Cheesy, Savory, Delicious! Meat Lovers, Vegetarian and Vegan! A Pizza Journey - Superfine, Il Romanista, DeSano, Pizza Wagon of Brooklyn, Pizzeria Mozza, South End, L’Antica Pizzeria da Michele, Prime, Lupetti, Triple Beam and More! [Thoughts + Pics]

:fire: :business_suit_levitating:
or
:woman_firefighter: :fire_extinguisher: :fire_engine:
?
:wink:

Did you ever make it out to La Morra Pizzeria? I think they had the most flavorful crusts (due to Sourdough), Superfine was good (at its height), and the newcomer Gra with its Wild Sourdough Organic crusts also have some nice flavor. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nah LM has been on my list for frozen.

I visited superfine early in the pandemic and thought the ingredient quality was top notch and flavorful but end result extremely floppy and greasy. Guess we know why now. at the time I thought to myself “tastes like a really good Costco pizza”

2 Likes

I will give you cash to walk in there and say “HEY… SERGIO!!!” to Anthony.

1 Like

Can’t comment on the authentic NYC part, but I would agree that the crust is not particularly flavorful at Pizza Wagon.

1 Like

Maybe it’s because I didn’t grow up on the East coast, I like pizza wagon but it doesn’t scratch my pizza itch like it does for some others.

1 Like

I like pizza wagons authentically flavorless crust too.

2 Likes

Evan Funke has a new Roman restaurant with pizza

https://www.fingerscrossedhollywood.com/

5 Likes

Pre pandemic, Gra had slightly more flavorful crust, thought the char/leoparding/overall at La Morra still won out.

Gra also has a tendency to undersauce/top their pizzas, at least imo. For that reason I lean La Morra.

1 Like

Didn’t grow up on the East Coast, but I really like Pizza Wagon b/c it just seems “right.” Good toppings (a lovely crust doesn’t compensate for crap toppings, whereas a bland crust doesn’t detract too much for me if the toppings are good), not “fancy” or innovative, and a conventional size. Well done but not precious. There’s just something nice and “honest” about their slices. And I’m a big white pizza fan, so…

3 Likes

I would say IMHO, the average NYC by-the-slice pizza place is like pizza wagon. The crust texture, and it gets most of its flavor from any color it may get in the oven.

But it’s a foldable vessel.

2 Likes

Considering his pasta prices at Felix, I predict we’ll be seeing stratospherically high pizza prices.

Hi @ShadrackToussaint,

Agreed. :slight_smile: We definitely like La Morra Pizzeria more than Gra (one of the bullet points I listed above on the loss of 4 of L.A.'s best Pizzerias right now). Good to know about Gra’s pre-pandemic state. Thanks.

1 Like

Well, pizza cannot be worth eating, if it isn’t expensive… :wink:

I really enjoy his food, so I’m sure the pizza will be great. But I have no doubt that it will be a “special occasion” pizza, alas…

1 Like

Delete

Pizzana

Caught an episode of The Chef Show featuring Pizzana, and indulged a few times after discovering that I’m within delivery range. I’ve been to their restaurant a handful of times in the past, but the parking situation always made it a pain and I never thought to do delivery. Until now.

The boxes are eye-catching, especially when most places use the same generic boxes. There are also very specific instructions for reheating - pop it in a 500 degree oven for two minutes. I am a fan of reheating using a hot covered pan, which produces amazing results. That is, a crispy crust and bubbling cheese. It’s truly as good if not better than eating it at the restaurant.

I always have to get the Neo Margherita, which is brilliant. Traditional Neapolitan pies are delicious, but with tradition comes a soggy, soupy center. This pizza brings the same flavors while maintaining the integrity of the crust throughout. The sauce tastes bright, and the basil is bold despite being reduced to crumbs.

It’s really easy to say you use quality ingredients, but Pizzana means it. The Bianca is a great example, specifically the sausage and shaved fennel. Sausage is so commoditized, which makes it easy for this one to catch you by surprise.

Pizzana has grown on me a lot, and I’m excited to work my way through their menu.

Lamonica’s

I have to preface this by saying that I ate a ton of Lamonica’s while attending UCLA, especially on Sundays when a whole pizza was $9 with free delivery. The slices are also very good. Fun fact: they have a larger operation that supplies pizza dough for Costco.

Nothing fancy today, just a whole pie with pepperoni.

Like many pizzas, this one improves dramatically when reheated. You get many of the characteristics you want from a New York slice, like scalding cheese that almost burns the roof of your mouth.

I didn’t get a good picture of this, but we drizzled our favorite chili oil on some of the slices and it was magical.

16 Likes

Those are great shots of them pizzas. They look delicious…especially the crust!

1 Like

Reheating pizza is one of my favorite pastimes!

1 Like

Lamonica’s love runs deep for us Bruins. Those pies sustained me through some of my fattest darkest hours.

7 Likes

Speaking of Westwood pizzas, anyone remember Don Antonio’s pizza (I think that’s what it was called)? Have fond memories of that place.

The trojans’ choice in Westwood Village lol…