Daybird - Szechuan Hot Chicken

what time did you try? I saw they were accepting online orders around opening time.

Hmm so weird I tried all morning! Before and after opening. Kept on getting restaurant not accepting orders or something like that

Agreed the tenders were really small and not as good as the sandos.

Don’t bother and get the sandos.

1 Like

they’re closed today

wasn’t worth it

1 Like

I know… Only after checking IG (b/c the website says open on Sundays). ::sigh::

Frenzy is over. No line at 1pm.

4 Likes

merch

3 Likes

Terrific sandwich…so moist…slaw was really great, and the heat level (hot) did the trick without being too much. Liked the hot honey dipping sauce. Daybird sauce on the side didn’t have any great flavor on it own. I did not detect any Sichuan pepper flavor or numbness/tingling.
Elvis was working the fryer and line.
2 parties on line when we arrived and we got served about 15 mins after ordering.
Spotted @chrishei in the wild.

Tried to bang bang with Dino’s but the line was really long.
Ended up with an order of Dayribs from Ham Ji Park.

22 Likes

damn the fry on mei’s chicken looks exactly like the crispy scales on fried amadai.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNNnY5_BMrC/

2 Likes

Arrived just after noon to a modest line and ordered a sando (medium) and a tender (hot) with pickles and a couple of sauces.

Tender (for the road)

The tender was quite large and wonderfully crispy. The hot spice level wasn’t overwhelming and thankfully didn’t obliterate my pallet, but it had a really nice lingering heat.

I enjoyed the two sauces I got–Daybird Sauce and the Habanero Ranch. The Daybird Sauce gave me a bit of a really creamy BBQ sauce vibe, while the Habanero Ranch just slapped.

Szechuan Hot Chicken Sando

Wanting a fastball down the middle, I went with medium for the sando, and found it incredibly delicious. The chicken itself was perfectly cooked–super juicy on the inside and with a superior crisp on the outside. It’s quite remarkable how well executed this fried chicken is, though I wouldn’t expect anything less with Chef Lin at the helm.

A thought on the construction of the sandwich: the piece of chicken is massive and obviously doesn’t fit in the bun, which is fine. The slaw though is essential to the experience to balance it all out, so I did a bit of surgery and cut the chicken in half so I could get it all between the bun.

I could have used a bit more heat on the chicken, so I think the move is to go with the hot spice level in the future. Overall though, this sandwich is a banger.

Now for the inevitable Davbird vs. Howlin’ Ray’s fried chicken sandwich comparison. Straight up, I think Howlin’ Ray’s still has the belt. Daybird executes better chicken, but the whole sandwich from Howlin’ Ray’s comes together with a slight edge. At the end of the day though, they’re both work seeking out.

Some stray thoughts: there was no line by the time I left around 1pm at Daybird, while we know Howlin’ Ray’s often saw hours long lines well past lunch time. Now that the only way (currently) to get Howlin’ Ray’s is through delivery, that’s really no longer a barrier. As long as you can get Howlin’ Ray’s delivered quickly so the quality of the sandwich doesn’t take a nosedive, it’s hard to beat that proposition of no line and a fantastic sandwich. Though if you want something that’s just as awesome and guaranteed to be fresh with minimal effort, Daybird can’t be beat.

I’m looking forward to round 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and on and on of the debate. Competition is good.

11 Likes

It is possible to get it delivered quickly? I haven’t tried recently, but I was actually AT the Far East Plaza, and the sandwich was still largely soggy.

I’m about a mile away, so from pick up to drop off it’s been solid for me! Obviously not as great as it would be with pick up, but beggars can’t be choosers.

3 Likes

@rlw Thank you for the report!!!

That looks considerably larger than what @PorkyBelly posted, you can compare it in his photo above.

it looks like they went away from the actual chicken tenders (so much more expensive and smaller) and now are cutting up chicken into strips?

1 Like

I’m so glad you brought that up.

She’s clearly making a statement that a sandwich can be more than “just” a sandwich, which purists may object to, while others (what’s the best antonym of purist here?) of a more progressive sensibility may adore.

I, personally, love the architecture of this thing. It fulfills all that a sandwich is and should be, while giving one a big bonus chunk of bird (flying??? out of the top). You can go for the bonus first - it can be eaten without destroying the integrity of the sandwich (if you keep the rest of it inside the cardboard wrapper). Or surgically remove it, as @rlw suggests, for follow up pleasures.

5 Likes

so you basically constructed a double chicken sandwich? brilliant.

The great part is, the integrity of the sandwich holds up, so that if you get a good grip on the other end you can easily drop a bunch of sauce on the naked end and eat it like you would a tender.

It was definitely a BIG bite. My jaw was stretched.

3 Likes

I kinda felt like it was showing off the technique on the chicken, making sure you get some bites of the thing itself so you can appreciate it without the cover of sauce/slaw. I liked having both segments, but I agree that the slaw is fantastic.

(fwiw I also prefer Howlin’ Ray’s chicken outside of the sandwich - as a whole bird or wings or tenders - so this may be a me thing, ymmv etc)

1 Like

1pm drive by today and no line to be found. Is the buzz already gone?

maybe there are still on soft open schedule? close sunday-tuesday