Cheesy, Savory, Delicious! Meat Lovers, Vegetarian and Vegan! A Pizza Journey - Superfine, Il Romanista, DeSano, Pizza Wagon of Brooklyn, Pizzeria Mozza, South End, L’Antica Pizzeria da Michele, Prime, Lupetti, Triple Beam and More! [Thoughts + Pics]

Very disappointing to see that disaster of a pizza at Superfine. What a shame. Too many recent posts about the poor quality.

We are headed to Paso next week and planning on stopping at Pizza Wagon for lunch. There have been some conflicting downhill reports even though Sergio is always in the house. We will report back.

Have you been to Vitos or Joe’s lately? It’s been years (maybe a decade) since we lived in LA but those were our favorites back then before the recent influx of new standard bearers.

Hopefully Little Coyote is still going strong.

2 Likes

So devastated to hear about how things have been lately at Superfine. They made my favorite slice in the city (salami honey) and since they’re near by I used to pick up from them multiple times a month. I haven’t been back in awhile and most recently had a mixed experience–their spinach turned out well but the salami honey was a sloppy mess in the bad way.

I’m curious how the quality has been since they’ve started putting the pizzas on the menu for dine-in at Rossoblu. Maybe with an uptick in the number of pies they’re making they’ve needed to bring on more help? But with the number of consecutive reports you’ve had with poor experiences it seems to be a sustained trend. I hope they turn it around soon.

1 Like

Yeah, it sucks @Chowseeker1999.

The inexperienced replacements are probably being paid less too. It’s like a complete do-over for some restaurants, but with less income. I think L.A. County was careless towards restaurants, expecting them to keep pivoting on short-notice and with little assistance.

2 Likes

I’m so glad I didn’t go to superfine, was going to go over the weekend, the $40 price tag stopped me. Thank you for your report!

1 Like

Hi @Gr8pimpin,

We felt the same. It was a generally solid pie, but the burnt crust for the bottom half of the pizza was a bit off-putting. We want to go back and try more flavors from them.

Re: Superfine - very good points. It is shocking and tragic. :cry: And yes, the fact that management / owner isn’t seeing how bad the pizzas are is disappointing.

Can you believe that we’re currently without Il Romanista, the OG Superfine greatness, Pizzeria Mozza and La Morra? :frowning:

And have you tried La Morra before the pandemic? I forgot. Wonderful Sourdough Neo-Neapolitan pies!

Hi @chowumla,

Thanks. :slight_smile: If South End is nearby for you, give them a try. They also set up an outdoor tented area (with planters, socially distanced tables) so that’s also an option.

Before the pandemic, it would depend on how many friends wanted to join us for a food crawl. :wink: This report was over a few weeks.

2 Likes

Hi @js76wisco,

Yes, it really saddens me (Superfine was one of my favorites in LA!). :frowning:

Hope you enjoy your visit to Pizza Wagon (and yes, we’re concerned as well reading the mixed reports recently).

Wow, no, we haven’t been back to Vito’s or Joe’s in, I forgot. :sweat_smile:

If you find yourself passing through the 101 on the weekend, you might try Gra’s and enjoy on the ride back. We were really pleasantly surprised and loved their Pepperoni and the Organic Sourdough crust. :slight_smile:

Sad to see so many of our favorite pizza spots taking such a hit. I for one can’t wait for la morra to come back and start slinging live pies!

Sorry to hear about your terrible experience at superfine. Hopefully when things stabilize they will be able to right the ship.

1 Like

Prime - Fairfax

Probably not on the level the others are or were. But it’s solid & consistent which seems to be a problem lately. Plus, NY is my favorite style and they do a good job.

Reheats really well too…

Kidding :sweat_smile:… but it does actually reheat really well if piping hot is your thing… and you pay attention.

12 Likes

Hah! I think that’s the first time I caught one before you deleted it. Can I get a badge?

4 Likes

Nice grease chalices!

1 Like

Hi @hungryhungryhippos,

Totally agree. :frowning: Even OC folks lost a good one in Steel Pan (shut down because their indoor food court couldn’t handle COVID-19 situation).

I really hope La Morra returns, but the last time we spoke to them, out of safety concerns (and that is admirable and good that they’re taking it seriously), they were going to remain doing pre-packaged Frozen Pizzas only. :cry:

2 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

Yah, we’ve had mixed experiences with Prime, but glad to hear your latest visit was good. :slight_smile: That reheat picture! LOL.

I was going to say, “Uh, @TheCookie, I think it’s a tad burnt?” :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Prime is identical to the typical NYC slice.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, the frozen La Morra pizza I’ve had has blown any other frozen pies out of the water. Plus the convenience of having them on hand in the freezer is hard to beat at 1am. Plus now I believe they’re always stocked and we don’t have to wait for orders to open up on a particular day.

The momentum they were just starting to gain before the pandemic hit with their pop ups though is such a tough beat.

5 Likes

Hi @rlw,

Oh for sure. I wrote about their frozen pizzas above (in a couple earlier posts, I reviewed 2 different pies from them). :slight_smile:

They are absolutely the best frozen pizzas we’ve had, however, it is a shadow of La Morra Pizzeria’s freshly baked pies right out of their wood burning oven.

4 Likes

What mixed reports? Have I missed something?

The only thing I’ve noticed is the “sometimes too saucy for my tastes” complaint and the “this crust isn’t as flavorful as pizzeria X“ statements that have been made since they opened.

Hi @Gr8pimpin,

I think js was just referencing what you said: Yah that some folks have said it’s too much sauce or one person said the crust wasn’t that flavorful even with Sergio in the house.

I haven’t been back since the pandemic started so hopefully soon! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was referencing the same thing @Chowseeker1999 said and one post on the August 2020 thread. But that was just one opinion from somebody I’m not super familiar with on the board. I’ll let you know in 9.5 days.

2 Likes

The crust has never been flavorful in that completely authentic NYC kind of way.

Too bad there’s no flame suit emoji.

1 Like