Cheesy, Savory, Delicious! Meat Lovers, Vegetarian and Vegan! A Pizza Journey - Superfine, Il Romanista, DeSano, Pizza Wagon of Brooklyn, Pizzeria Mozza, South End, L’Antica Pizzeria da Michele, Prime, Lupetti, Triple Beam and More! [Thoughts + Pics]

Update! so, a friend and I went to Bianco today after each of us had a great experience last week…we were there at 1pm and devastatingly saw it was closed…I know it’s a “soft opening” and hours could be subject to change, but I have no clue if they even opened today, so be forewarned, check if they’re open…so, after thinking about it I suggested id be into giving Danny Boy’s again…we split a pie rather than going with slices just to be fair…we had a half sausage & peppers, talk meatball & ricotta.
the pie looked great as did all the pizzas in the case…as I brought the pie to our table, I grabbed my camera a couple fotos of visual evidence…as I was shooting, a guy came up to me and asked if I was there as a “pro” shooting and tasting for publication…I explained my situation and then asked if he was connected to the pizzeria and he said he was “Danny.”
I admitted my first visit was disappointing bc the crust was soft and floppy and all the cheese and toppings came off on one bite…
Well, we each had a couple “biggish” slices of each and I agreed with my friend and later told Danny that it was much better than my other experience…sausage was tasty, meat ball was tasty and it all worked…but after thinking about it a while more, I’m afraid that again the crust had no crunch at all…Danny’s advertises as NYC style pizza but this is a problem…very flavorful pizza, great, juicy & spicy meats, fresh cheeses with a good “pull,” but the crust wasn’t right…
and worst of all, my friend insisted he knew the area and told me to pull into a garage at Wells Fargo complex on Hope St…(to be honest, he suggested looking for a meter but I had no problem last time) well, I get to the cashier and it tells me the parking tab is $40!!! Danny Boys was in the next door bldg and this lot didn’t validate…nor was it well posted…So, extreme and costly disappointment and a too flaccid crust to boot! sorry for the verbiage!
![_DSC6682|690x460](upload://m22

6q6qRfCe7It5NRugl9Kcienk.jpeg)

6 Likes

heres a slice from my first visit

3 Likes

they’re open wed - sat

3 Likes

many thanks porkyBelly! I sure wish id known that cause I wasn’t thrilled with Danny Boy’s

Danny Boy was absolute fire today. Thicker than Sei / Motherwolf, thinner than Prime / Pizza Wagon. Real nice elasticity in the crust. Possibly the best mushroom slice I’ve had in LA. Based on my sample size of 1, maybe even the best slice shop in LA.

10/10 would eat again when visiting the Broad (brief 5 min walk)

11 Likes

Damn Danny boy is truly a dr jekyll mr hyde.

3 Likes

Consistency is the hardest part of making a pizzeria great.

Damn, that"s a lot of basil.

2 Likes

Really! We had a WONDERFUL dinner there recently.

Each slice was just wonderful!! I loved how they were not chintzy with the sauce! The sauce isn’t as good as Vitos… but it’s still excellent!

As for the crust properties. HUGE thumbs up! Ultimately pliable with lots of body. No dippy tips.

The sleeper however was the Grandma Pie! I don’t think I ever had one with a softer and pillowy crust. I appear they bake the crust first and the top it. Whatever… It’s spoiled me fro all others… Perfect balance if THICKIE crust and a ton of sauce and toppings. Grandma would be proud.

I am a Ceasar Salad fiend… and theirs is a total thumbs up. Wonderful Croutons. I wish they didn’t use powder parm… But otherwise, a worthwhile order if you feel like you really need something green to call it dinner.

We are luckily to live close enough we can head over for dinner service (We get off at the Pershing Square/GCM stop and then take Angel’s Flight up), but I SO WISH they were open for weekend, ARGH.

–Dommy!

13 Likes

Passes the fold test! Danny Boy looks like great NYC style pizza.

1 Like

I really enjoyed my visit to danny boy’s

8 Likes

Nice air pockets on those squares

Only reason I haven’t been able to try Danny Boys yet. Darn will have to figure out a way to make it on a weekday. These pics are :fire:

3 Likes

Caviar? Is pizza the new fried chicken?

1 Like

Im stunned by your comments, Ns1!!! I’ve been twice and had reheated slices and a fresh pie…the crust had no crispness at all! soft as a wet rag…I doubt my experiences were atypical…but you clearly love it…God bless!

that does not look like Ceasar dressing

???

It’s pretty identical in appearance to Cardinis…

https://www.target.com/p/cardini-39-s-the-original-caesar-salad-dressing-20fl-oz/-/A-13097137?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&DFA=71700000012732781&CPNG=PLA_Grocery%2BShopping_Local|Grocery_Ecomm_Food_Bev&adgroup=SC_Grocery&LID=700000001170770pgs&LNM=PRODUCT_GROUP&network=g&device=c&location=9073456&targetid=aud-554348709499:pla-511021846505&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1248099&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8amWBhCYARIsADqZJoUE8pJTP59nivUDk7QT2T742o2KHNoX97n4R6Ze8q6ySRhpb7vxPeoaAhQaEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Much better though.

I don’t know…soft & pillowy is not what I like to read about pizza crust…

1 Like

hmmm looks too white…im hoping its just the photo…

the word is Superfine! just got back…had sausage added to a regular pie and it was perfect…7 days a week, 5pm-9pm…

6 Likes

that is crust, what am crust!

1 Like