COVID-19 LA Discussion | Will you continue to order takeout or delivery as the COVID-19 pandemic spreads in LA?

Yeah, lots of really irresponsible thinking going on. Be safe, stay at home.

3 Likes

To be safe, get your information from your local public health officials, not social media. From today’s recommendations for LA:

What can I do to protect myself and others from respiratory infections like 2019-nCoV?

As with other respiratory illnesses, there are steps that everyone can take daily to reduce the risk of getting sick or infecting others with circulating viruses.

• Stay home when you are sick.
  • Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
  • If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
  • Limit close contact, like kissing and sharing cups or utensils, with people who are sick.
  • Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
  • Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash. If you do not have a tissue, use your sleeve (not your hands).
  • Get a flu shot to prevent influenza if you have not done so this season.

http://www.publichealth.lacounty.gov/media/Coronavirus/FAQ.pdf

Recommendations in hot spots are more extreme, for example, in Seattle:

Do not go to the emergency room unless essential. Emergency rooms need to be able to serve those with the most critical needs. If you have symptoms like cough, fever, or other respiratory problems, contact your regular doctor first

https://kingcounty.gov/depts/health/communicable-diseases/disease-control/novel-coronavirus/protection.aspx

Lots of wine @ TJs (3rd & La Brea and I imagine at other locations as well) although many empty shelves for food. They were limiting the number of folks in the store. I had to wait 10 minutes or so just to get in.

I didn’t stop by to stock up—just pick up some groceries and toilet paper (which they had none of and I had to walk to my corner Ktown liquor store to get a small/overpriced package of 4). Now I’m going to have to hit up a couple more places tomorrow just to fill in some basic food essentials.

2 Likes

And what about the small business owners, employees, Uber drivers, etc. who rely on us going out for their livelihoods? When there is no end in sight for how long this “stay at home” policy will be in place? (I have no idea why anybody thinks it would be one month. If you the take the “flatten the curve” argument seriously, then it will need to be at least a year – until we get a vaccine.) So we will enter into an economic depression for the benefit of smoothing out the rate at which people get coronavirus. Doesn’t sound like a good plan to me.

2 Likes

Hi @bruins -

A couple of posters you might be referring to don’t advertise it but are in the medical profession. We can all post links that confirm our opinion and that’s okay, but there’s just as many links to support someone else’s opinion. This is hard but I think we need to do us and let others do them.

P.S. I f-ing miss @bulavinaka! We could use one of his sage posts, right now.

4 Likes

I’d planned to give up restaurants for Lent (actually to save money to pay for a garden makeover), but given the panic I feel like I should do my part.

1 Like

I had to cancel my first trip to Italy and did it without complaint. I’m going to enjoy a few nice meals in local restaurants if I feel like it, sorry.

5 Likes

What is another good option for you without more people dying ?

1 Like

We’re going to try Costco on Monday. We have TONS of TP on hand. Should we sell it for $2/roll? F no.

3 Likes

well, i don’t know what the best response to the growing crisis might be but i’m sure glad it’s not being left to the braintrust of food talk central to figure out.

1 Like

Maybe a visit to Bulgarini as a consolation? Intimate dining, and those artichokes highlighted in the last email looked delightful. Maybe we could join you?

2 Likes

My shopping strategy is Ralphs on Pico close to Doheny on the morning of Shabbad aka tomorrow morning. Guaranteed success

4 Likes

Article from LA Taco on how things are hitting restaurants: How Coronavirus Is Affecting L.A.'s Taquerias, and What You Can Do to Help ~ L.A. TACO

Main takeaway for me: catering orders are getting crushed; regular orders (especially delivery) are rising slightly.

And, on what to do to help:

Order in via online food delivery apps. You would be surprised how many of your favorite brick and mortar taquerias are conveniently available through the many of them.
Taqueros in the street are aware of the situation and are implementing every measure they can to prevent any spreading of COVID-19 or any other disease and illness. As aforementioned, including the stricter use of latex gloves and removal of time-honored taqueria traditions like salsa bars.
Not to mention that street taquerias are not in an enclosed space, which is what you want to avoid to lessen your risks of contracting Coronavirus.
Lastly, larger sit-down Mexican restaurants are also subject to feel the squeeze of fewer diners willing to go out. A way to support your favorite spot but also take care of yourself is to purchase gift certificates for them to redeem later. This ensures there is still cash flow, which is vital for many restaurants to stay in the green.

We still haven’t canceled our May trip but I don’t feel too confident about it :frowning:

Also ppl stop buying wine at supermarkets. This is FTC, act like it :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I would recommend that everyone support our local businesses and restaurants by ordering take out directly through the restaurant instead of using apps such as Postmates or GrubHub since they take a cut of each order. We all have to stay in as recommended by our government officials for now to slow down this pandemic. What I am afraid of is all the people who may be carrying COVID-19, but are asymptomatic including myself. I’ve eaten at many restaurants this year and attended a crowded concert just last week. For the benefit of our senior community and our elderly relatives, I would not be out and about right now. I have been thinking it would be a good time to go for hike, visit the beach, catch up on some movies on Netflix and ordering in… or learning how to cook on YouTube) for the next month. I feel bad for FOH at restaurants, but we need to work together and curb the rapid spread of this virus so we can get back to our normal daily lives.

I’ll take my chances

1 Like

Folks, to each their own but I had a heart to heart with a neighborhood restaurant manager and cook tonight. They are concerned about slow business but equally concerned about getting sick as they have no health insurance. I want to continue to support the business but I want to also minimize their risks too. Specifically, the cook said she would be bankrupt if anyone in her family had to get hospitalized for any length of time. Many of us are privileged and are oblivious to the concerns of the people who cook our food. I don’t have the solution to this, but dining out might be equally problematic as not.

3 Likes

Bad bad karma

Is this better?

https://www.reddit.com/r/CoronavirusCA/comments/fdieal/psa_a_note_of_caution_regarding_covid19/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

You know I wasn’t serious, right?

1 Like