Dish of the Month, December 2017 -- STEAK

Please post delicious descriptions and photos of STEAK. And yes, definitions are broad.

Let’s set the bar low with a homemade ribeye from Ralph’s

13 Likes

My homemade ribeye from Ralphs…

10 Likes

When do you add the thyme? (I have a patch of it so always have it on hand.)

I usually add it when butter basting while searing the second side.

My home made ribeye:

5 Likes

I cook it in the cast iron skillet with the butter.

2 Likes

That’s oregano and rosemary and garlic. I flavor the oil with it then take it out, then when basting with butter I put it back in

Cantonese-style steak filet, from Hop Woo (West L.A. location)…

6 Likes

That looks great!. Is the steak chewy or tender - not that I’d care.

1 Like

Tender as heck. One of my favorite bites of beef in all of Los Angeles.

1 Like

It looks as now sounds luscious!

Thank god for the Jaccard.

It allows for every Chinese restaurant to sell “French style filet mignon” using nothing but top round, or even chuck.

3 Likes

We all know the prices they are charging for such tasty bovine dishes cannot possibly allow the business to stay out of the red unless some magical (read: cost-effective) tenderization process is going on behind the scenes…

Whatevs. Let them eat beef.

1 Like

Looks great! Sorry for the thread drift, but what other dishes stand out at Hop Woo?

Work dinner surf & turf, Palm Restaurant (DTLA)…

7 Likes

interesting. i had a late night beef chow fun at the arcadia garden cafe last night and i was struck by the tenderness of the beef. i figured it was a mix of baking soda & corn starch

A home cooked (by my mother using her mother’s recipe) contribution to DotM: steak and kidney pie for Christmas dinner. I only tried the smallest slice since I came down with the stomach flu Christmas Eve (which turned out to be a bad idea given the richness of the pie :nauseated_face:) but I’ll be enjoying leftovers tonight now that I’m on the mend.

7 Likes

Doesn’t the timing suck?! I came down with a cold Saturday and have been starving the cold. But feeding the fever has been ok (beer, wine, repeat).

2 Likes

I had what I think was the stomach flu for Thanksgiving. Missed out on all of the yummy food as I spent the holiday in the bathroom :face_with_thermometer: But, like you, I was able to intake wine/beer at least!! :laughing:

2 Likes

Telling my wife, “Doctor LAgirl said I can pick up my prescription at BevMo.”

1 Like