Covid-19, and how to support the restaurant industry?

The food delivery services are not profitable. They’re like Uber and Lyft, funding money-losing services with investment capital.

Roy’s friend was first annoyed to discover that DoorDash was providing delivery services for his nondelivery pizzeria: taking web orders without his knowledge, phoning in for takeout and sending a DoorDash delivery worker to pay and pick up the food, and often delivering to a customer who would be annoyed that the pizza arrived cold. And then he was surprised to see DoorDash was selling his $24 pizzas for only $16. This meant he had an arbitrage opportunity: Order his own pizzas at $16, sell them to DoorDash for $24 each, and pocket the difference.

1 Like

This information is finally going mainstream.

2 Likes

Yeah it reminds me of Amazon losing money on Kindles and ebooks for a long time to convince people to switch due to low prices.

Ubers original plan was to tolerate human drivers until driverless cars became a thing before accepting how naively over optimistic their timeline was.

Then they transitioned to UberEats…who now want to buy GrubHub…

I think it’s more like the dot-com era or the mortgage bubble. Too many people and organizations with money they want to invest and too few good places to invest it.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/355/transcript

1 Like

Ah I see what you’re saying. Makes total sense.

This article may be about San Diego, but I think the comments and concerns expressed by the chefs and owners interviewed for the article probably reflect those of chefs and owners in other cities and states as well.

A good article about a dreary reality. It’s going to be a long road home.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2020/05/23/with-restaurants-closed-cdc-warns-increasingly-aggressive-rodents-looking-new-food-sources/

I guess health codes are not very effective at keeping rodents out of restaurant trash. Maybe especially in NYC where they put trash out in bags instead of covered metal bins.

Followed that Substack link. The comments are pretty interesting.

*the business model of that eatgeek link seems…I’m curiously how many Halal Guys locations actually use it