another continent. Tant pis. Was delicious!

1 Like

We may need to travel together up a favorite industrial side street in Rio. Get great food and drinks. BTW the alcohol is a disinfectant :slight_smile:

I know, sorry, lol. But if it’s any consolation I never witnessed it in the high-end places I’ve worked. But really busy, casual places? Box your own food.

1 Like

I don’t mind boxing my own food to go . I prefer it . As I rarely go out to eat . I don’t like some foods to touch in the to go box .

1 Like

Interesting observations. I never worried about it, having the staff box it for me I mean. So, the rule of thumb about leftovers is: box your own at low end restos and not at high end spots? Are they more trustworthy?