Bulgarini Gelato

new pizza oven, who dis? ftc pizza party?

menu

16 Likes

Let’s do it!

2 Likes

okay the pizza, at least the square slice, is not ready for prime time yet. my slice was flaccid, soggy, doughy and undercooked. I couldn’t even tilt it up to get an undercarriage shot. not even a second reheat at home could save this $9 slice. i also found a piece of inedible plastic wrap on my slice too.
no bueno. luckily i had some gelato to wash the taste of raw dough out of my mouth. :face_vomiting:

5 Likes

I visited BG last month after reading the effusive praises here on FTC. And I have to say it was a disappointment. Not bad but not that great. It was only for lunch and no gelato was involved. I was there for the pasta. My wild boar pappardelle was fine, I liked the firm pasta. But I wasn’t sure what I missing–I was expecting it to be much more interesting and complex. Maybe its subtleness was lost on me. If I was alone, I would say GB was alright maybe worth another visit for to try other items on the menu. Unfortunately, my friends did not enjoy their lunch at all. Didn’t think there was anything special with the food and unimpressed with portions (particularly the soup and salad). I think the worst part, which may have colored their experience was the service. We were the only table at lunch and it took forever for our order to be taken and then there was another long wait for our food to reach our table. To top it off, our bill was overcharged. My friend picked up the bill and I was embarrassed by it all because I had suggested BG. I mollified my friend by suggesting the overage may have been a service/healthcare or Covid-related charge?

Luckily, my friend and I met for dinner at Tatsunoya the next day. Had a great meal there and friend forgave me for BG!

7 Likes

That photo already says everything. No words needed.

1 Like

How big was that $9 slice ?

1 Like

about 5x5 inches

1 Like

You went to Bulgarini Gelato and didn’t get gelato?? Your experience is not unusual for Bulgarini, but there is a whole lot that you would be willing to forgive after a scoop or two of Leo’s gelato/sorbet/granita. :blush:

5 Likes

just checked my receipt, it was a $10 slice.

My half-hearted calls for gelato to follow our lackluster lunch fell on deaf ears.

Gelato is delicious but I’m much more of a savory food person. I can pass on dessert most of the time. I don’t rule out dropping by BG for a scoop next time I’m in town.

2 Likes

Any of his nut gelatos are not overly sweet.

1 Like

That looks very overloaded. I love Leo, but he needs to work on the pizza.
IMHO crust is the most important element and there are way too many toppings on that - as much as I love mushrooms.

6 Likes

Truth.

3 Likes

As am I. And I will still say, you seriously need to try the gelato there. :slight_smile:

As for the pasta… I like the pasta I’ve had there, but I find his tomato-based sauces to be a bit too acidic for my palate. And the oil component of the pesto is overwhelming (and I LOVE EVOO). Since we have such good pasta all around the city (esp in Santa Monica, which is close to where I live), I don’t feel a huge need to get pasta there. But the gelatos are truly something very special.

@PorkyBelly: thanks for taking one for the team. Yikes.

6 Likes

Noted and I will make time for gelato on my next visit. Funny, reading the previous BG thread (what happened to it? why is there a new thread?), my take-away from it was the pasta is the quiet superstar behind the flashy gelato. Probably my savory food bias showing there. I starred BG as a must go for my LA visit last month. I’m a little relieved that my underwhelmed response to lunch there is not off base. But I promise to keep an open mind with the gelato.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, you got the wrong takeaway, my friend. Bulgarini is first and foremost about the gelato/sorbet/granita. I think JGold said it could be the best in the US (?). I believe it. It is heads and shoulders above anything else that I have ever had.

Then, as a nice little add-on, they also serve a minimal dinner menu centered around pastas and focaccia. To put it kindly, service is not their strong suit–unless you are being served by Leo himself.

Go for the just the gelato. I don’t know where you live, but it is drive-worthy gelato from anywhere in SoCal.

3 Likes

Ummm…we were served by Leo…I won’t say much more.

Not within driving distance but when I visit, BG is within my mom’s sphere of influence. Easy to schedule a long walk for a gelato reward.

2 Likes

Amen!

1 Like

I was thinking the exact same thing.

1 Like

Surprised about the pizza dough @PorkyBelly. Bulgarini makes my favorite focaccia.:hearts: You’d think he’d figure out how to make a great pizza dough too. Hmmm…

1 Like