Detroit Pizza

It has an unfortunately simple name. As @robert points out it is not a “cheese product” but an actual cheese. It has a very high butterfat percentage, and a variety of funk levels depending on how long it has been aged. Generally young brick cheese is used for Detroit pizzas, but it looks like @robert is using an aged one.
I agree that some pizza styles are hard to understand. My wife is a staunch New York devotee, and has no comprehension of my love for classic Neapolitan. All I can offer is that Detroit pizza is delicious when made properly. Its not fricking Domino’s.

3 Likes

Wrong answer

1 Like

Or . . . you could actually try it and find out for yourself. I mean. Life is crazy like that.

3 Likes

Well, some people actually like t-crump, too…its the right answer for me…I just think that, like Chicago pan or deep dish pizza, its to much…to each his own

don’t really need to try it, frommtron, if I’m stoned, I’m sure id “love” it…

and any connection to Limberger aint gonna win me over…might as well melt down a pair of gym socks that have accumulated weeks of funk w/o washing and put that on a pan of dough!

1 Like

When it comes to beer, cheese and rhum I’m all in!

1 Like

Detroit-style looks a bit like Chicago-style deep dish but it’s not heavy. The crust is somewhere between focaccia and NY-style Sicilian. If you don’t like crisp crust with caramelized cheese …

2 Likes

La(myopic)pizzamaven

2 Likes

like I said, if stoned, I’m sure id try it and like it…would never go out of my way to order it…so it goes…

Ah, name-calling…just don’t prefer the excessive qualities of these midwestern styles

Let’s go out to eat. I’ll bring the meal enhancers you bring the meal.

1 Like

The ratio of cheese and fat to dough by weight in Detroit-style pizza is lower than a lot of slices I’ve had in New York.

1 Like

What do you define as midwestern style? Deep Dish? Because it’s debatable whether that is the most popular style of pizza in its own city. St Luis style is thin crust. People have pointed out all of the wrong assumptions you are making about Detroit Style. Hence, myopic.

Some people don’t like Detroit pizza. A lot of people do. Making uniformed criticisms of the style with no research or experience eating it is silly.

3 Likes

thanks for your great insights…st Louis improved crap…again, these midwestern styles turn me off…provel “cheese…” whatever! theres no shortage of great pizza in LA these days so you can have your Deeeetroit style!

To date, I’m not sure anyone on this board has found a good example of Detroit-style in LA.

2 Likes

I would love a rec if someone has one in the la area. Hell I’ll settle for jets pizza at this point

1 Like

Purgatory’s and Steel Pan’s look right in the photos above.

1 Like

I would say L A does a good mock up on regional foods . But then again its not Detroit. Different attitudes and different tastes.

:laughing: