Cheesy, Savory, Delicious! Meat Lovers, Vegetarian and Vegan! A Pizza Journey - Superfine, Il Romanista, DeSano, Pizza Wagon of Brooklyn, Pizzeria Mozza, South End, L’Antica Pizzeria da Michele, Prime, Lupetti, Triple Beam and More! [Thoughts + Pics]

Luigi ( @ilromanista ) just posted this:

:wave:t3: again! A quick update…my participation in the pizza project I had previously announced came to an abrupt end last week. Thank you to everyone who came out to have my pizza again after so long. Not sure what comes next, so for now I will continue to bask in the glory of :it: winning the #eurocup and bringing it home to Rome!!! #forzaazzurri

#ilromanista #pizzaaltaglio #bestpizzainlosangeles #bestpizzainla #romanstylepizza #incrustwetrust #forzaroma #lafoodie #lafood #laeats #eaterla #yelpla #nomnom #losangeles #pizzailromanista #latimesfood #infatuationla #dinela

10 Likes

I wonder what happened. The pizza was delightful and it was so nice seeing him, again.

2 Likes

Can’t say I am surprised. I was pretty cynical about the whole project after I saw that it was an ex-CPK boss (Rosenfield) project. No way a guy with that background (Rosenfield) didn’t come into this project without his eyes firmly set on expansion. Expansion is not a friend of craftsmanship.

I hope Luigi was properly paid for his contributions and IP.

6 Likes

This is terrible news. I went to Prince of Venice this last week which was so far below what I got from Roca, I immediately started penciling in a trip back.

1 Like

Argh!!! Will I never get to try his pizza??? I hope he lands somewhere that is a good fit for him.

1 Like

What a bummer I agree hopefully he was well compensated and hope he lands on his feet soon his pizza is awesome.

1 Like

He just replied “it’s for the best, honestly.”

6 Likes

My reading is that the Rosenfields saw his value in developing recipes and maybe training chefs in a larger system, but that any role running an actual kitchen wouldn’t involve enough autonomy and/or money. Thankfully for the pizza-eating public, non-compete clauses are not enforceable in CA.

Both Rosenfields were at Roca on my first visit, and they were generous in their praise and credit to Luigi. They indicated he was initially a consultant and then was brought on as an employee. They had brought the chef over from one of their other properties (Bottlefish), and it really sounded like he (the ex-Bottlefish chef) was going to run the Marina restaurant. He’s a real class act by the way; good conversations about the food, thoughtful and generous service every time. I hope that things continue well at Roca, not least because that means more good pizza. If anything, a successful Roca would help Luigi find other backers with terms to his liking.

3 Likes

His talent will pay off.

Hi. This reading of it is wrong. Lots happened behind the scenes which I don’t really want to discuss in a public forum at this time. It was definitely for the best, both on a personal, human level, and professionally.

However, Ohad (the former Bottlefish chef you mentioned) is a great guy who I enjoyed working alongside. I do appreciate all of you who came out to support and have Roman pizza al taglio again. Now that I’m gone, though, I can give no guarantees as to the quality of the dough and product moving forward.

I have no idea what comes next for me :man_shrugging: taking a few deep breaths and trying to figure that out! Definitely going to visit some of the restaurant rec’s that I’ve bookmarked from reading the forum over the last couple years

32 Likes

Sorry for the misinterpretation and thanks for the correction. I’m glad you’re coming out of this in a better place.

2 Likes

We’re pulling for you, Chef!

6 Likes

If you land somewhere, please do let us all know! I’ve not yet had a chance to try your pizza, and I’d love the opportunity to do so. But your health and happiness should always be the priorities. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for the response. Hoping that you get some much needed rest. If you ever do a pop up or other project let the board know, we are all really big fans of your pizza!

4 Likes

Sergio in the house.

2 Likes

Had another fantastic pie from Pizza Wagon.

Crispy, yet chewy crust. Cornicione was nicely risen with some crunch.

Ahhhh…. The chalices….

10 Likes

It’s always so satisfying. I love it

1 Like

Have you tried Prime West LA since your first (and only?) visit? I didn’t visit them that first wk, but the pizzas I’ve had (all the rectangular pies) have all been respectable. The grease chalices today were intact (although the pie was more oily than the others I’ve had).

1 Like

I haven’t. I tried to go there on two other occasions but couldn’t find parking. Had doggy with me and I won’t leave him in a car out of my view.

They won’t let you order slices online, either, otherwise I would’ve just double parked and run in.

I have to believe by now they’ve improved. Had Burbank a week or two ago. Very good!

I wish I liked their square pies. To me they look so much better than they taste. :pensive:

Blasphemy

3 Likes