Covid-19, and how to support the restaurant industry?

I hope they have decent soup in the Senior Citizens’ Ghetto.

Maybe we’ll all have to wear a red “S”.

And discriminated against and discarded with prejudice if we need health care.

It’ll be a puree of some sort so it’s easy to eat :wink: maybe they’ll start carding to make sure that you are young enough to go out

Yes, the possibility of being fined for Old Fart Walking has occurred to me.

1 Like

I hope that your prediction of “most” turns out to be very wrong, Robert.

Northgate Markets opened up half hour early for seniors only to go shopping this morning. I think its a nice gesture but it still considers risk in case any of the seniors are infected but maybe not showing symptoms.

I work in a small office of 9 people everybody between the ages of 25-45. Cubicle style. Two of us have our own offices so 7 people on the floor. Last week 2 people called out sick with cold/flu like symptoms. This morning 2 new people called out sick. Nobody has been tested. We are all working from home starting today.

1 Like

The first part of my prediction seems to be spot on with so many local and state governments ordering restaurants to close.

Josef Centeno, 45, the chef-owner of Baco Mercat, Bar Ama and Orsa & Winston in downtown L.A. and Amacita in Culver City, preemptively transitioned all his restaurants to takeout- and delivery-only on Friday. He worries he won’t be able to sustain his businesses on such orders for long. “We’ll be completely out of money in like a week and a half. … I’m mentally preparing to pretty much lose everything.” …

Chad Colby, chef at Italian restaurant Antico on Beverly Boulevard, said his shop doesn’t have a delivery service set up. He plans to spend Monday talking to the delivery services but is hesitant about the financial feasibility. “The numbers really don’t make sense; that’s why we haven’t done it in the past,” Colby said.

1 Like

Good on Chef Centeno for being open about how much this will affect him. I wish there were more of this transparency coming from leaders in the food world. He employs a lot of people and these closures affect every single one of them. There are a lot more restaurants and restaurant groups out there facing the same fear.

Edit: A lot of people spoke up in that article and good on them.

2 Likes

A bar/restaurant/brewery in Reno, which had been for sale for probably a year, closed its doors permanently today.

The SF Bay Area’s under near-lockdown for the next three weeks. Restaurants can be open for takeout only.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/local-politics/article/Bay-Area-must-shelter-in-place-Only-15135014.php

Closing the doors was the only way Lillian could keep her business afloat, and it will still cost $6,000 a month just to maintain the business, even without any staff on payroll or food-related expenses, she said.

https://www.latimes.com/food/story/2020-03-15/coronavirus-dilemma-restaurant-closures-chefs-los-angeles

Tiantian Qiu, who owns three restaurants in Los Angeles, is in a bind. She pays more than $30,000 in monthly rent to commercial real estate landlords. … two of her restaurants are in shopping centers, which creates an additional quandary: Built into her leases is a penalty if she chooses to close her doors. “You have to open in order to make the mall look good.” She says that if she closed Hip Hot, part of a large multi-restaurant complex, she might be on the hook for an additional $100 a day on top of her rent.

The fear and panic “stump grinder” has finally come down on us, and I’m afraid that for many restaurants, the Menu of the Day is going to be Toast.

2 Likes

We’re lucky that here in Reno almost nothing is more than a 20 minute drive and that’s a LONG drive. We have many places near us, 5 to 10 minutes away.

I think you mean larcenous.

:blush:

Hmmm “shelter-in-place” orders going to throw a monkey wrench on this. Can’t win :tired_face:.

STAY AT HOME #FlattenTheCurve and let this pass quickly!

2 Likes

The SF Bay Area orders let you go to restaurants to pick up food.

I think Caviar must give restaurants the best deal, since that’s what all the places I’ve gotten email from are using.

Good to know, looks like “Shelter-in-Place” is headed for NYC.

Just in case the ‘kids’ think they’re invincible