Camphor - Arts District

A friend and I are trying to speed-run some of the latest and greatest while I’m still in LA (especially those places neither of us have been to yet), and last week we hit up Camphor.

Amuse
:robot: :robot: :robot: :robot:
Very good bite, pretty classic flavors (potato & chives).

Bread - époisses butter, honey
:robot: :robot: :robot:
Bread was solid, though the LA restaurant bread game has gotten so strong lately that this faces some stiff competition. Butter was definitely on the funky side (from the cheese). Honey was good.

Gunpowder Shrimp
I expected it to be a bit crispier, to be totally honest. Great flavor profile, though. Also good with the bread! My dining companion thought somewhat more highly of the dish than I did; it’s probably a 3.5 from me and a 4.5 from him.

tartare - herb tempura
:robot: :robot: :robot: :robot: :robot:
Maybe the best beef tartare I’ve ever had. For once, the beef had some proper chew & bite to it, without being sinewy. Excellent saucing. Herb tempura seemed totally unnecessary, idk. Couldn’t actually taste any of the herbs very much - feels like the same problem I have with e.g. shiso tempura; all the flavor gets fried out of it.

carpaccio - toro, wagyu
:robot: :robot:
Mackerel was gone from the menu, replaced by this. Bit of a miss for me (though my dining companion liked it enough to trade me the rest of the tartare for it, so ymmv). Felt like the sauce completely drowned out any flavor from either the fish or the meat. I could tell both were pretty high-quality and would’ve been happy with much less dressing. There were some crunchy bits (I forget of what - something bread-like, probably?) which provided some clever textural contrast, which was good, but not enough to save the dish.

mussels - pressed panini(?)
I’m not even a mussels guy, but damn, these were good. Neglected to take a picture of the free bread (rolls) they provided to help with the sauce (they even offered seconds!), which were competitive with the paid bread offering on their menu in terms of overall quality. The pressed panini-bread things were tasty but not really the thing for the sauce (though stacking some mussels on them was an A+ play).

mushroom - rice, madeira
:robot: :robot: :robot:
Good dish, felt like it was drawing a bit more on the classical side of the French Bistro inspiration. Just didn’t stand out very much compared to some of the other highlights. I think some people will appreciate it quite a lot, though.

chicken
Dining companion didn’t like it quite as much as I did. Pretty interesting prep. Thyme was just right :ok_hand:

chocolate - hazelnut
I gotta say, I was not prepared for this by the previous reviews. WOW. I don’t even like hazelnut in my desserts, but this was incredible. Would go back for this alone.

kiwi - mint
I didn’t expect to like this one as much as I did, either (I wasn’t the one that ordered it). I’m not really big on kiwi, but the kiwi ice cream was fantastic, as were the chunks of kiwi that came along with it. The disk of ice was very clever. I thought it was (lightly) flavored with something like eucalyptus, but it was actually a combination of apple and mint.

bread pudding - hazelnut, vanilla ice cream
Possibly I’d have given this a 5-:robot: if I hadn’t been as stuffed as I was by the end (we might’ve overdone it a tiny bit). Very well-prepared, quite interesting to have several intact slices of bread as layers instead of being coarsely chopped up. Left & right ends were eggy, the bits of crust sticking out were crispy, the nutella (or whatever hazelnut creme) under the bread was good (and, as I said above, I don’t even much like hazelnut in desserts), and the ice cream was a thing of beauty - incredibly light & fluffy, it almost felt like ice cream and whipped cream had a torrid affair.

Mignardise
:robot: :robot:
Meh. Just ok.

Service was very good. Damage, after service charge & tax, was $165/head. Bit steep, but as mentioned above, we over-ordered by quite a bit - I think we could have easily left off the carpaccio, an entree (the mushrooms & rice, probably), and two desserts, and still been satisfied. That would’ve brought it to something like $100/head.

Overall, I enjoyed this meal a lot more than I enjoyed my meal at Republique a few days before it. Not everything was an absolute hit, but quite a bit was, and very little of it felt like “more of the same” - there’s definitely some boundary-pushing here. Hope it sticks around.

12 Likes

how was the honey served? on the side?

agree, those mussels are probably my favorite thing on the menu.

Yeah, didn’t snap a picture - think it was in a minature carafe, or something.

1 Like
1 Like

Peony: I find it a little bit difficult to review this restaurant. I like the idea of fusion French and Indian food. I also like the beautiful execution, plating, and quality of the food. But I personally don’t find the flavors up to my expectations. There are a couple of dishes that have the right feel of French and Indian fusion food. However, some other dishes taste like French food with a few Indian spices or Indian food diluted by some French ingredients. Either way, they don’t taste like a unity of both cuisines. I understand fusion of these two cuisines can be very challenging. I hope they can keep on improving and create more exciting, successful dishes.

Warrior: Execution and ingredients are excellent, the dishes are distinctive, yet I’m not a fan at all. I’m not convinced that most of the dish designs have merit. I did like some dishes tonight: the palak-paneer-influenced sautéed spinach (very good and easily best dish of the night), the roasted vegetables (very good), and the simple salad (good). But other dishes tasted like forced attempts to incorporate Indian ingredients into French cuisine or simply misguided ideas. I wasn’t impressed by the mussels dish that other posters raved about. While the mussels themselves were perfectly cooked, I found the moilee sauce clearly inferior to the more flavorful moilee sauces of average Indian restaurants. I preferred the similar, but much more flavorful mussel dish at Saffy’s. I found the mushroom and rice dish over-seasoned, almost grossly so. I wasn’t sold on the combination of curry leaf oil and trout almandine. The strawberry tart was boring. I could see this restaurant getting a Michelin star, but I am a firm dissenter, at least for now. I won’t completely write them off because the cooking talent is obviously there.

4 Likes

Probably headed to Camphor this weekend anyone have any recent reports?

Went to camphor most of the pictures have been posted already so I just posted pictures of items that I hadn’t seen recently (I also suck at taking them lol).

We had clams, gunpowder shrimp, beef tartare, seasonal roasted veggies in a truffle sauce, bay scallop pasta, chicken in spicy jus, and their new burger with fries. Kiwi and hazelnut soufflé dessert.

They got rid of the mussels because there’s a high quality mussel shortage apparently. I was :frowning:

Highlights were the burger, tartare, desserts,and scallop pasta.

Scallop pasta might be one of my favorite pasta dishes in LA truffle infused butter beure blanc with pillowy pasta stuffed with scallops. Burger was also insanely super decadent beef fat remoulade and carmelized onions. Tartare was flawless and the tempura herbs actually worked really well.

Desserts were outrageously good. Very unique, inspired, but also well composed. Might be the best high end desserts in LA dining.

The dislikes were the strong flavor of the gunpowder shrimp it was very sweet and very salty felt like it needed a counterpoint. Also sauce for the chicken, It was described as a butter chicken type jus but it just tasted like runny and watered down bbq sauce. Such a shame since the chicken prep is unique and the chicken itself was so tender.

Overall we had a very good meal waitstaff is highly professional. We liked it much better than bicyclette and slightly below republique. There is a 20% service surcharge. I will echo the sentiments of another poster and state that I don’t really get the Indian infused flavors. I know one of the chefs is Indian but his infusions don’t really resonate with me seems that in many dishes they are just adding an Indian flavor component but it doesn’t exactly make a ton of sense as a complete dish. Makes me appreciate republique even more since they seem to be able to marry the Asian/French flavors in a cohesive manner that doesn’t clash.

7 Likes

got last minute dinner here yesterday. agree, the baby shrimp was great–but after more than one bite, it does need a counter point, like rice? rice cracker? something i think.

loved the scallop demi lune and beef tartare. Both highlights. chicken was good, but still ultimately chicken.

5 Likes

Might have to drop in and check the mussel sitch.

fyi wasn’t on the menu last night

Per our server the mussels are off menu for the foreseeable future until the “high quality mussel shortage” is over. Apparently the consistency of quality mussels is down and less available and Camphor can’t get good ones consistently.

Hence the reason for my visit. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

got influenced by @hungryhungryhippos and @hppzz, the scallop pasta and mussels are my favorite things on the menu. would come back just to bang the scallops with some rolls to sop up all the sauce.

beef tartare, herb tempura

the batter on the herbs was a bit too thick and wasn’t served piping hot

barbajuan, snail, herbs

too small to really taste anything

gunpowder baby shrimp

scallop demi lune

pommes anna

duck and beef burger

marzipan, meyer lemon ice

9 Likes

Agreed.

What’s the sauce? How’s the dish?

That scallop dish my favorite!

1 Like

it was some kind of mint, tamarind, yogurt chutney. the potatoes were a bit too well done, I didn’t care for it.

And the burger? Worth it?

worth a try as a side for the scallops.

2 Likes

Anyone get a hat yet? Heading there on Thursday

2 Likes

I can’t think of a restaurant that is so polarizing for me. Like, the updated curry spinach dish is the best spinach I’ve ever eaten and maybe the best thing I’ve eaten all year. (It used to be a blander dish with chewy cheese—basically an inferior Frenchified saag paneer.). The aligot potatoes are amazing. And then there is stuff like the oysters with amaretto that doesn’t make sense to me. And I’m not into the shaved ice savory courses. But all in all, this is a great restaurant.

3 Likes