Can restaurants be made safe during the pandemic?

Bingo.

I’d want to see an airflow diagram and replacement calculations before eating there. Not that I would anyway.

Office of the Governor of California
@CAgovernor

·

Oct 3
Going out to eat with members of your household this weekend? **
Don’t forget to keep your mask on in between bites.**

I love keeping my mask on in between bites!
New heights of absurdity!

LOL…remember, we ARE in California.

1 Like

Putting your mask on between bites would dramatically increase the number of times you take it off.

Though if it’s that big a risk, I’ll skip it, thanks.

I think a fair interpretation of the flyer is to keep it on while perusing the menu, take it off to eat, put it back on while waiting for the table to be cleared and to pay the bill, and maybe between courses–all quite feasible in my opinion–not “bite, mask on, mask off, bite” as you implied.

2 Likes

I agree with your assessment of the flyer’s intent, but I also think that the idea of putting on, taking off, putting on, taking off,…, etc., ad nauseum (not with each bite but at different times while present) to be a bit much and a turn-off. I wouldn’t go back to a place with that requirement; it destroys what little is left of the sit-down experience. I’m ok with mask on when entering and leaving the place and when heading to and from the head (i.e., when walking past others) but beyond that it kind of stretches things a bit too much for me.

Do you think one will contract the virus while perusing the menu (mostly on your own phone these days) or between the courses? To me this is a typical example of the needless idiotic government meddling.

Honestly, I have not yet felt comfortable sitting down inside or out. When I see people actually abiding by the existing rules, and the outside seating is nearly empty, I might consider it. However, I live one block off of 30th, near the restaurant hub and see the groups congregating outside the eateries, no masks, semi-intoxicated, loudly socializing with their friends (no, I do not believe I am witnessing a commune eating out together). Unless there is better buy in by customers, one of the great joys of my life, eating out, is dead for the time being. Yes, and I’m resentful. When I see those folks flaunting rules about masks and social-distancing, endangering the very businesses they supposedly love and extending this misery, I send them dirty looks and an occasion snarky comment.

2 Likes

There is no need to flaunt any rules in order to go out. Wear mask, enter the restaurant, sit down, order food, take off your mask, enjoy your meal, pay your bill, put on the mask, exit the restaurant.

It’s less about if you can get it during that time but servers will be in the restaurant the whole time and so to protect them more it is best to have the mask up as much as possible - mask are in general less for your protection but to protect other if you are (unknowingly) infected/spreading the virus

5 Likes

That was written by some incompetent nitwit on Newsom’s staff who who understood neither the text nor the graphic.

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/Newsom-s-office-says-to-keep-masks-on-eating-15635093.php

Most of the time I see servers are wearing masks and face shields. Many restaurants check guest’s temperature. I do not see how these servers are not going to contract COVID while I am looking at the menu.

Servers are endangered much the same way grocery store checkers are: they interact with customers for a whole shift, and they interact with other employees. The biggest risk factor in most restaurants is probably the kitchen staff, who may be unable to keep their distance from each other all the time and commonly live in overcrowded housing where they are likely to be infected by other members of the household.

Checking temperature reduces risk slightly, but a high percentage of infectious individuals have no symptoms. Face shields are no protection against aerosols, they don’t make sense for anyone except medical personnel who may have patients sneeze in their faces and so on.

In a restaurant setting, this only makes things look safer to customers.

Temperature checks are relatively useless as many people are infected but don’t have any fever. And the biggest impact of mask is on (unaware) carriers (you) not healthy people (server)

1 Like

True, but if you do have a fever, there’s something amiss with your health and you probably shouldn’t be around others. Having said that, I think temperature checks at restaurants are unnecessary over-kill.

Good graphic, BTW.

1 Like

To be honest who in today’s world and time has fever and still goes to any public place beside a doctor is an idiot

1 Like

1 Like

Just a comment on slice #3. Masks.

It’s unbelievable to me that so many people seem to think that wearing a mask will protect them from airborne covid or from that exhaled directly, or coughed/sneezed, by others. Well, masks do so, to a degree, but the main thing is that masks greatly help to protect other people from you, in the event that you’re infectious. I know you understand that, Elsie, but the predominantly unidirectional mode of protection afforded by masks is so often misunderstood and misrepresented by people who should know better. I don’t like having to deal with mask-wearing, but I think that we’re not going to have to live with masks forever. For now, though, it just seems like the rational and moral thing to do, within all reasonable limits.

Still, people should keep in mind that, even in terms of protecting others from “you”, masks are not 100% effective. Some amount of airborne mist will still escape from the masks of infected people, and some amount of airborne mist will find its way through gaps around your mask.

The saving thing? You;d have to get a big enough dose of covid virus to get sick. You’d have to be exposed to a sufficiently-contaminated atmosphere for a sufficiently long time to inhale an infectious load.

I write this because there is very recent national news about lots of people wearing masks catching the covid nonetheless. Of course you can get the covid if those around you are shedding it, particularly if they’re not wearing masks, whether or not you yourself are wearing one.

2 Likes