December 2020 Rundown

Damn I’d be down but that datsun is nowhere near LA lol

1 Like

My Wawa order since college: egg salad with provolone, lettuce, tomato, pickles, honey mustard, mayo, and toast only the bread, not the whole sandwich. Pick up a bag of Herrs or Utz chips and whatever Tastykake I’m craving that day (peanut butter kandykake or the classic butterscotch krimpet…mmmm)

Awful, awful donuts. Even as a kid I didn’t like them. There are some mom and pop donut shops in the mid-Atlantic, but they’re just not as common as they are in the LA area. If you’re near Philly at all, Federal Donuts isn’t too bad.

8 Likes

I can’t taste the difference between birch and root, but it’s pretty good. The Amish got baked goods, but holy moly it’s heavy, tasty though.

I get most of my produce at Wegmans. I also don’t get Wegmans, sorry but not sorry Rochester. The Wegmans products are not that great. The sandwiches and chocolate chip cookies are pretty good though. I hope to try more of the local farms.

2 Likes

I wanted to ask that too!

1 Like

My friend made a bodega chopped cheese.

“Hey Papi let me get a chopped cheese with everything”

Not pictured Arizona iced teas or quarter waters.

It is halfway between a burger and cheesesteak. Better than a cheesesteak but not better than a burger.

Very good. I get why this is loved in NYC.

9 Likes

Tanakaya x Cream Pan bang

Soba w/ chicken and green onion

Tonkatsu sando

Kagura Torrance

Mille fuille cheese tonkatsu

Yamacho Hasegawa - Mitsuwa Torrance

Eel dashi tamago

Holbox x Taqueria Vista Hermano bang

Seafood and lentil stew

Al pastor tacos and chicken taquitos

Asadero Chikali - East LA

Chicken al carbon and chorizo al carbon vampiros “Chikali style”

Ali’i Fish Market

Limu poke and lava poke bowl

Signature ahi burger

Olliboli Donuts - Tustin

Cranberry orange raised donut

In n Out

Double double and fries well done

T n T Aloha Cafe

Portuguese sausage mix sub bacon fried rice

21 Likes

So I didn’t realize that the African Chop Truck closes at 2PM on Saturdays, and it doesn’t open on Sunday, so we decided to take scenic drive in Palos Verdes today (which was lovely).

I was starving by the time we finished the scenic portion (in San Pedro) and was desperately looking for something to eat. We passed by Whiskey Flats BBQ. The food looked a bit curious on their IG feed, and the hordes of non-masked patrons standing in close proximity meant that I just get driving. :frowning:

We found a McDonald’s close by, and I recall how a co-worker mentioned her horror at how excited her husband was about the McRib being. I vaguely recall enjoying them as a kid, and I thought the combination of carb and protein would be good, given how hungry I was. And y’all know how much I enjoy McD’s filet x hash.

The BBQ sauce smelled quite nice as I pulled the box out of the bag…

Strange, but none of that odor translated into any flavor. I just got some salt. And I didn’t quite remember the patty from my young looking like a smash rib. Do they grind up rib meat? Very odd. Partner’s Big Mac was honestly better tasting.

At any rate, the McDonald’s was just to hold us over until we could make it to Wadatsumi. Driving through Torrance (or, at least, that section of Torrance) was a trip b/c you had a Chinese restaurant in what appeared to be in what was an old Wienerschnitzel that was two doors down from a Mexican restaurant on one side and next to an actual Wienerschnitzel on the other side. And that was all a few blocks down from a Baptist church w/ an LCD screen encouraging parishioners to like them on FB.

They wrap the wagyu kalbi so nicely!

It doesn’t photograph well and was a bit on the light side even live, but it tasted lovely. So soft and tender. Grated daikon and wasabi on the side refreshed the palate nicely btw bites.

Chirashi was very fresh-tasting, and the tamago wasn’t overly sweet. Yum.

Noticed the Hiyasa chestnut place just a few doors down in the same strip mall, so will have to try that next time…

Not photographed: some sort of saffron pastry from Clark Street consumed the day b/f. For reasons that are entirely unclear, I apparently strongly associate the smell of saffron w/ eating shrimp, so eating that pastry made me think I was eating a shrimp-flavored pastry. Bizarre.

16 Likes

This weekend - Tom’s Burgers in Boyle Heights. The burger and the breakfast burrito were both forgettable. The onion rings are good.

Tulsi Indian in dtla. Vegetarian place with online only menu - usually for my dining adventures I do pick up only. The menu was sparse of text, and I dislike quizzing the lone employee about different menu items. I got a three item combo and a two item combo + not inspiring pakora + garlic naan. It was good not great - easy for me to get there and was a happy introduction of flavors I haven’t been getting lately.
https://tulsieatery.com/locations/

3 Likes

On Friday night we got dinner from Tar and Roses, and it was delicious. It was my first time going in years. The singaporean chili crab cake and fish sauce eggplant were outstanding, as was the curry shellfish pot. And that strawberry crostata has always been great.

Yesterday, we tried Tamales Elena and it was honestly a pretty substantial letdown with one exception. For tamales, I honestly prefer me gusta tamales from Pacoima, which is often at farmers’ markets around town. I found the masa dense, and the flavors of the fillings dull. Also, fuck, that green salsa was spicy, and I say this as someone who likes a lot of spice. The chilaquiles were one of the worst versions I’ve had; the flavors were completely one note, and had me craving Anaya.

On the other hand, we did have one excellent dish. The Aporreadillo, which is a stew of beef jerky and eggs, was honestly just delicious. The depth of flavor was off the charts. If you’re in the area, I’d try this.

5 Likes

I haven’t tried the famous and popular tamale vendors any time recently, but I love Me Gusta. There is something just “right” w/ their tamales (esp the queso con rajas).

Have never tried Tar and Roses. Will need to add that to my list. And the aporreadillo.

1 Like

We helped ourselves to some poke at Ali’i. We started with the traditional, which was fantastic but made me super curious about the limu.

My girlfriend does not usually enjoy raw fish or most seafood, but she enjoyed her spicy poke. It has more of a kick than I expected, which is not a bad thing.

The smoked ahi dip was like crack, and would not have been out of place at a Jewish deli. It is packed with smoke, and the homemade potato chips are great too. I could have eaten another order of these no problem.

14 Likes

pls elaborate

I misspoke. The traditional poke did not have a marinade so I got curious about another option which I believe has a shoyu marinade.

Got these chips at Los Toros Market on Garvey near Banh Mi Saigon based on the recommendation from @A5KOBE in the October thread. Nice flavor and texture, not too salty or oily. The employees are friendly and helpful.

Also, this Los Toros does offer a big selection of cooked foods. Was thinking about trying, but I had already gotten my egg banh mi.

5 Likes

I do enjoy their habanera salsa, great flavor is it is pretty darn spicy. Never had their cooked foods, but I do see people buying their tamales all the time.

1 Like

Had a very good experience with take out carnitas from Flaco in east Hollywood as recommended by the taco scout, Javier Cabral.

The packaging is next level-everything held up well with a special taco stand container. It was loaded with carnitas and while it doesn’t have any offals, skin, stomach and off parts, it’s still really satisfying with texture contrast from some crispy bits. The garlic confit is a nice cheffy touch.

Kernel of truth blue corn tortilla is great. Great addition to the neighborhood.

10 Likes

2nd this, lovely folks as well. Glad that they sell the carnitas by the lb, very strong takeaway move.

2 Likes

Pre-bought some pints of Chul’s wonderful stuff from Be Happy Ice cream, to celebrate the arrival of the vaccine…

Received the first dose of the vaccine Thursday, made it home after another 14 hours of work after that, and enjoyed my treat. Both were delicious (perfect creaminess), with the Egg Nog being downright boozy! Stay safe out there. It’s crazy right now in the hospitals of SoCal. #TheLastLineOfDefense

36 Likes

Glad you were also able to get the vaccine. Once again, thank you very much for your service!
We should all try to stay home, order takeout (if you can), mask up and be responsible citizens as we try to get through this.

16 Likes

Glad you have the vaccine!

I read this line as the vaccine was delicious creaminess and went whut?!? Think I need more coffee :joy:

10 Likes