Dish of the Month (DoTM) -- DECEMBER 2016 -- GONADS, PIES, AND CURRY

bring out your phone and use pictures. “I want it like this, not this”.

2 Likes

The uni selections at Nijiya and Mitsuwa over the past weekend have been absolutely shite.

1 Like

Oh yes, I will definitely do this, @Ns1. Thanks for the suggestion. I would be really sad if I couldn’t have their superior version of palak paneer - at least to my palate. To quote George Clinton:

We want the funk
Give up the funk
We need the funk
We gotta have that funk

5 Likes

Egg Custard Tarts

Harbor Villa Restaurant
Diamond Heights Blvd., S.F.

10 Likes

[quote=“MaladyNelson, post:24, topic:4717, full:true”]
To quote George Clinton:

We want the funk
Give up the funk
We need the funk
We gotta have that funk
[/quote]I :heart: this girl.

1 Like

Yum yum yummm!

See, that’s what makes me avoid Uni in most restaurants. I don’t know enough about the good or the bad. I mean, I know S.B. is supposed to be superior - thanks to you guys and Top Chef :relaxed:. But what criteria do you use to judge good or bad: smell, texture, color, taste?

Don’t discount the San Diego stuff. Absolutely the best uni I’ve ever had has been at Taka, a touristy but still quite good place in the Gaslamp district.

1 Like

Ahh… I have noticed more reports on S.D. Uni lately. Thanks.

I go directly to the wholesalers…

For the SB/SD variety. Should taste like clean, creamy, oceany, custard. No fishiness at all. Firm, with well defined surface texture i.e not mushy… Bright Orange/yellow color.

See pic below, this was a very fine batch of SD uni

4 Likes

Uni should be smooth and creamy on the tongue and have a delicate briny flavor, never “fishy” or gritty or too firm. Also, raw uni should be served slightly cool or at room temperature. My biggest peeve with uni is when it is served at a cold refrigerator temp. I send it back.

1 Like

Crumb apple pie from Riley’s Farm in Oak Glen. Love the filling, apple still retains a slight crunch and it’s not too sweet.

4 Likes

Okay. That seems pretty simple.

We had this at Cassia, which most Food Talkers love (for the most part we did too).

Chino Valley Egg Custard (Sea urchin roe, braised mushrooms) / Clay Oven Baked Breads

(added chrome because it was really dark)
Maybe it was the dish itself, so I couldn’t judge the uni properly. But the whole thing had an strong, astringent taste. It had an ocean taste, but not a clean, fresh one. The most prominent ocean taste was more like not fresh abalone.

On the other hand I had uni at Izaka-Ya by Katsu-Ya on 3rd, which most Food Talkers scorn - and it tasted just as you guys describe. But I would imagine, with the access we have to it, it would be a crime for a sushi spot to not serve decent uni. So maybe @J_L will expound on what qualifies as “shite”.

I’ve got a busy month. But this DOTM is a good opportunity for me to try and get my uni on.

2 Likes

Santa Barbara Uni, few weeks ago at Ohshima.

Melt in yo mouth creaminess, sweet and briney. One bite happiness

3 Likes

Looks lovely btw.

The Al Bap at A-Won!!

4 Likes

Okay never mind @J_L. I guess “shite” would be the opposite of what these folks are describing, especially that “defined surface texture.” I guess that would signify it right away.

Globules :grin:

1 Like

This is going to be fun.