Clam Pizza

Can anyone here suggest a pizzeria that makes a clam pie?

Like Frank Pepeā€™s?

Parallel Pizzeria in Dana Point I know far as hell lol maybe a staycation in OC?

There was a New Haven clam pie at Smorgasburg I forgot the name

3 Likes

Hi @JeetKuneBao,

Sadly, URBN Pizza is in downhill alert. We had a terrible experience on our most recent visit.

1 Like

Years ago, probably 10 years ago, I had one at Santinoā€™s in Sherman Oaks. The ā€œNeapolitanā€ square (not sure why they call it that) is the crust it came on.

If I remember they called it baby clam and garlic.

It scratched the itch.

I think Baroneā€™s restaurant makes one. Doesnā€™t Village Pizzeria make one? Though I think you mentioned how much you hated the crust.

Iā€™d love to find a great one here in L.A.

where did you go? I was just at URBN in Del Mar and it was top grade and had a great salad, too

that was the cousin of the SD owner of URBNā€¦he made a few nice piesā€¦the URBN in Del Mar had exquisite fennel sausage chunks, mozzarella & gorgonzola, an excellent sauce-just a hint of sweetā€¦the crust cornicione was flat all around and it was cut up like a bar pie
but it was coal fired pizza heaven

2 Likes

Hi @lapizzamaven,

This was at Smorgasburg (in the link above), remember we talked about it? :slight_smile: It used to be great early on, but this most recent visit it was really bad. Glad to hear the Del Mar location is good, thanks.

1 Like

indeed Chowseeker, we discussed it at Smorgasbordā€¦I have no clue about their other 4 or5 locations but Del Mar was excellent other than my minor complaint about ā€œthe Lipā€

1 Like

Milo + Olive intermittently has a clam pizza as a special, but I donā€™t see it listed right now.

3 Likes

GrĆ” LA occasionally has it as a special: graĢ on Instagram: "The Clam Pizza! East coast little neck clams, cooked in white wine (as a broth with cream, bonito flake & dashi). Then topped with smoked potatoes, parsley & parmesan. Best enjoyed with our white wine Clar, truly special combo. #weekendspecial #asliceofnewengland #historicfilipinotown #organicsourdoughpizza"

1 Like

La Morra has run it as a special.

1 Like

And theyā€™re bringing it back:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGQ0Qqshq-C/?igshid=pi8r2sw0iach

3 Likes

I thought the clam pizza at Gra was just okay; I didnā€™t love the flavor combination. But Iā€™d go back to Gra; nice patio, quality food.

1 Like

at least the clams didnā€™t come with the shells which some places, inexplicably, put on their pizzas!

2 Likes

Barones in the valley does it. I happen to love their pizza. Second in LA historically to La Barbaraā€™s in my opinion. I much prefer their sausage, but the clam is good and few other places offer it.

2 Likes

Think the idea is the clams give off their juices, which flavors the pizza.

But I agree with you. Itā€™s a pain.

1 Like

Iā€™m good with the clam juices but why put the shell on the pizza? makes no sense to me

1 Like

I guess itā€™s just laziness or for show. Or maybe to reinforce the idea that youā€™re getting super freshed, not pre shucked clams.

1 Like

Calcium supplement? ;-D

3 Likes

A little more color on La Morraā€™s Clam Pie.

Itā€™s La Morra x Found Oyster.

Potatoes, bacon, and clams met with leek, shallot, and garlic. Like clam chowder on a pie.

https://www.lamorrapizzeria.com/frozen-pizza/found?ss_source=sscampaigns&ss_campaign_id=5f889dc73cb8406445e7f634&ss_email_id=5f88a7e769860e7e76ff0179&ss_campaign_name=NOW+AVAILABLE+FOR+PRE-ORDER&ss_campaign_sent_date=2020-10-15T19%3A50%3A10Z

4 Likes