Butter on bagels?

I LOVE cream cheese w/ chives!!! Especially on an onion, garlic or everything bagel (and yeah—no new fangled bagels for me w/ blueberries, sunflower seeds, bananas, jalepenos, sun dried tomatoes, etc. EVER with our without cream cheese or butter)

2 Likes

Cream cheese is also tasty on a slice of good pumpernickel or rye, with pickles and hard-boiled egg slices.

2 Likes

Me, too.

1 Like

I can see that being pretty darn tasty. I LOVE butter on pumpernickel or rye—either bakery fresh or toasted.

2 Likes

No butter on bagels for me. I don’t have an aversion, necessarily. I think it starts as a cultural bias. It’s just not something I’ve seen done in Jewish households. From a taste perspective, I don’t think it works that well. It’s would be akin to butter on a soft pretzel or on pizza crust. The butter would taste good, the pretzel/dough would taste good, but the combo wouldn’t marry properly.

1 Like

For some reason, I am squicked out by cream cheese just spread unaltered.

I do make a great cheesecake that of course contains some cream cheese, but that is the absolute only use I would ever have for cream cheese.

Ummmm… really?

“squick v. - to disturb, unsettle, make uneasy; to cause disgust or revulsion; to gross (someone) out; to freak (someone) out. Also noun, something which causes disgust, revulsion, or uneasiness, or the disgust, revulsion, or uneasiness itself. Also squick (someone) out. Etymological Note: There is inconclusive evidence this term may have originated among practitioners of sexual bondage or sadomasochism. (source: Double-Tongued Dictionary)”<<

1 Like

[quote=“frommtron, post:45, topic:4741”]
I think it starts as a cultural bias.
[/quote]Sorta’ like Annie Hall ordering a corned beef sandwich on white bread with mayo?

2 Likes

Okay. Now I like the word.

2 Likes

What is your problem?

What’s wrong with the word? It describes a perfectly valid concept which is when something is really not to YOUR taste, but in which you acknowledge no moral judgement against that thing:

I love uni, but it squicks my girlfriend. She didn’t say “ew, it’s gross and YOU are gross for liking it.”

And it DID, in fact, originate online. Specifically, on a Usenet newsgroup alt.sex.bondage. The word itself is an onomatopoeia for the sound one imagines someone might make while… um… Well, I don’t really have to go on, do I?

examples of use:

Alice loves the feeling of hot wax, but Bob says it squicks him.

Raisins in cookies? No. those chewy bits squick me out.

It’s a perfectly cromulent word, and its usage embiggens all of us.

4 Likes

Not really a problem. I just found the word usage possibly a bit overkill for the targeted food item once I understood it. To be truthful I’d never heard the word until you wrote it here, so I looked it up. It apparently originated in an internet newsgroup called alt.tasteless (around 1994) and has an original context that is somewhat x-rated (depending on one’s perspective I guess) well beyond the quote I posted. Sorry if you took offense.

Gee, thanks for the history lesson. You’re way overthinking it. I will use the descriptors that I find relevant, thank you.

1 Like

I just choked on my coffee whilst reading these three lines. The examples are perfect. The final line is brilliant. I needed this. Thank you.

4 Likes

Oh, OK. If it came from The Simpsons it must be acceptable. Ooh, ooh. Futurama and Beavis & Butthead… even better.

Ah! A prescriptivist!

People should clearly not go around inventing words. It will lead to chaos! I will lead to unholy unions like korean tacos or thai chicken pizza or… Cinnamon cream chese spread on a blueberry bagel.

HERESY!!! We must smite the unbelievers!

Many years ago I got a copy of Edwin H. Newman’s book Strictky Speaking. I’ve watched things go down hill since. He passed away in 2019. Just in time it seems.

Any time language police get up in arms about the sorry state of speech, whether it’s slang or uptalk, or vocal fry, or the Mid-Atlantic accent, or RP or any of the other bajillion (ooo! That’s not a real number!) pearls being clutched at, it almost always comes down to WHO is speaking, rather than what they are saying, or the way they are saying it.

Language which communicates the intended idea of the sender accurately to the sender is successful and valid.

Food that tastes delicious tastes delicious to the eater has successfully made the eater happy, and that happiness is valid.

Now then, could someone toast me an cheddar jalepeno Noah’s bagel and spread it with uni and squid ink butter? And some ranch for dippin’.

… ugh. I just squicked myself. Literally.

2 Likes

Could you elaborate on that? Language used may help form an impression about the user, but I don’t know that there’s always a judgemental aspect… which is what I think you’re suggesting.

Now, I’m not an expert, I just read a bunch of shit like everyone else, so maybe I’m utterly wrong.
That said, allow me to speak from a voice of unproven authority…

Stephen Pinker (if you like slightly technical books about linguistics have a look at him) and others in the linguistic community seem to say that most ‘slang’ or ‘dialect’ is NOT, as is often assumed, some mishmash lazyfying of ‘correct’ speech. Take ABV (American Black Vernacular, aka Ebonics). People RAILED against it. “You’re talking like trash!” People railed against the railing against it. It “legitimizes” incorrect pronounciation, etc. etc. In fact, it does none of those things. ABV has specific rules and exceptions just as every other language, dialect, or regional difference. What’s decried in ‘lower class’ speech is tolerated in ‘upper class’ speech.

Rhotic or non rhotic r’s. Is it car? or ‘cah’? which one’s “correct?” does it matter if I say the person who said ‘cah’ was John Cleese? What if I say it was Mark Wahlberg?

I also read this not too long ago and it struck a true note to me:

There are such things as speech impediments, caused by nature or nurture. But ‘correct’ language is a fiction. Speech/accent/dialect is just a class marker. It’s all just a way of saying “Yeah, fuck that guy for liking a thing!”

And isn’t that just a waste of everyone’s time? Especially yours?

4 Likes