Cheesy, Savory, Delicious! Meat Lovers, Vegetarian and Vegan! A Pizza Journey - Superfine, Il Romanista, DeSano, Pizza Wagon of Brooklyn, Pizzeria Mozza, South End, L’Antica Pizzeria da Michele, Prime, Lupetti, Triple Beam and More! [Thoughts + Pics]

It tasted great, just a little sad in the texture at the center. I baked it in the oven longer at 450F in the bottom rack for about 10 minutes and it crisped up nicely, minor adjustment. I will still continue getting pizza from them, and the salad ain’t too shabby either.

My recent experience was similar @A5KOBE. But I think my soupy center was due to the dough being stretched too thin in the middle vs too much cheese + toppings.

This is my reheated slice for lunch today from a pie I picked up on Sunday. Folded much better.

1 Like

PIzza Wagon in Sherman Oaks

No pie-palooza, just slices…

PESTO SLICE

Had to start with pesto slice. So good. Not overwhelming with the garlic. The creamy ricotta makes it.

Perfect crust today, as usual…

Pesto with Sausage

This is for @tailbacku — his suggestion. It was indeed quite delectable.

PEPPERONI

Grease chalices… hypnotic, aren’t they?? I forgot to get a photo of the whole slice.

Back of the cornicione.

The cups are perfect Parmesan vessels. Unfortunately I didn’t have any good cheese so I had to use some Trader Joe’s crap my sister left over at my place.

Never noticed these menu boards. Been getting delivery a lot lately.

11 Likes

Hi @Gr8pimpin,

Looks fantastic today and not too much sauce. :blush: Love their Pesto!

1 Like

Btw any news on il romanista? Still on extended hiatus?

Luigi hasn’t posted any updates, sadly.

Just responded to my PM: “no updates at the moment, sorry“

5 Likes

Could be sad because unemployment pays more . Just a thought from the employees being paid minimum wage . I’ve seen it happen to the restaurants where I live .

1 Like

Hi guys. This is Luigi, the owner of il Romanista. On one of my last days open, a customer of mine suggested I check out this website as you guys have had some extensive talks about my restaurant, and pizza in LA in general. I decided today to check it out, and reading the kind words has been very nice. I’ve also added some pizza spots to my list of places to try based on discussions in this thread :smiley:

Unfortunately, as a poster above just mentioned, I have no updates on reopening. It’s not looking good honestly, as the landlord has been less than helpful or compassionate, showing no will to work something out with me to allow me to stay open. It is especially tough because I relied almost exclusively on office lunch and catering, and with that gone, survival in the long run would be difficult even with an understanding and compassionate landlord. This has nothing to do with labor.

I hope to be making pizzas again soon. It may not be where the current store is located, or under the same name, but I think there will be a return to pizza making at some point in the future.

Luigi

39 Likes

Best of luck.
I am glad that you found us - whenever (or wherever) you go we will surely come.

5 Likes

Hi @ilromanista / Luigi,

Thank you for the update and glad that you found our board. That is really sad to hear about your situation with the landlord. :frowning:

I hope you’re able to work out a more favorable situation and we’re looking forward to enjoying your amazing pizzas again wherever you go.

1 Like

Thank you for reaching out to us. We love Il Romanista here on Food Talk Central! Wherever you go I am sure my friends here will support you. Thank you for bringing wonderful Roman style pizza.

You probably don’t remember me but we talked about a fellow Roman, Leo Bulgarini at Bulgarini Gelato. Did you ever get to make it out there?

4 Likes

That would be me, Luigi.

I also was the one who contacted you.

Welcome to FTC, @ilromanista !!

I’m so sorry about your situation.

Your pizza is amazing. I too share @JeetKuneBao ‘s and @CiaoBob ‘s sentiments and that we will travel to wherever you end up.

5 Likes

Update 6:

We wanted to give one of our favorite Pizzerias stuck in Downhill Alert mode another try, hoping they resolved their issues and in the process ended up on another Pizza Journey. :sweat:

Superfine Pizza (Revisit)

Superfine Pizza quickly rose to be arguably the best Pepperoni Pizza in L.A. and was one of our favorites overall. But the last 2 visits yielded disastrous results as their OG Pizzaiolos left. We left feedback via their website about that, desperately hoping that today’s visit would be an improvement.

It wasn’t. :frowning:

(Half) Queen Margherita with Sausage + (Half) Pepperoni Pizza:

First, look closely at the above pics: The Pepperoni Cups are sitting in an ocean of liquid! :open_mouth: :sob:

There’s so much Oil, Sauce and more Oil that it’s completely off-putting.

Additional pics in the sun to better view the problem:

In trying to pick up a slice, we were met with complete disaster, captured for FTC:

Superfine_flab2

Today was yet another newbie staff member making Pizzas (they mentioned they just started there recently). The Pizza was flabby, completely saturated with Oil, Sauce and the dough was stretched too thin. :cry:

The entire middle of the Pizza was mush, and as you can see above in the GIF and pics, it was almost like Raw Dough, it was so soggy.

This is nothing like what Superfine Pizza used to be (when it was glorious and amazing).

The Pepperoni Cups still taste of quality. The Red Sauce is still a good balanced Red Sauce, but seeing the downright pathetic results above, right now:

• It’s like handing the keys to a high performance sports car to a child. Not a licensed driver, but a child.

The current new replacement staff at Superfine have zero concept of how to make a decent Pizza, let alone the greatness that Superfine used to be. :rage: :sob:

This is 3 Downhill Alert visits in a row (and over 20 visits overall). Avoid at all costs. (@Gr8pimpin @lapizzamaven @A5KOBE @js76wisco @JeetKuneBao and others.)

Superfine Pizza
1101 San Pedro St., Unit F
Los Angeles, CA 90015

Hail Mary Pizza

We were so disappointed (and saddened) by Superfine’s complete failure that we decided to try and salvage the lunch with a visit we had bookmarked for awhile and that was somewhat in the area.

Hail Mary Pizza is a re-imagined concept in the former Journeyman space (from a former Chef of Gjelina). They use Sourdough and Whole Wheat Flour base for their Pies.

Mario & Rose(mary) Pizza (Fennel Sausage, Smoked Mozzarella, Red Onion):

While half the Pizza crust was a bit too burnt for my tastes, picking up a slice resulted in a steady, firm crust, and a crunchy bite. :slight_smile: Already leagues better than the gloppy, soggy mess that is Superfine Pizza currently.

The Fennel Sausage, a bit of Rosemary was a nice combination, but strangely the Smoked Mozzarella felt non-existent (you could see it was there), but it tasted like we were eating a Cheese-less Pizza with so much Red Sauce. :frowning: It wasn’t bad, but the flavor combination was a bit off (too much of their Red Sauce which was a bit too acidic), burnt cornichon.

Hail Mary Pizza
3219 Glendale Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90039
Tel: (323) 284-8879

Pizzeria Mozza (at Mozza2Go)

With unsatisfactory Pizzas at 2 different places, perhaps one of L.A.'s standout Pizzerias could right the sinking ship? We hadn’t had Pizzeria Mozza since before the pandemic hit, and it sounded like a great way to enjoy some Pizza goodness right now.

Pizzeria Mozza is currently selling their Pizzas via Mozza2Go website (combined with menu items from Chi Spacca).

Salame Pizza (Mozzarella, Fresno Chiles, Tomato):

This was a sad-looking Pie. :cry: It might be hard to tell from the pics, but this was definitely smaller than their regular Pizzas dining in at Pizzeria Mozza. It felt like they shrunk the diameter to make it fit in their small carryout Pizza boxes, maybe a ~9" Pie? :frowning:

And their prices increased so most Pizzas are now $20 - $23 (+ tax & tip) range.

Besides giving you less Pizza and increasing the price, the taste was off: The signature crunchy-crisp Pizza crust that Pizzeria Mozza was known for is barely there. The cornichon (exterior) is sad and deflated / smashed down. The color is off as well.

With the texture lacking, the Salame and Mozzarella combination was fine, there was a decent porcine flavor coming through but the execution overall was just a mediocre Pie. :sob: (@lapizzamaven @Gr8pimpin @PorkyBelly and others.)

Fennel Sausage Pizza (Panna, Red Onion, Scallions):

My favorite Pizza at Mozza and one of their most popular flavors, this one looked a bit better, but it was still the same squashed size, smaller than dining in, and the crust was still barely crunchy, sort of stodgy and the Pizza was just poorly made (see pics / proportions / ingredients spread). :frowning:

With the increased prices, worse QPR, average execution and bad texture and smaller Pies, Pizzeria Mozza To Go is a disappointment and something we can’t see ourselves returning for until this gets corrected.

Pizzeria Mozza (Mozza2Go)
641 N. Highland Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90036
Tel: (323) 297-0101

https://mozza2go.com/

Antico (Revisit)

While not really a traditional Pizza (more like Focaccia Bread with Toppings), we enjoyed the Supreme we got during our last visit.

Veggie (Arugula Pesto, Broccolini, Roasted Bell Pepper, Sungold Tomato, Kalamata Olive, Fresh Mozzarella, Parmesan):

During our arrival, we were the only customers waiting around for food. It seemed they still reheated / finished off their Focaccia Pizzas when you arrive, as the outer edge of the Focaccia Bread was crunchy and hot (a nice touch).

However, as you can see in the pics (above), the Mozzarella ended up congealing / clumping together with the ingredients. We ate a slice immediately in the car before driving back, so within ~1 minute of picking up the food, taking a bite…

The Mozzarella ended up dragging all the ingredients off the slice I bit into. :frowning: The underneath revealed soggy Focaccia (too much Pesto? Too much liquid from the Vegetables?) and this was a far cry from their delicious Supreme Pizza we had last time. :frowning:

Horchata Crunch Ice Cream:

I love Horchata in general so I was really looking forward to this. :slight_smile: This was pretty tasty, Cinnamon, on the sweet side, there was some crunch but our Puffed Rice bits were more “stale / firm puff” than crunchy (like a Rice Krispies Treat).

Antico Restaurant
4653 Beverly Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90004
Tel: (323) 510-3093

https://www.antico-la.com/

We had just about given up on getting great Pizza, but remembered a couple other places to visit during the pandemic…

South End (Revisit)

From Pizzaiolo-Owner Mario Vollera (a master of traditional Neapolitan Pizzas), we hadn’t been back to South End since before the pandemic. We saw Pizzaiolo Mario greeting each customer and found out he still teaches at the Naples-based Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana (VPN) America office in L.A. (neat), but South End is not traditional Neapolitan. :wink:

He shared with us that the zoning in this part of the Westside prevented him from opening a restaurant with a wood-burning oven, so he made this Sourdough-style Pizza currently at South End.

Vanguard Pizza (Mushrooms, Fontina, Fresno Chilies, Pecorino, Fine Herbs):

On the first visit last year, I found the crust to be slightly underseasoned, but on this this visit, it was just right! :slight_smile: First, you get a wonderful crisp-crunch from the Sourdough Crust! :blush: This is very much in the OG Pizzeria Mozza vein, with a good structure, nice crunch and given how bad Pizzeria Mozza is now To-Go, South End has essentially taken over as the best version of the “Pizzeria Mozza Style” Pizza.

The Mushrooms, Fontina, Pecorino with a touch of gentle heat from the Fresno Chilies and Fine Herbs combined to make a mouth-watering, crave-worthy Pie bursting with great flavor! :heart:

Venus Pizza (Crushed Tomatoes, Pepperoni, Mozzarella, Fresno Chilies, Red Onions):

Delicious. While it may not have the Pepperoni Cups / “grease chalices” that many adore on FTC, this was a quality Pepperoni (imported from Italy), with a good Tomato Sauce base. Add to that the crunchy-crisp crust and this was another winner. :blush:

Unlike many of the Pizzerias during COVID-19, South End seems to be making some excellent Pies that are even better than our visit pre-pandemic. We’re looking forward to trying out more flavors in the coming months.

South End
2805 Abbot Kinney Blvd.
Venice, CA 90291
Tel: (424) 228-4736

http://www.southendla.com/

Gra

The simply named “Gra” is a newcomer to the L.A. Pizza scene, and is situated next door to Clark Street Bread in Echo Park. They specialize in Organic Sourdough Pizzas.

Clam Pizza (East Coast Little Neck Clams, Cooked in White Wine Broth with Cream, Bonito Flake & Dashi, Topped with Smoked Potatoes, Parsley & Parmesan):

We love a great Clam Pizza, so this was a must order. First, the Organic Sourdough crust is outstanding! :heart: There’s a delicate tang, the crust has a light crispness on the exterior with a generally soft base, but it’s not a soggy center like a traditional Neapolitan.

The Clam Pizza is tasty, with good quality meaty bites of Clams, but the Smoked Potatoes don’t work well here. It’s not “bad,” but the earthy, almost “Mashed Potato” texture on the Pie, along with the Clams end up contrasting with each other too much. I’d rather have the Clam Pizza without the Potatoes and it’d be fantastic, but even as is, it was enjoyable.

For Clam Pizzas in L.A., La Morra Pizzeria’s Clam Pie was the best we ever had, but sadly it is no longer making fresh Pizzas right now. (@lapizzamaven)

Pepperoni Pizza (Tomato Sauce, Mozzarella, Pepperoni):

First, the light toasty, barely crisp exterior, the tang of the Sourdough crust, light, airy, and then you get excellent Pepperoni Cups that are not overly salty, but meaty, porky, and a good, balanced Red Sauce.

SO GOOD! :heart: :blush: :heart:

This is a must order for all our FTC Pepperoni Lovers! :heart: (@PorkyBelly @Ns1 @Gr8pimpin @lapizzamaven @js76wisco and others.)

And so, another Pizza Journey ends. One sobering discovery that just hit me is how quietly, without much notice…

L.A.'s Pizza scene has taken a massive hit during COVID-19:

• Il Romanista - Closed. They may not return. :frowning:
  • Superfine - Disaster / Downhill Alert. They lost their OG Pizzaiolos and the current Pies are horrendous.
  • La Morra Pizzeria - Doing Frozen Pizzas. :frowning:
  • Pizzeria Mozza - Nothing like their pre-pandemic days / at their height.

Stop and think about that for a second: It’s pretty significant that some of L.A.'s Top Pizzerias are either closed, or a shadow of their former selves right now. :sob: (@Gr8pimpin @lapizzamaven @A5KOBE @PorkyBelly @hungryhungryhippos and others.)

If there’s a light at the end of the tunnel, it’s hoping that Il Romanista might re-open again (or find a new place that’s not dependent on local office buildings). That La Morra Pizzeria (with its stunning Sourdough Neo-Neapolitan Pizzas) might survive long enough making Frozen Pre-Packaged Pizzas that it could re-open.

That Superfine might take the time to hire people who can recreate the stunning New York-style Pizzas they had before they lost their staff. And that Pizzeria Mozza and Nancy Silverton might fix the mediocrity of their To-Go Pies right now.

Beyond that, there are still some places doing good things like South End, Little Wolf, and we’ll be glad to explore more of newcomer Gra!

Grá
1524 Pizarro St.
Los Angeles, CA 90026

https://grá.com/

17 Likes

I think this paragraph explaines it. Because of Covid (closings, to takeout only, to total re-opening, then patio only) keeping originally trained staff was very hard. A lot have scattered to the wind and restaurants are struggling to find replacements. Sometimes they’re having to settle for warm bodies just to stay open.

2 Likes

I don’t quite get clams + potatoes, either (I guess they were going for a clam chowder), but the pizzas both look delicious! Will have to try to hit up Gra…

2 Likes

I’ve had Hail Mary and Grá on my list “to try”

But as I’ve been following Hail Mary (periodically checking out photos on Yelp and Google) the pizzas always are too dark on the cornicione. So I’ve been in no rush. Glad I could wait to have you try it out.

So sad about Superfine. I’m more stunned that the owner hasn’t periodically done a secret shopper bringing him a to go pie to see what’s being made there. These aren’t one-offs. Where’s the quality control by management? Can’t blame the cooks for this, it is not the cooks fault. this is a management/ownership problem!!!

5 Likes

While Hail Mary is not my favorite they do make a very solid pie that I enjoy and I think is worth checking out. Crust is different from others around town. Check their insta sometime they do 10 dollar pizza specials.

Also the owner of Hail Mary is very vocal about BLM, restaurant workers rights, and non-explotation of labor. He refused to work with delivery services over objections about how they treat their “contractors” and their general business practices, so I like supporting his business.

8 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

Yah, great point. In this time of the pandemic, many places lost their staff to a variety of reasons, and the closings, pivoting To-Go Only, or then trying to re-open) and some folks maybe trying to stay safe at home for awhile (or needing to care for family, etc.), it shouldn’t be a surprise that there’d be a drop in quality unfortunately.

1 Like

Thanks for the update! Glad to see a good pizza place on the westside, even if it is in Venice.

I don’t know how you manage to visit so many restaurants! Out of curiosity, how many do you go to in a typical day?

3 Likes