Delightful Cakes and Japanese Cream Puffs - Nagomi Cake House [Thoughts + Pics]

duplicate

14 Likes

So glad that you enjoyed it, @Chowseeker1999! It’s a delight…I need to try that sakura mousse.

2 Likes

Surprised by this as I thought you were more a savory than sweet person, but beautiful pics, and great write-up (as always!). Thank you (although I am a savory rather than sweet person myself)!

1 Like

Hi @attran99,

Thank you for the recommendation! :blush: It’s a cute little shop, and their assortment of Japanese Cakes are wonderful. What’s your favorite Dessert there?

Hi @ebethsdad,

Thanks! Oh, you’re right: I enjoy savory more than sugar. :wink: But once in a while, I get that craving. :slight_smile: Also, great Desserts deserve to be celebrated, and Nagomi has a few here that are tasty without being a sugar overload (like too many places).

2 Likes

@Chowseeker1999 the strawberry cake, cream puff, and chestnut desserts are my go-tos there.

2 Likes

Glad you enjoyed it! It’s a fave of ours too. And while it’s not as good as Chantilly… it’s a bit cheaper and open later! We hardly get to Chantilly because of their hours…

1 Like

That pretty in pink Sakura Mousse looks like it’s made for a princess in a Disney movie. :cake: :two_hearts:

2 Likes

This place has been on my to-try list for a long time but I finally got to try it on New Year’s Day! Driving from Echo Park to Gardena was a breeze since there was no traffic :grin:

I got the 5-inch strawberry cake ($22) and it was seriously so good. How do these bakeries get their cake to be so light and fluffy, without being dry at all? I had this cake in my fridge for a good five days and kept taking small slices of it, and it never dried out (the frosting got a little hard around the edges but not a big deal) The whipped cream frosting is also my favorite. I have never liked American-style buttercream, which is usually too heavy, dense and super sweet. Give me whipped cream style frosting from any Asian bakery!

My husband and I ate the matcha cake slice the day we got it, and I liked how there was one layer of strawberry cream to help counter the slight bitterness of the matcha. The cream filling is so good, not too sweet at all.

Cream puff- I ate it the next day but the craquelin on top was still crispy/crunchy. The custard filling was so good! Not too sweet and not too liquidy or thick, just right.

The chestnut mont blanc I ate 2 days after I bought it, but the cake itself was still moist and fluffy. The chestnut flavor definitely came through, and the candied chestnut on top and inside was a good textural addition.

I would definitely go back to try more stuff. I wish it was closer to me!

11 Likes

Hi @hanhgry,

Thanks for the report back and great pics! :slight_smile: That’s great to hear their entire strawberry cake was also excellent. It’s not surprising considering their individual servings are still so moist, fluffy and nicely balanced. :slight_smile:

Have you ever been to Patisserie Chantilly yet? (Also in the South Bay.) If not, they’re worth a visit as well, to do a comparison of their Cream Puffs with Nagomi’s. And I think Chantilly’s Chestnut Mont Blanc is incredible (along with many other Desserts). :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have never been to Patisserie Chantilly but I definitely want to try it! It’s just so far from me so the only time I could go is when I have a day off or the weekend. Maybe this weekend I can go since I have MLK Day off from work :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @hanhgry,

Totally understandable. If you do get to go, take a look at the FTC thread I linked for pics and thoughts. Definitely get one of their Black Sesame Cream Puffs and regular Cream Puffs at least. :wink:

2 Likes

Great report @Chowseeker1999 The Mont Blanc looks more traditional like those sold in Japan than P. Chantilly’s - I hope to try it some day.

Frances Patisserie, formerly in Little Tokyo and now in South Pasadena also offers Mont Blanc - would be interested in your take so I can enjoy vicariously without the calories :wink:

1 Like

Hi @foodshutterbug,

Thanks. :slight_smile: And thanks for the reminder on Frances Patisserie. I thought I read somewhere that they were moving. But as for living vicariously without the calories, nooo! I was hoping you or @attran99 or @PorkyBelly would try it first and save me calories! :smile:

1 Like

Frances Bakery is no longer in Little Tokyo. Its replacement, Tous Les Jours, is but a shadow of the former glory that was Frances. :frowning:

5 Likes

Frances Patisserie is in South Pasadena now, off of Fair Oaks near the 110

2 Likes

Update 1 (To-Go):

While we’ve temporarily lost Patisserie Chantilly during this shutdown, it was great to see Nagomi Cake House still open for those wanting to satisfy their Japanese Cream Puff craving. :slight_smile:

We really appreciated the social distancing layout with customers waiting 6 feet apart, and only 1 customer allowed up to the display case to choose their Cakes / Desserts at a time.

(New) Hojicha Pudding:

A new seasonal item, Nagomi has added a Hojicha (Roasted Japanese Green Tea) Pudding. Taking a bite: Wow. If you love Hojicha, then this Dessert is for you. :smile: Potent, fragrant Roasted Japanese Green Tea flavor pervades every bite of this chilled Pudding. :slight_smile:

Sakura Mousse:

Their Sakura (Japanese Cherry Blossom) Mousse is probably their prettiest Dessert on the menu. :blush: Lovely pink, little gel cubes that make it look like a pile of jewels on top. There was a tropical, light Coconut flavor coming through on this visit (a new twist from our previous try). Loved this. :heart: (@hanhgry @TheCookie @attran99 @chinchi)

Soft Souffle Cheesecake:

We haven’t tried Nagomi’s Cheesecakes before. Their Soft Souffle Cheesecake is light and airy, delicate and nothing like the usual stodgy Cheesecakes found in many places. It had a faint savory edge to balance out the sweetness.

Cream Puff (Custard):

Served chilled (make sure you eat this in your “4 person dining room” (your car) ASAP), the Choux Pastry has enough density to hold it all together, but is not as refined as Patisserie Chantilly’s legendary Choux à la Crème, however, then you get the Custard Cream hitting your mouth, and it’s so balanced, not overly sweet, silky, lush, but light, and SO GOOD! :heart: (@PorkyBelly @JeetKuneBao @TheCookie @attran99 and others.)

It is great QPR at only $2.75 each (and it’s like twice the size of Chantilly’s).

Nagomi Cake House is still chugging along during the pandemic, a great venue to pick up some tasty, light Japanese Cakes and Desserts To-Go. (They also have a variety of Birthday / Celebration Cakes as well.) If it’s your first time, don’t miss out on their Coconut Mango Mousse, Crispy Marron Cake (Chestnut), and Sakura Mousse. But no matter what you pick, make sure you get at least 1 of their outstanding Cream Puffs on the way out. One of the best versions of the Japanese Cream Puff available right now, bringing a little bit of joy to fill your day.

Nagomi Cake House
15915 S. Western Ave., Suite #D
Gardena, CA 90247
Tel: (310) 780-5579

https://www.nagomi-cakehouse.com/eng/

12 Likes

There’s that pretty Disney Princess Cake again!

2 Likes

Those cream puffs are crack. I can eat 2-3 of them without realizing it. I have to buy at least half a dozen or there’s a fight in my household.

2 Likes

Note to self, don’t come on a holiday. The bakery was hit hard by all the other Father’s Day shoppers.

This was all that was left at 1:30PM today. Cream puffs all sold out.

6 Likes