Can restaurants be made safe during the pandemic?

This is a really good article. I hope this kind of information gets a wider public audience.

I think that care homes should have HEPA filtration in the HVAC system, but if nothing else, placing a portable HEPA unit in each room would help. An experiment of some sort (using a safe particulate airborne tracer to enable measurements) in care homes would be of interest, to address your concern. I really can’t understand why this hasn’t even been tried.

I did read about a restaurant somewhere (can’t find the article again) where the owner did in fact place portable HEPA filters inside. How effective are they? Well, there were no measurements, but they have to help some. Also, I recall that Gov. Cuomo was considering requiring HEPA filters in shopping malls as a condition for re-opening. (Not sure if he followed up on that, it was a couple of months ago. I think.)

Portable filters would only reduce the concentration of virus particles. No informed and prudent person would consider that a reasonable alternative to a steady supply of fresh air sufficient to keep the concentration similar to that of outdoor air.

I wouldn’t be so sure - it will depend on many factors, e.g. trust in quality of clinical trial etc. and I really doubt that the “social transformation” will take place before distribution - it might even take time after many people already got their vaccine that people will go back to the “old” normal, including restaurant visits.

I really doubt that HEPA filter will make people confident that it is safe to eat in restaurants again (it wouldn’t make me confident) as there will always be a danger that somebody sneezes close by etc and you never know the possible consequences. Without a vaccine people won’t go back to restaurants indoor.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Random discussion of Covid-19 not specifically related to restaurants or food

One thing about this that I really don’t understand is why tables can’t have a covering or place settings, and/or condiments (exteriors sanitized, of course), in place before you’re seated. This rule vectors towards a very blah atmosphere when you come in, no matter how hard the owners try.

Do you want to exchange the condiments every time after each customer ? That would be pretty expensive and not sure if I want my condiments disinfected and not knowing what they are using regarding residues.

There’s no real reason. It’s hygiene theater.

From an email from Angler SF announcing their reopening:

Our Commitment To You

• Each employee will be pre-screened for good health prior to their shift
  • Each employee will be wearing a face covering and gloves
  • We will do our best to maintain distance when serving your table and ask that you do the same when moving through the restaurant. Tables will be spaced at least 6 feet apart
  • Employees will wash and sanitize their hands frequently
  • High traffic areas, all surfaces, and public restrooms will be sanitized regularly
  • Our air will be continuously filtered using the AirBox filtration system, which filters up to 3000 square feet of air from bacteria, mold, pollen, and viruses (including COVID-19)

Your Commitment To Us

• By entering the establishment you are vouching that everyone in your party is in good health, not experiencing any flu like symptoms, and/or have come into contact with anyone that has COVID-19
  • By making a reservation, you are agreeing to have your temperature prior to being sat/allowed into the building you use our restroom
  • Face masks will be required when moving through the restaurant, when not eating & drinking, and when interacting with our staff
  • Hand washing capabilities and sanitizer will be provided for all guests. We ask that you wash your hands and sanitize them regularly

Bingo.

I’d want to see an airflow diagram and replacement calculations before eating there. Not that I would anyway.

Office of the Governor of California
@CAgovernor

·

Oct 3
Going out to eat with members of your household this weekend? **
Don’t forget to keep your mask on in between bites.**

I love keeping my mask on in between bites!
New heights of absurdity!

LOL…remember, we ARE in California.

1 Like

Putting your mask on between bites would dramatically increase the number of times you take it off.

Though if it’s that big a risk, I’ll skip it, thanks.

I think a fair interpretation of the flyer is to keep it on while perusing the menu, take it off to eat, put it back on while waiting for the table to be cleared and to pay the bill, and maybe between courses–all quite feasible in my opinion–not “bite, mask on, mask off, bite” as you implied.

2 Likes

I agree with your assessment of the flyer’s intent, but I also think that the idea of putting on, taking off, putting on, taking off,…, etc., ad nauseum (not with each bite but at different times while present) to be a bit much and a turn-off. I wouldn’t go back to a place with that requirement; it destroys what little is left of the sit-down experience. I’m ok with mask on when entering and leaving the place and when heading to and from the head (i.e., when walking past others) but beyond that it kind of stretches things a bit too much for me.

Do you think one will contract the virus while perusing the menu (mostly on your own phone these days) or between the courses? To me this is a typical example of the needless idiotic government meddling.

Honestly, I have not yet felt comfortable sitting down inside or out. When I see people actually abiding by the existing rules, and the outside seating is nearly empty, I might consider it. However, I live one block off of 30th, near the restaurant hub and see the groups congregating outside the eateries, no masks, semi-intoxicated, loudly socializing with their friends (no, I do not believe I am witnessing a commune eating out together). Unless there is better buy in by customers, one of the great joys of my life, eating out, is dead for the time being. Yes, and I’m resentful. When I see those folks flaunting rules about masks and social-distancing, endangering the very businesses they supposedly love and extending this misery, I send them dirty looks and an occasion snarky comment.

2 Likes

There is no need to flaunt any rules in order to go out. Wear mask, enter the restaurant, sit down, order food, take off your mask, enjoy your meal, pay your bill, put on the mask, exit the restaurant.

It’s less about if you can get it during that time but servers will be in the restaurant the whole time and so to protect them more it is best to have the mask up as much as possible - mask are in general less for your protection but to protect other if you are (unknowingly) infected/spreading the virus

5 Likes