Daybird - Szechuan Hot Chicken

new mei lin szechuan hot chicken restaurant opens today, thanks for the heads up @NYCtoLA

240 N Virgil Ave #5
Los Angeles, CA

11 Likes

Damn, I miss Nightshade.

There’s also a good Thai massage place at 240 N Virgil (no happy ending). I would get the massage before the hot chicken.

3 Likes

that would be an interesting bang x bang…lol.

9 Likes

I miss massages.

2 Likes

I thought this was dead, with how long it took to open up.

She popped up at Culver City 2-3 months ago with them and the sando was very good.

Placed order earlier today. Picking up in a few. Very excited to try.

2 Likes

ORDER AHEAD

Showed up to a massive line but if you order ahead through their website, you can just walk up to the front and give them your name. Sergio was in the house.

Chicken sados. Got one in mild and one in medium. Medium spicy and up gets pickled chilis in the slaw. Chicken stayed perfectly crispy (~15 min drive) and no sogginess whatsoever on the buns. Speaking of buns, they leave one side of the bun uncut like a pork bun so that the chicken and slaw doesn’t slip out the bottom when you bite into it. Also much cleaner to eat than Howlin’s sandwich, which is impossible to eat w/o a stack of napkins. I thought the flavors were amazing. The szechuan peppercorn flavor is very present and works really well with the bun and slaw. Nice big juicy piece of dark meat chicken.

2 piece chicken strips. Hot spicy level. Definitely a different spicy level than Nashville hot chicken like we’ve gotten used to. For someone who doesn’t handle spicy that well, I was able to finish this. My mouth is burning but I did finish it. No way I can finish “Hot” level at Howlin’ for reference. I thought these were solid but not as good as the sandos.

I can’t decide if I like this or Howlin’s sando better. I guess good thing is I don’t have to pick just one.

25 Likes

nice report, going to try tomorrow.

Oh man, that is going on my short list.

Sergio

szechuan hot chicken sando
daybird > howlin’ ray’s. because dark meat. I said it.

got the mild and it had a pleasant sweetness with about the same level of heat as a mild howlin’.

super crispy, super juicy and tender, super delicious. @TheCookie

fries and tenders were disappointing. tenders were super small, the four pieces I got were the size of two normal tenders. both were not crispy.

26 Likes

Whaaa?!! I can almost imagine a certain someone exploding with questions right about now. I have just one - do you like it better than HR because they use dark meat or is it a better sando period?

4 Likes

couldn’t preorder at all today. wonder if they nixed that option for technical/order managment reasons or like seeing the long lines instead.

Those actually look like the chicken tenders, as opposed to chicken strips which are cut up pieces of chicken breast.

A lot of places call chicken strips, tenders, when they’re not.

How much did those cost?

2 Likes

hi @TheCookie

I think I like it better mainly because of the extra crispy dark meat. the fluffy potato bun helps too.

4 Likes

ah I think you’re right, I got my white meat chicken terms confused. but they still seemed pretty small even compared to the previous picture above.

the four tenders were $13.

1 Like

IMHO, That’s a hefty bill for that.

forgot to mention free on-site parking.

2 Likes

Not sure if I should bang this with Burgers Never Say Die or Langer’s. Daybird is smack dab in the middle.

3 Likes

Bang^3 is the only answer

10 Likes