Cheesy, Savory, Delicious! Meat Lovers, Vegetarian and Vegan! A Pizza Journey - Superfine, Il Romanista, DeSano, Pizza Wagon of Brooklyn, Pizzeria Mozza, South End, L’Antica Pizzeria da Michele, Prime, Lupetti, Triple Beam and More! [Thoughts + Pics]

Jesus, great news, Gr8pimpin…a damn perfect pie…music to my ears!

1 Like

Sidepie in Altadena last weekend, in their new space at the top of Altadena, which is just a pickup window across Lake from Bulgarini for now, but from their IG it looks like they’re getting some sort of patio set up.

Tomato sauce was really outstanding, super bright the way I prefer it. Crust was charred up nicely, but still thin and mild and a little droopy, I’d call it more classic Neapolitan than some of the puffy sourdough that we get around here. Toppings are good quality, and we liked the extra char - the crust was definitely not burned, even though there were some serious leopard spots. The Altadena was the winner by general consensus, but the Marg was good too.

The Altadena (pep, basil, ricotta, garlic)

Marg up close

10 Likes

Hail Mary Pizza

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSUzBoSBsqf/?utm_medium=copy_link

2 Likes

Went to gra a couple weeks back. Very good but not in my upper echelon of pizza places. However, the salad, pizza, and natural wine menu along with the beautiful patio is great for a casual evening dinner. Highlight pizza was the banger, mushroom close second. Clam pizza was quite sad very few clams and drowned out by a cream sauce. One gripe was the whites were covered in kind of a creamy base that I felt detracted from the toppings. Salads were both refreshing.

14 Likes

Little coyote lbc. Great pizza on a more traditional crust with good chew kind of like a prime Pizza but I prefer this pie over prime, it was a lighter crust with better chew . The spinach pizza was the highlight.

The Italian sando was solid but was not better than my favs such as bay cities or uncle Paulies.

6 Likes

Lunch @ Jon & Vinny’s since I had a case of wine to pick up and they could seat me immediately (around 4:00). Excellent NY-ish mushroom. Beet salad was also excellent. Half the pizza leftover.

4 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTxVB7EvFOq/?utm_medium=copy_link

Back with a whole pies. I hope they start slices again soon.

7 Likes

I hope the quality improves, too.

3 Likes

Rumor is that Chef Samson is back to making the pies himself…

3 Likes

That’s big news. If anybody is able to post a report that would be appreciated. When Superfine was humming it was as good as any pizza in the city. Right up there with Pizza Wagon and Little Coyote.

1 Like

I’ll try and go within the week, for research purposes.

1 Like

Thanks for your sacrifice. There are only 6 pies available - 2 being a plain cheese and pepperoni so hopefully paring down the menu will help with consistency.

Samson is making pies at Superfine?

Latest intel there is that he’s currently looking to hire or train someone. But until then, he’s the guy. (This was as of last month, so of course take this with a grain of salt.)

1 Like

very interesting!

Ooh. I might need to do a Superfine pie tonight…

Does anyone else get pizza cravings? I don’t get cravings for other food. Only pizza. The cravings come about once a month.

3 Likes

All the time. I think we might bang as many places In DTLA tomorrow after Universal as my family will allow.
Superfine
Holbox
Tire Shop
That’s what I’m hoping for

5 Likes

Excellent choices. Maybe a little bit outta the way, but i know you are a beer lover. Sunset Beer is a great bottle shop in Echo Park. They have lots of craft brews from across the US available by the bottle.

5 Likes

Thanks they have a very nice selection. I don’t think I’ll have time but was thinking if I bring my kids iPads we could stop at Highland Park Brewery or the new Homage in Chinatown.

3 Likes

Excellent. Maybe go on a night when the Dodgers aren’t playing, as Chef Steve is a bigtime Doyers fan.

1 Like