Dish of the Month (DoTM) -- DECEMBER 2016 -- GONADS, PIES, AND CURRY

(Hi, folks. So I got called away at 11:59AM today, so I don’t know if the final votes came through on-time. But I trust you all to be honest. :slight_smile:

Following @MaladyNelson’s suggestion, I’ve decided to declare co-winners for this month. Pies made a surprising comeback, so…

START POSTING YOUR CURRY AND YOUR PIE. AND BONUS STYLE POINTS FOR SOMEONE WHO COMBINES BOTH IN A DISH. :smiley:

Sorry, gonads. I was kind of looking foward to it, too… :wink: Maybe next year…)

@ipsedixit: pin, please. :slight_smile:

EDIT: It was a 3-way tie! See post #11 for an explanation of what we’re doing this month.

In the future, I’m going to use @Bookwich’s suggestion and have @nosh be the tie breaker in the future! :smiley:

1 Like

Wait a minute, if you count @J_L’s write-in vote for SPERM/EGGS/GONANDS it should have been a three way tie. I demand a recount.

9 Likes

Where’s the electoral college when gonads needs one?

6 Likes

Do hand pies count?

2 Likes

What @PorkyBelly said! It is technically a three-way tie if @J_L’s vote is counted.

And because @nosh was the only one that voted for fries, which are out, I say he gets to change his vote and break the tie. (No pressure.)

4 Likes

I didn’t vote. I’ll go for gonads.

Man that looks weird without context.

8 Likes

It’s rigged.

Trump says it should be anything from KFC for the month.

3 Likes

I’ll fund a recount in the three contested categories.

8 Likes

He has NO GONADS - but he sure likes to grab 'm.

Didn’t he CURRY favour with some very unsavory characters? Something oxyMORONish about CURRY and unsavory.

Does he ever stop whining? He needs to shut his PIE-hole.

It’s his month no matter how you look at it.

7 Likes

Ohmigod, you’re right! Sorry, I just got empaneled on a jury, and I was brain dead after we got out today.

Okay, I’m a gonna make it a 3-dish month! And, if you have a problem w/ that, well…

6 Likes

I believe so. :slight_smile:

1 Like

And here is a lovely dish to start things off.

A recipe from Rosemary and Porkbelly (I kid you not).
http://rosemaryandporkbelly.co.uk/recipes/savoury/curried-egg-pie/

7 Likes

Beef curry pie from JJ Bakery (Torrance location) on the bottom right.

11 Likes

Now that we have that settled, where can i get some fucking chochin yakitori–the unformed egg yolk still attached to the ovary.

1 Like

I had lunch, wth a side of CURRY.

And I would just like to say, Misasa’s #33 (the “Stamina”) may look like a simple vegetable stir fry, but somehow, they get that magical, elusive wok hei that most Chinese restaurants don’t.

Misasa, Mitsuwa Food Court
Venice Blvd./Centinela, Mar Vista

8 Likes

Picked up some 'Nads for dinner

12 Likes

Casia

9 Likes

[quote=“paranoidgarliclover, post:1, topic:4717”]
have @nosh be the tie breaker in the future!
[/quote]Good idea.

1 Like

I was looking forward to returning to Taj Tandoori since I enjoyed my previous meal there so much. I ordered the palak paneer with garlic naan again, and I told the owner how I really appreciated his restraint with the cream. Once again, he was very warm and welcoming.

However, when I opened up my meal at home, I noticed that the color of my palak paneer was several shades lighter. My fears were confirmed, as the curry was too mild, excessively creamy, and the texture was quite smooth. All that glorious funk was gone - the swampy green, murky color, the fragrant aromatics, and the prominent ginger kick was replaced by a pleasantly bland, yet rather meek curry. I can only imagine this is due to several complaints on Taj Tandoori’s Yelp page regarding the spiciness of their food, as reported by @Bigmouth previously:

I’m not giving up hope yet. Next time I go there, I’ll see if I can convince the owner to make the spicier/less creamy version of the dish. Let’s see how it goes, but I’m pretty sad about this turn of events. :cry:

4 Likes