Covid-19, and how to support the restaurant industry?

@Sgee, c’mon man…

Don’t post scary tabloid bullshit like this. The NY Post is not a reliable source.

4 Likes

Yeah, I suspect the SF Bay Area orders will be a model for other hot spots.

If someone aged 10-39 gets COVID-19, current guess is there’s a 1 in 500 chance that they’ll die. People in their 40s, 1 in 250. So obviously some people those ages have terrible symptoms.

2 Likes

I think some of it is true, friend from HK sharing some patients are recovering with permanent lung damage :grimacing:.

Obviously no one truly knows the full impact of the virus on the population at large at this stage.

Moral of the story, DON"T GET :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: INFECTED!

3 Likes

it’s the only local rag without a paywall - oops I guess I know why… :expressionless:

3 Likes

The NYT has dropped some of it’s paywall, as has the Washington Post. The Guardian has two live blogs (one for the US, one for the UK and the rest of the world - new blogs are started each day) that are full access (as is the rest of their site).

6 Likes

Thanks @ElsieDee, promise more reliable content going forward :grin:

1 Like

Starting to see more resources and funds to help restaurant workers. I have not had the time to vet any of these sites but I’m sure more will surface soon.

3 Likes

Yay!

Btw, while I’m all for supporting legit journalism, you can get around the paywall on some sites (not the LAT or WSJ) by using the private browsing/incognito option. Also regularly clearing your cache.

AP News is free and a great resource, too.

2 Likes

I max out on this everyday - how I consume news daily. I switch between Chrome, Firefox and Explorer until I run out, then it’s fake news the rest of the day :weary:

2 Likes

Clear the cache, shut down browser, restart device. Oh, and run Privacy Badger (at least on Firefox) to block some of the tracking beacons.

4 Likes

:joy: you’re a pro!

2 Likes

One more thing: many libraries have subscriptions to the various newspapers. Get an online membership and access papers through the library portal!

3 Likes

i believe the LAT has dropped the paywall on their coronavirus content.

2 Likes
1 Like

I predict the political tide will turn soon when it dawns on everybody that there’s no exit strategy for these efforts to flatten the curve. People will not be willing to flush their futures down the toilet to flatten the curve.

1 Like

Ok,

“WHO considers ‘airborne precautions’ for medical staff after study shows coronavirus can survive in air” — suspended in the air for over 3 hours.

1 Like

That’s not going to happen if hospitals are overwhelmed, and nationally we’re still on track for that to happen.

With the shelter-in-place measures in the SF Bay Area, in three weeks spread should be drastically reduced. Epidemiologists and public health officials can then calculate when and to what extent restrictions can be relaxed and what new policies might replace them, maybe following the South Korean model.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/03/16/social-distancing-coronavirus/

In the meantime, scientists are running lots of models and getting more information.

1 Like

The good thing is . The local bar called ABC. They did not know where they are located or ever heard of the name of it . Cool . Open for business.

1 Like

I read about this $1000 check that is being proposed. Is that supposed to be for everybody? If so we’ll certainly donate it but then have to figure out where. We already make an automatic, monthly donation to our local food bank so I’d be inclined to do that.

1 Like

Our 401(k) lost 40% of its value in '08.

1 Like