Daytrip - Temescal

The beverage director’s a good friend, so I’ve been three times plus once just to drink. I thought I took more pictures.

The rockfish dip is great. Kind of like brandade / mantecato de bacalao. Super wine-friendly, I’ll order it any time it’s on the menu.

Carrots three ways, roasted, fermented, and ? I forget. Get the focaccia to sop up the sauce.

Other highlights were spicy head-on shrimp (I’m a really hard sell on shrimp), celery salad, pasta with miso butter, lamb tartare, tiramisu with mascarpone made in house from Alexandre milk, Gorgonzola with savory chocolate shortbread, soppressata aka headcheese … I wish I’d taken more notes or photos. Check their Instagram feed for hours, It was Thurs.-Sun. from 4 pm but they’re planning to add another day.

The wines are pretty much at the other end of the “natural” spectrum from funky. The Eater writer just loves that word.

2 Likes

That’s nice to hear. Can’t wait to try this place next time I’m up there

Herb salad was really good. There were crunchy bits I thought were maybe walnuts or pecans, turned out to be dehydrated Castelvetrano olives.

The squash soup is great. Somehow the roe and vadouvan intensify the squash flavor.

Beef short rib pithivier with greens and I forget what. Delicious but insanely rich, I took around half home. More recently they were doing a version with mushrooms, gruyere, and smoked Dijon which sounds lighter.

Burmese-Philippine pop-up Monday.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CW_TdtIv2d6/

1 Like

Tartare was great, nice spice level. This was after I mixed in the egg yolk.

You can’t see the spaghetti, brilliant and unexpected mix of flavors with the ribs.

Citrus athoke, great mix of textures and aromatics.

This was some of the best chaat I’ve had. I wish there had been a little more curry leaf, ran out halfway through.

Steak was cooked just right but I was getting full.

Or at least I thought I was getting full until the fried rice came out. Almost finished it, would have if there’d been more rice, took some of the sausage home.

1 Like

Warm Monterey Bay squid, peanuts, cilantro, fish sauce vinaigrette, eight kinds of citrus: very Thai flavors, nice and spicy.

Radish cake, caramelized rutabaga, beet gel, braised shitake: good though nothing like the Chinese dish I was imagining. The radish cake was fried crunchy and the texture was more like mashed potatoes.

Fried oysters with colatura Buffalo sauce and nori ranch: great dish, hard not to order if it’s on the menu.

Finally made it in the other evening to try some of the new dishes.

Tartare might be my favorite thing I had there. Ate it slowly and savored every bite. Cocoa nibs, who’da thunk it?

Tofu was a fun combination. Could have used more of the salty black sesame crunch, that really made the dish.

Halibut was nice, great sauce.

Roasted sunchokes with green almond was a surprising combination. Fun.

Pork belly sandwich from a Tuesday wine bar night a couple of weeks ago. Really looking forward to having that again but was too full.

1 Like

Gonna be a little harder to get a seat. Most are unreserved so maybe show up early on a Wednesday or Thursday.

Celery Salad
lemon verbena chlorophyll, habanero, sardinian sheep’s cheese

Kohlrabi, scallops, charred(?) kelp cream
pickled ??? apples, geranium oil, finger lime

Rockfish ceviche
avocado, pickled Brentwood corn, serrano, huitiacoche

Maitake and ??? potatoes
???

Tokaji//Early Girl Beurre Rouge Mussels
bread and pickled fennel (not from menu description)

Raspberry Cream ??? Cake

Thoughts

Celery salad was very interesting, had a nice bit of persistent (but not overwhelming) heat to it from the habanero. Generous portion, could easily be split 4 ways and still have more than a few bites for everyone.

Scallop dish was inventive, not sure if it totally nailed the execution. Some pretty funky flavor from what I assume was the kelp cream. Scallops themselves were very well done. Thinly-sliced pickled apples were a great accompaniment, less sure about how the kolhrabi played its part. Points for doing something pretty unusual and not totally blowing it :sweat_smile:

Ceviche - fine but boring. A lot of technique to recreate pretty much the exact same flavor profile as a pretty typical ceviche.

Maitake and potatoes - mushrooms were excellent. Totally forgot that the potatoes while I was eating them, since they very much did not remind me of potatoes. Wish I’d taken a picture of the menu to confirm what exactly they’d done to them. Interesting preparation but not sure it’s worth a repeat.

Mussels - A+. Mussels were excellent, fennel was good, bread was outstanding (and a strong showcase of their “fermentation-driven” ethos).

Cake - good, though with the exception of the raspberry jam, a bit surprisingly “textbook” compared to the rest of the menu. Not complaining, though; it was tasty.

Not food

The patio in the back is nice, aesthetic reminds me a bit of some spaces in Venice (i.e. Gjusta). Seating isn’t super comfortable if you don’t have a chair, though - they have thin cushions on the benches but there’s no back support unless you’re in front of a wall, which still isn’t great for leaning on.

They are in fact still verifying people’s vaccination status, along with ID, which would’ve ended poorly except that one of my friends had the other’s vaccine passport on their phone.

Bill was $37 per person (no drinks). Could’ve put down another dish without trouble, though you could also just swap out the ceviche for something more substantial. Still feels like a good deal. Possibly the first place I’ve eaten at in the 3 months I’ve been here which is representative of the kind of thing that I find special about LA dining.

What reminded you of LA?

Hard to pin it down exactly… probably just the “progressive CA cuisine” vibes, broadly speaking. My impression is that there’s a lot more of that kind of thing in SF but I hate crossing the bridge.

The only SF restaurant I know of with cuisine similar to DayTrip’s was AL’s Place, which closed recently.

Meteora seems vaguely similar, but DayTrip’s kitchen’s focus is on making the food taste good.

1 Like