COVID-19 LA Discussion | Will you continue to order takeout or delivery as the COVID-19 pandemic spreads in LA?

As someone with “underlying health issues,” I tend to be a bit more vigilant; at this point, per physicians’ guidance, I am avoiding most all social spaces, keeping a physical distance when interactions happen, and not dining out. Still getting take-out, but starting to rethink that (with much teeth-gnashing).

Pantry/fridge/freezer are well-stocked (but for fresh greens), we’re in good shape for critter food, and I’m getting ready to make a big pot of split pea soup.

For those who haven’t gotten a flu shot, please get one now. It’s not too late, and - regardless how healthy you are - getting the flu will impact your immune system and (should you be exposed to it) make it harder for your body to fight the Covid-19 virus.

Edited to add: Keep an eye on your elderly neighbors and friends, and those who are dealing with health challenges, please. Reach out and see if they need anything from the store or other errands. Tell them they’re not alone: we need to stick together and support each other.

14 Likes

i’m hoping that in a couple of weeks we’ll see some restaurants showing heightened awareness of the issue, with all servers and cooks wearing surgical masks. if only line cooks will be reassured to get paid sick leaves, so those ‘just mildly under the weather’ wouldn’t be coming to work as usual, perhaps just enough people will feel safe enough to continue to eat out to keep the industry from collapsing…

1 Like

People should fucking do what public health officials recommend.

By current recommendations, masks are for health care workers, infected individuals, and fucking assholes. If you’re not in one of those groups, don’t buy or wear them.

8 Likes

I have no clue if anything attached is true … fwiw. It may well be fake news and propaganda by the Dems. Consume at your own risk

The right side of that image is cut off.

good luck.

the Italians too followed public health officials’ recommendations. and ignored what they’ve learned in Asia where these outbreaks happened before.

1 Like

We can see that we learned from their response and both NY and LA are now reacting before we have a big spread. Tons of companies just announced work from home including mine and i’m sure schools do Monday or Tuesday.

These are not very well thought-out advices. Much more extreme social distancing is absolutely critical to have a chance to get this reasonably (not Taiwan/SK level but hopefully also not worth than Italy) under control within the next 2-3 months. And we need many, many, many more people tested to have any chance

i get why one may think over-reaction to stock up on masks isn’t necessary. but the logic of wearing masks is not to protect the servers and line cooks themselves. they interact with a lot of people. one may not be aware of being infected in the early stages. so they should wear masks to protect their customers.

1 Like

Friend in HK cautioned, one of the hotbeds for contraction are elevators… I hold my breath when I’m in one.

One real problem in the US is that that due to the panic-driven hoarding and waste of masks there aren’t enough for hospital workers, so they get sick and have to quarantine themselves, exacerbating the shortage of hospital care.

You guys are public health officials of which jurisdictions again?

3 Likes

Any word on how this expected week of rain will affect Los Angeles? That plus less flights out of LAX/in general must have some effect on pollution, smog and air quality, same with more people working from home.

There are enough well respected health experts all over the news media who clearly say that there two main approaches to potentially get a handle on the situation - extreme testing and/or extreme social distancing. Since US failed (and will fail for quite some time) to have extreme testing capabilities we have to move to extreme social distancing. Just one article (but there are many more which clearly show the LA recommendation is not very well thought out)

1 Like

I had fun coughing in the work elevator today on the way to lunch then said joking and they all laughed… yay

Went to Cassia last night. Was still quite busy. And delicious. That new Smoked Beef Rib is the bomb.

Went to Ama*cita the night before, also crowded but not as crowded as it has been. Oaxacan Shrimp Ceviche , blistered okra and Sand Dabs were terrific.

Looks easier than usual to get online ressies at a decent time @ Nightshade LA.

7 Likes

Keep it up :smiley: :ok_hand: :+1: :heartbeat:

https://twitter.com/Davefox2/status/1237906382193438720

You’re my hero!

this report is quite worrying… 5 weeks?!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-12/coronavirus-can-live-in-patients-for-five-weeks-after-contagion?utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_medium=social&cmpid=socialflow-facebook-business&utm_content=business&fbclid=IwAR2iA9PhHV53eBDUAYj5PuaDMxZkQB5h5mkcm2G06AOiCAZyJAFKDwKWiic

My building sprays the elevator buttons and door handles with disinfectant.