Cheesy, Savory, Delicious! Meat Lovers, Vegetarian and Vegan! A Pizza Journey - Superfine, Il Romanista, DeSano, Pizza Wagon of Brooklyn, Pizzeria Mozza, South End, L’Antica Pizzeria da Michele, Prime, Lupetti, Triple Beam and More! [Thoughts + Pics]

Hi @lapizzamaven,

Thanks for the reminder. South End has been closed during the pandemic right?

Although looking at their IG, it looks like they are going to re-opening tomorrow, May 5?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_oNCLWjLex/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

1 Like

Hey Chowseeker, indeed, Mario told me they plan to reopen I think for take out & delivery soon

1 Like

LOL spelled Samson.

1 Like

They were open for takeout for a few weeks (and we ordered about once a week) and then closed in April. Very happy to see that they’re back.

1 Like

Thanks @J_L!

Triple Beam: “Look out soon, no not today, but soon for Asparagus, Bacon & Ricotta pizza”

Looks like a piece of matzo next to the pizza.

Update (To-Go, Part 2):

Il Romanista (To-Go) (Revisit)

After a month+ of closing during this pandemic, Pizzaiolo-Owner Luigi Roditis has decided to reopen Il Romanista! (@aaqjr @JeetKuneBao @js76wisco @ attran99 @ Bigmouth @hungryhungryhippos @A5KOBE @J_L and others!)

Pizzaiolo Luigi is selling his Roman-style Pizzas by Half Sheet or Full Sheet only (no individual slices) during this time, but he’ll let you choose 2 different flavors per Half Sheet! :slight_smile:

Palatino Pizza (Mozzarella, Mushrooms, Provolone, Porcini Mushrooms, Parsley):

Taking a bite…

Piping hot, crispy, crunchy crust, not overly thick, beautiful earthy aromas from the Porcini Mushrooms and what looks like Eryngi Mushrooms today, melted Mozzarella and Provolone Cheese, a dash of brightness from the Parsley! Delicious! :heart: (@hanhgry @Gr8pimpin and others!)

(NEW) Burrata & Zucchini Pizza (Mozzarella, Roasted Zucchini, Burrata, Balsamic Glaze of Modena, Basil):

Luigi has added a new flavor for Takeout and Delivery during this reopening: Burrata & Zucchini! While it may sound a bit basic, the first bite quells any doubts:

Fresh creamy, luscious Burrata Cheese, Roasted Zucchini, bright, vibrant Fresh Basil, melted Mozzarella, and just a subtle mouth-watering umami from the Balsamic Glaze from Modena, and that gorgeous, crispy-crunchy crust in this Roman-style Pizza! Do not miss this! :heart: :blush: :heart: (@Gr8pimpin @lapizzamaven @hanhgry @PorkyBelly and others)

Amatriciana Pizza (Tomato Sauce, Pancetta (Cured Italian Bacon), Cherry Tomatoes, Red Pepper, Pecorino Romano):

Incredibly porky and fragrant! The Pancetta porcine punch is real. :heart: Thick cut Pancetta (we would’ve preferred it a little more thinly sliced), crisped from the roasting, great Red Sauce, and a nice funk from the Pecorino Romano with the Red Peppers and Cherry Tomatoes evening things out. Lovely. :heart:

Boscaiola Pizza (Tomato Sauce, Mushrooms, Sausage, Mozzarella, Parmigiano Reggiano):

The Boscaiola is a Red Sauce take on his wonderful Crostino Americano (White Pizza), but it is absolutely delicious! :heart:

The Italian Sausage is meaty, savory, not overly salty. Add in Roasted Mushrooms, his balanced Tomato Sauce, melty Mozzarella, Parmigiano Reggiano and that amazing crispy-crunchy crust yet again, and you have fantastic Pizza! :heart: :blush: :heart:

While it’s great to see one of L.A.'s brightest Pizza makers re-open, Il Romanista is not out of the woods yet: When we asked Chef-Owner Luigi about other amazing flavors he had featured, it was another heartbreaking exchange:

He said he’d love to feature more Pizza flavors that were popular and rotate them in for next weekend and after that, but he said “if we come back next weekend… we don’t know how business is going to be.” :frowning: He looked sullen and his voice sounded so unsure / sad. :sob:

For all us FTC’ers out there, as we’ve heard from other restaurant owners recently:

• If you have the means to, support your favorite restaurants if you can. Order from them now, and don’t wait until it’s too late. :frowning:

For those that have never been to Il Romanista, you are in for a treat: Some of the most amazing Roman-style Pizza in L.A., and some of L.A.'s best Pizza period. They are much less thick compared to Antico’s Focaccia Pizzas, and one bite of Il Romanista’s outstanding flavors like their Palatino (Mozzarella, Mushrooms, Provolone, Porcini Mushrooms, Parsley) and new Burrata & Zucchini Pizza, or the stunning Amatriciana Pizza (Tomato Sauce, Pancetta (Cured Italian Bacon), Cherry Tomatoes, Red Pepper, Pecorino Romano) or the Boscaiola Pizza (Tomato Sauce, Mushrooms, Sausage, Mozzarella, Parmigiano Reggiano) and you’ll understand why there are devoted fans.

We’re really hoping customers know they are re-opened and come out and support them! (And with the light / non-existent traffic right now it’s even easier.)

Pandemic Hours: (Takeout or Delivery)
Friday & Saturday, 5:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.

Il Romanista
829 North Douglas St.
El Segundo, CA 90245
Tel: (310) 616-3111

https://www.pizzailromanista.com/takeout-delivery

13 Likes

Thanks for spreading the word @Chowseeker1999 I hope they survive some of my favorite pizza in LA.

Will be supporting them as soon as I have the chance.

1 Like

Hi @hungryhungryhippos,

Thank you for the great recommendation and reports as well. :slight_smile: Yes, I really hope Il Romanista survives. They relied on the nearby office buildings normally, but since no one is working in the offices, it was super empty / easy parking. Hopefully word gets out!

1 Like

Glad you made it out there.

I’m dying from these photos. The pizzas all look amazing.

I really want to try the Cecina with the garbanzo purée, Yukon golds, porcini, arugula. Yes, a vegan pie. YUM!

And the Che Potata with the Yukon golds, prosciutto cotto, and mozz.

Luigi is really a master with these topping combinations. An artisan. He deserves better than to struggle. That is a tough location, a deserted office park.

:crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Checked out the Superfine hype. It reminds me of a godly Costco pepperoni pizza. That dough is amazing.

5 Likes

Hi @Gr8pimpin,

Hope you get a chance to visit soon. Yes, the Cecina sounds interesting, and the Che Potata! :slight_smile:

Hi @Ns1,

Glad you finally made it out to Superfine! :slight_smile: Did you get a whole pie, or just a slice?

Hopefully you get to try a few more flavors next time (Queen Margherita (add Sausage), or the Spinach & 4 Cheese).

I’m drooling. Everything looks incredible.

1 Like

Il Romanista is delicious. Have you been before @tailbacku? :slight_smile:

Yes I have. I reported back here some time ago. I used to work a few days a week just minutes from them but didn’t go often because I try to minimize my carb intake. I’m just drooling over your pics :grinning:

1 Like

Well, Luigi just said he’s opening Il Romanista again this weekend.

:heart::yellow_heart::heart:thanks for all the love and support you guys showed me this past weekend!!! Your many orders made me work my butt off. I did my very best to make sure every pizza came out delicious! Can’t wait to continue serving this weekend :muscle::smiley::call_me_hand:

5 Likes

Hi @Gr8pimpin,

Yay! :blush: So glad Il Romanista survived their first weekend back and it sounds like they did well!

Hopefully you get to try some more Il Romanista pizza soon. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The only thing I miss about working in El Segundo is going to Il Romanista for lunch. When I first started I was literally going twice a week. Hope those guys make it. Truly nice guys.

4 Likes

my nephew who drives for postmates is going to do a personal deliver for me today. Should I have him get II Romanista or Pizza Wagon? I’ve never tried either one.

1 Like