December 2020 Rundown

Awww! Baby Yoda! :two_hearts:

7 Likes

That is A LOT of pepperoni on that pizza @Piglet.

Rewarding myself after an arduous week at work by going to the newly-opened Sunset Sushi (East Hollywood). It’s where Ma’am Sir used to be. Their new online site (hosted by Square) was a bit wonky this evening, so I went and ordered in person instead.

Despite the rather desolate streets during this lockdown, I manage a random celeb sighting: Sung Kang, cruising by in his custom Datsun 240Z. Nice ride. #2Fast

The food was excellent! The shari was surprisingly top notch!

Premium Kaisen Chirashi did not disappoint (delicious rice; outstanding QPR). And the torotaku as well as the avocado kani cut rolls really hit the spot as well.

Saba Battera was bonkers good to boot. Perfect density of packing, with superb hikarimono umami.

Empty Sunset Boulevard at 7:45PM. Keep up the good lockdown work, L.A.! Our case numbers locally are definitely up, but seeing how seriously people are taking isolation during this phase gives us providers hope. Stay safe.

30 Likes

My dad had a couple of those back in the day. When he ordered his first one, he wasn’t able to pick the color. You got what you got. Great memories.

4 Likes

Looks really good (minus the gold flakes). Didn’t know about this place.

Would you say they are up there with the top sushiyas in the city based on your experience? I’ve always wondered why no one opened a top omakase sushiya in Silver Lake. Feel like it would do really well (during normal times).

1 Like

One slice is a meal. Two slices is a coma.

2 Likes

Off topic: if you so choose, you can get car that’s not dissimilar in style in a few months (I think). The “concept” was the same color… :slight_smile:

Back on topic.

1 Like

Such a nice ride!! My dad has a ‘71. Yeah they’re really fun, especially in the hills

9 Likes

They just opened. Their rice is tops, so that’s a big deal to me. I need to do a proper takeout omakase (which I did not do last night simply 'cuz I felt like chirashi and roll) to see if they belong in top A+ echelon of L.A. sushi.

9 Likes

Take out at Wadatsumi and chestnuts from Hiyasa. I waited 6 minutes for fresh chestnuts. Nothing like a warm chestnut.

The bento boxes are Wadatsumi were great. Each bento box comes with salad, rice and miso soup. The skirt steak and filet mug on tonkatsu held up ok during the 45 minute drive home. Still tasted great but the tonkatsu was a bit soggy understandably. The family sashimi pack is awesome. So much fun to eat with the kids. They provide rice and a lot of nori wrappers. Options included spicy tuna, California rolls and salmon skin. The sashimi included salmon, tuna, mackerel and tamago. Not bad for $40. Rice was excellent as always.

17 Likes

Just a 1/2 pep 1/2 cheese pie from Pizza Wagon.

Yeah, still awesome.

15 Likes

This little review ain’t going to hurt Dunkin’s bottom line. I don’t get it. This is the worst donuts I have ever had in my life. I can’t even describe just how horrible they are. I love me some low brow food too.
People all over the Mid Atlantic and Northeast love this stuff?

Also the produce on the East Coast is horrible, except for the Amish they have some good apples.

The average pizza place is better though.

The gas stations are awesome!

General Tso’s is fuking delicious.

But Dunkin Donuts is like 1/10

21 Likes

With mori, sunset, and sogo healthcare workers at LAMC kaiser and children’s suddenly have a nice sushi options

2 Likes

DD is just convenience for many since it is never far away but the food and coffee seriously sucks.
Produce obviously isn’t on the same level as in California due to the climate but actually you can get quite good stuff at the right places

1 Like

katsu sando made me katsu sad-o :frowning:

pork was dry, tough and gristly; the soggy, non-adhering “breading” was more like a loosely wrapped pita than something actually fried with the pork; the sandwich itself was poorly constructed and just fell, and i won’t even talk about the hard, dry, toasted crust.

the walnut shrimp wasn’t much better, the shrimp patty wasn’t big enough for the bread so half the sandwich was just bites of bread and slaw.

14 Likes

I agree; I never understood Dunkin’ Donuts appeal. It used to be that towns had local bakeries that put chains like DD to shame.
In my experience produce is much more of a seasonal thing back there. Summer corn, tomatoes and peaches from Jersey or Maryland are incredible.
Try Amish root beer, and birch beer. Good stuff!

2 Likes

I wish I was in that area more often.
What is this?

i miss wawa

2 Likes

Ooops I forgot to include. It was the braised pork char sui. More or less thinly sliced pork belly with green onions and a sauce. It was hard to place the flavor of the sauce but it was great together when you added on top of white rice. Needed to zap for a bit with the 45 min drive.

2 Likes

I am so jealous right now. Any chance for a trade-for-a-day with a Porsche Cayman?

2 Likes