Covid-19, and how to support the restaurant industry?

Around here, the people who aren’t wearing masks are mentally ill.

If the servers and other staff aren’t wearing masks, they don’t care about each other or their customers.

So they use them once and throw them away . Right . Or wash . I’ve seen so many people walking around with looks like dirty underwear covering their face . Only the n 95 masks work worn once and then tossed . The rest are useless Don’t fool yourself.

Hopefully you wore your mask in and then back out again.

Yea I did . Eating with it was a pleasure. Lift up take a bite. Put it down and chew your food . Repeat . What good is that .

I don’t think any restaurants are asking/requiring that you keep your mask on at the table. Do you think that?

No . I was joking here . I’m finished replying to any comments.

In the midst of a pandemic, ignorance is dangerous to your health and that of others.

Cloth masks don’t stop trapping virus particles out after a single use. They should be washed if they get dirty but they’ll be effective anyway.

3 Likes

We’ve gotten so used to it that I hardly think about it. We have a pair that we leave in the car.

Yep, interesting piece. It appears there’s a few sides to this delivery app argument… and none of them are the customers’ responsibility. But all of them are starting to give me a headache. Everybody should get their food any darn way they want. Happy Eating!

2 Likes

Ultimately the ordinance passed and fees are capped at 15%

I do think it’s sad that these small business owners are worried about the profit margins of tech companies.

Postmates is valued at $2.4 billion and since its inception has received ~$900 million in funding.

These restaurants have determined that continuing to lose 30% of their profits is better than these tech companies restructuring or having to acknowledge that they’re bleeding the industry dry.

And the tech companies say they can’t operate with reduced revenue yet somehow expect restaurants to be able to do that exact thing.

2 Likes

Yep, I was surprised by what some of the restaurant owners said. Also sounds like they have grounds for a class action suit against Google. But the article also talked about how many delivery jobs are created by this deal and at $30hr. I know a lot of folks who would like to make $30hr. The Sweetfin dude was quoted as saying he ‘believes the cost of having to hire and manage his own delivery fleet will be just as, if not more, expensive than using the third-party apps’. Which is my opinion. It seems like restaurants made a deal with the devil but they don’t really want out of it. Today we called Cofax on Fairfax to order food to be picked-up, by us (not delivered). Guess what? The employee said we had to place the order thru a 3rd party service then hung up. We did and it was delicious. I’ll post soon. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m happy the restaurants made noise and got the fees lowered. Postmates is bluffing. They’re going to stop delivering food? :roll_eyes: WTH else are they going to do?

Everybody is dealing with or helping family members who are dealing with frightening loss. I’m done with this issue.

1 Like

This won’t last long. They do it every now and then in general to entice a surge of new drivers to the platform. It actually helps them lower wages in the long run because with more drivers, more competition. Less incentive to actually pay competitive rates. Then they’ll go back to ~$15 an hour. And that’s before vehicle maintenance and gas.

Yeah one thing I realized is that restaurant groups like Sweetfin or a fast-sandwich model like Fat Sals are in a much better position to benefit from a partnership with Postmates.

But most restaurants aren’t in that position. That’s why I respect all the chefs who have said NO to the delivery services and decided to go out on their own.

But like you said, what are you supposed to do in the situation of Cofax?

:rofl: :laughing: :rofl: So true

Wishing all the best to you and yours @TheCookie!!

1 Like

The food delivery services are not profitable. They’re like Uber and Lyft, funding money-losing services with investment capital.

Roy’s friend was first annoyed to discover that DoorDash was providing delivery services for his nondelivery pizzeria: taking web orders without his knowledge, phoning in for takeout and sending a DoorDash delivery worker to pay and pick up the food, and often delivering to a customer who would be annoyed that the pizza arrived cold. And then he was surprised to see DoorDash was selling his $24 pizzas for only $16. This meant he had an arbitrage opportunity: Order his own pizzas at $16, sell them to DoorDash for $24 each, and pocket the difference.

2 Likes

This information is finally going mainstream.

2 Likes

Yeah it reminds me of Amazon losing money on Kindles and ebooks for a long time to convince people to switch due to low prices.

Ubers original plan was to tolerate human drivers until driverless cars became a thing before accepting how naively over optimistic their timeline was.

Then they transitioned to UberEats…who now want to buy GrubHub…

I think it’s more like the dot-com era or the mortgage bubble. Too many people and organizations with money they want to invest and too few good places to invest it.

1 Like

Ah I see what you’re saying. Makes total sense.

This article may be about San Diego, but I think the comments and concerns expressed by the chefs and owners interviewed for the article probably reflect those of chefs and owners in other cities and states as well.

1 Like

A good article about a dreary reality. It’s going to be a long road home.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2020/05/23/with-restaurants-closed-cdc-warns-increasingly-aggressive-rodents-looking-new-food-sources/

I guess health codes are not very effective at keeping rodents out of restaurant trash. Maybe especially in NYC where they put trash out in bags instead of covered metal bins.