COVID-19 LA Discussion | Will you continue to order takeout or delivery as the COVID-19 pandemic spreads in LA?

3/17/20: Updated this thread to a general COVID-19 LA Discussion. Let’s keep this friendly and use this forum to keep each other updated with news, tips, helpful, and useful information for our new normal.

See also the other thread specifically for shopping and cooking tips and ideas.

Be safe and healthy everyone!

It has now hit close to home with 4 new COVID-19 cases in the Valley. We’re all suppose to practice social distancing of at least 6 feet. I will stop eating out for now and limit my visits to non-essential public places until this virus is under control. Who knows who these locals (or other local international travelers) have interacted with and infected since their arrival from another country? We’re not testing everyone who is feeling ill for coronavirus. Thoughts?

1 Like

Seems like a great time to go to sea harbour for dim sum

13 Likes

I won’t go to places that are currently super crowded. That still leaves lots of places to eat where I can sit 6+ feet away from others…

2 Likes

Time to trot out the classic Yogi Berra line again: “Nobody goes there anymore. It’s too crowded.”

5 Likes

Yes. The question isn’t if you will become exposed, but when. The point of limiting contact is to slow the outbreak, not prevent it from occurring, so that the health care system doesn’t get overwhelmed by a huge spike in cases.

10 Likes

@anneexploresla
Why are you specifically calling out people who arrived from Italy?

1 Like

No. I am 70 and I have a compromised immune system - my white blood cell count is below the healthy normal range due to chemotherapy back in 2012-2013.

Yesterday I ventured from my apartment and walked (I wouldn’t consider busing) to Victory Bread and got take out.

I kept my distance from employees. I sat at the farthest table. When my order was ready, I placed my cash payment on the table closest to the cooking area and let the employee pick up the cash and place my order on that table. I picked up my order when he returned to the kitchen.

I hope that kept me safe. Of couse maybe there was some dangerous virus on the plastic bag or food container. I am keeping my thoroughly washed fingers crossed.

7 Likes

I am going to continue eating out. We’re not going to be able to save all of the restaurants we frequent from closing but they need all the help right now. If we don’t support restaurants many will not be back once we are on the other side.

If schools get shut down which I think they will in the next few days this might be the only time I leave the house. If I’m infected I will self quarantine. Otherwise I’ll continue to be vigilant washing my hands, trying to use cards when possible and making sure people handling food are wearing gloves.

7 Likes

The cases in the Valley she’s referring to were people who’d been skiing in Italy.

It’s still a slippery slope in word choices as it is now a community spread. Wording like that is a dog whistle test. Best practices on mitigating this outbreak can be conveyed without it.

And thanks for the info @happycat as I didn’t hear about the skiers.

1 Like

Perhaps the long lines at Sqirl might’ve dissipated too…

Social distancing may be necessary here for a few weeks.

Where my doctors at

2 Likes

I bought life insurance this year so I’m all good.

4 Likes

I was hoping for a Darwinian effect for the stupidest amongst society.

This is from NYT article. Discussion with the head of the WHO.

1 Like

Yes, response has a lot to do with it. They’re fever testing everyone and containing in china though not forcing social distancing from start. Italy was late and we saw what happened.

I won’t be more cautious than public health officials ask. Here’s the latest for LA:

At this time, there is no immediate threat to the general public and no special precautions are required. Los Angeles County residents, students, workers, and visitors are encouraged to engage in their regular activities and practice good public health hygiene, as this is the height of flu season across the County.

http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/media/Coronavirus/

Pregnant women, individuals with underlying health conditions, and older people should practice social distancing

http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/phcommon/public/media/mediapubhpdetail.cfm?prid=2256

Public Health continues to recommend that the public do the following to protect themselves and others from respiratory illnesses:

• Avoid non-essential travel, public gatherings, or places where large groups of people congregate, such as ticketed events (such as theaters, concert halls, and sporting events) if you are at higher risk of getting very sick from infection, such as the elderly (65 or older), people with underlying health conditions, and pregnant women.
  • Abstain from all cruise ship travel, as suggested by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
  • Avoid travel to all areas where there are outbreaks of COVID-19.
  • Follow all social distancing recommendations issued by Public Health.
  • If you are mildly sick with a fever, stay home until you have been fever-free for 72 hours, except to get medical care.
  • Those with high risk factors and who have fever or new or worsening cough, should consider contacting their providers earlier when they are sick.
  • Event organizers should consider postponing or cancelling non-essential community events, especially those that may be attended by the elderly, pregnant women, or people with chronic health conditions.

http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/phcommon/public/media/mediapubhpdetail.cfm?prid=2261

2 Likes

There’s still hope.

8 Likes

One can hope MAGA.
:sneezing_face::nauseated_face::face_vomiting::man_zombie:

1 Like

lol… our CFO is sick and doctors didn’t have a test…

aaaaand we’re about to get the work from home announcement so it’s coming… get your beans and rice and enjoy time at home … dont eat your kids.

3 Likes