Dish of the Month (DoTM) -- DECEMBER 2016 -- GONADS, PIES, AND CURRY

SB uni should look like a cat’s tongue after it drinks a bottle of Tang.

7 Likes

Great. I happen to have the cat. Now I just need to find some Tang and deprive her of liquids for days, so she’ll be willing to drink anything.

5 Likes

Gorgeous

1 Like

[quote=“Bookwich, post:33, topic:4717”]
never “fishy” or gritty or too firm
[/quote]Gotcha’. But what does it mean when it’s too firm?

[quote=“PorkyBelly, post:15, topic:4717, full:true”]
Now that we have that settled, where can i get some fucking chochin yakitori–the unformed egg yolk still attached to the ovary.
[/quote]Suprisingly enough, I might want to try that… me being an egg lover and all.

[quote=“wienermobile, post:19, topic:4717”]
Casia
[/quote]Hi @wienermobile-

Hadn’t noticed this before I posted about my experience with the dish. You being more of an intrepid food seeker than myself and probably know more about uni and egg custard - what was your take? I liked it, but it was strong tasting.

Thanks

Right back atcha, @TheCookie!

1 Like

Yes, you never want it to be pale, lifeless, and limp like this

4 Likes

Achtung! Watch out for the grabbing of gonads. Not even gonna mention the grabbing of our other dishes of the month ;-D

7 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

Everyone here already gave you some great descriptors to look for visually and texture-wise, but one other factor is just not possible to tell until it’s in your mouth:

Taste.

On our old board, many of the respected Hounds used to talk a lot about the final taste of Uni, and how even at great Sushi restaurants, sometimes it’s just a bit short of perfection.

After reading their posts on the subject, we started paying more attention when we ate Uni, and we could start understanding what they were talking about. Stuff like how most Uni (even great quality ones) might still have a touch of (semi-bad) brininess / ocean-y aftertaste.

I think we’ve gotten lucky once where the Uni was totally, completely creamy, sweet with zero aftertaste. :open_mouth: That was pretty amazing. :slight_smile:

If your dish at Cassia had a bad aftertaste, that probably was the Uni being not very fresh / top quality.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, I think you may have gotten some not so fresh uni at cassia. From your picture the uni looks kind of soft and melty with no distinct “globules” as @Sgee describes it.

This is what i got

2 Likes

Good uni will taste like smooth ocean butter.

Bad uni will give you a gag reflex.

3 Likes

Got it!

[quote=“J_L, post:50, topic:4717”]
Not even gonna mention the grabbing of our other dishes of the month ;-D
[/quote]Very good. Are you and @PorkyBelly related? Between the two of you…

[quote=“Chowseeker1999, post:51, topic:4717”]
the final taste of Uni,
[/quote]At the end of the day, taste is everything. I unknowingly detected a bad piece of Uni at Cassia based on taste. After seeing these posts and pictures - then looking at my dish again - I now know why. Thanks.

1 Like

[quote=“PorkyBelly, post:52, topic:4717”]
From your picture the uni looks kind of soft and melty with no distinct “globules”
[/quote]I definitely see the difference.

[quote=“Sgee, post:34, topic:4717”]
from Riley’s Farm in Oak Glen.
[/quote]Apple picking! I bookmarked for next fall. I love apple season. Too bad this didn’t make November DoTM… not scolding or anything :slight_smile:.

Riley’s mentioned on their site, it was a low-crop year. Which explains why I’m not finding tasty apples this season. Last year you could find delicious apples even at Ralph’s.

2 Likes

Apple picking season was over this past weekend. Their Arkansas black variety was quite good - crunchy and sweet. Bought a 3lb bag.

2 Likes

Bad uni tastes like good cat piss. Or was it the bad version? :thinking:

1 Like

So it takes like Corona?

5 Likes